What year yz450 handles the best?

13 replies to this topic
  • x2stroker

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:02 PM

Hey Guys! I've been riding my 03 for 3 years now and I'm about ready to trade her in. I loved the power and reliabilty and I'm gonna miss her. But, I'm hoping the later models won't have the top heavy feel of the 03.

As far as handling goes, how far has Yami progressed with the later bikes and which year is the best? I'm leaning towards a used one but a new one isn't completely out of the question...

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:03 PM

2007, but the 2006 is light years ahead of any of the previous years.

• x2stroker

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:09 PM

Do the 06 / 07 models really handle that much better? How about the 04 and 05 models, are they superior to the 03?

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:13 PM

I haven't ridden the 07 but my 06 handles sooooo much better than my 05 CRF and the 03 YZ450 that it's not even funny. Yes, it handles that much better. It feels like a 125 sized bike.

• Reyndogg

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:24 PM

Do the 06 / 07 models really handle that much better? How about the 04 and 05 models, are they superior to the 03?

I couldn't care less if you buy one or not, so this is completely unbiased - there is absolutely NO comparison between the 03/04/05 vs. the 06. It's not even close. I rode a 2005 YZ450F for ONE lap and brought it back to the pits right away...the owner of that 05 that took my 06 out didn't come back for about 20 min. What does that tell you?

The 2006 YZ is unreal. I couldn't be happier with it, and there isn't a bike at any dealership today that I would trade it for :thumbsup:

That's my .02, your mileage may vary. :ride:

• x2stroker

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:27 PM

What size are you RedBeard? I'm 5' 10" 165lbs and I've never been able to flick it around. I've gotten a lot better but it's not like riding my friends 2 stroke 250's....

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:31 PM

What size are you RedBeard? I'm 5' 10" 165lbs and I've never been able to flick it around. I've gotten a lot better but it's not like riding my friends 2 stroke 250's....

6'1" 185lbs. The 06 YZ isn't small but sure feels that way.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:52 PM

The '06 is so far superior to the '03 that it's...well night and day is a start, but it's really not adequate. The bike weighs the same to the pound as the '05 did, but it feels 25-30 pounds lighter when you're riding it. And RedBeard is right, it feels almost like a 125 in the way it responds to rider input. There's no stubbornness or resistance to doing what you want it to. In fact there's almost a willingness to work with you, as if it were a good field hound or something. It's the most amazing transition I can remember a motorcycle making from one year model to the next.

And the words of guys like RedBeard carry a certain weight. Love 'em or hate 'em for good reason or blind prejudice, the CRF450 is a truly great motorcycle. It has faults that kept me from owning one, but regardless of that, the bike deserves the majority of the praise it's gotten over the years. When people who have owned 3 of them jump ship and say that the new YZF "handles sooooo much better than my 05 CRF and the 03 YZ450 that it's not even funny. Yes, it handles that much better.", that's something to consider.

The '04 was an '03 with better forks. The '05 was an '04 with even better forks and a milder engine. Except for the better suspension, there is no difference in how the 3 handle, except that the older ones can utilize the "monster" character of the power curve to make up for some of their other shortcomings. The '06 stands several levels above any of them. Really.

Ride one once; you'll see.

• x2stroker

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for the info grayracer. You've sold me. I would give up some power for handling as my 03 has more than I need. I'll start my search this weekend!

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:26 AM

Hey Guys! I've been riding my 03 for 3 years now and I'm about ready to trade her in. I loved the power and reliabilty and I'm gonna miss her. But, I'm hoping the later models won't have the top heavy feel of the 03.

As far as handling goes, how far has Yami progressed with the later bikes and which year is the best? I'm leaning towards a used one but a new one isn't completely out of the question...

I am not a true YZF guru, but I spent a good amount of time on a buddies '02 426F. A HEAVY slug of a bike. (stay away from these tanks). I spent some time with another buddies 03 YZ450F, that was way better, still felt a bit heavy, but the suspension was great. The power however was brutal off the bottom into the midrange, and I kept stalling the bike. I recently spent some time with a fresh '06 450F (see my "track day" post). Like I commented, there is an amazing difference in the feel, the suspension, and the manners of the new '06 chassis. Yamaha got it perfect with the new aluminum chassis IMO. I am going to take an educated guess the '06 is approx 30 lb lighter than a 426 (feels even more than that). I bet its a good 15 lb lighter than the '03 I rode.

• grayracer513

Posted July 28, 2006 - 08:22 AM

I bet its a good 15 lb lighter than the '03 I rode.

You'd loose the bet. The '06 weighs within a pound of the weight of the '05 model, which was no more than 3 pounds lighter than an '03. The light feel the bike has is a result of some rather brilliant chassis engineering.

A 426 is about 12-15 pounds heavier.

I would give up some power for handling as my 03 has more than I need. I'll start my search this weekend!

Did you know that the '06 pulls bigger numbers on a dyno than the '03 did? 49.8 at 5000 feet! (most good stock '03's are around 48, 49 with a pipe)

The difference is in the ignition advance map. The power is rolled in a bit more gracefully, is all. We ran our two bikes side by side on pavement from a second gear roll, and it was dead even....until the '06 started pulling away on top end.

The explosive nature of the '03 is really a lot more entertaining than it is useful, IMO, and requires an unnecessary amount of mental energy to stay ahead of it. The idea that the '06 is soft or weak in any way is an illusion.

• tammie

Posted July 28, 2006 - 09:17 AM

for those guys that use the 06 yz450 for trails, is it a good bike for this, i assume with heavier fly wheel weight and larger rear sprocket, barkbuster, skid plate etc.........yes i am still on the ancient yz400 but i do love it....but im looking into getting a newer one and by the sounds of it the 06 is great...i wuldn't want to go with anything older then 06 after reading all about ti....but i don't race motorcross, i race enduro and harescrambles and trail ride and my yz400 has been fantastic..........i don't want the WR ive ridden teh 250, 400 and 426 WR and never liked them, they seem taller and heavier and i like the feel of the yz's way better, i am 5'8" 140 lbs female but strong and fit.........so yes i can handle the 400 bikes iv had my yz400 4 years with no probs.....but its time to come into the new millenium............also my car is paid off in a couple months, woohoooooo....

• motobeck

Posted July 28, 2006 - 09:38 AM

Okay, here's my 2 cents... Going from and 02 426 to a 06 450 was night and day! First jump I hit with the new bike, I nearly threw it away. It takes almost no effort to throw it around in the air compared to to ol 426. Don't get me wrong, I love the ol beast (motor is awesome), but she is dated. get yourself an 06... you won't be disappointed!

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 28, 2006 - 10:27 AM

The explosive nature of the '03 is really a lot more entertaining than it is useful, IMO, and requires an unnecessary amount of mental energy to stay ahead of it. The idea that the '06 is soft or weak in any way is an illusion.

My buddy with the '03 added a Steahly flywheel weight, and although I never rode it with the weight, he absolutely loved the smoother power thereafter.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.