Riding a new '06 YZ450F at "track day"

12 replies to this topic
  • Polar_Bus

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:41 AM

Myself, and my buddy headed up to out local practice track in Maine yesterday. I have a KX500 (aka the "man bike"). I have had 6 other KX's, and recently a WR250F. After spending a few hours with my buddies YZF, never in my 22 years of riding and racing have I been able thrown a leg over such a PERFECT bone stock bike and ride so smooth and fluid without ANY complaints. That YZF's suspension is simply magical, thats the only way I can describe it. WOT down the straigts the bike just flows over bumps, perfectly straight, and with ZERO headshake or swapping. I was in total amazement at how small a berm the YZF could catch and STAY in the berm. All this results in a level of "relaxation" that I have never felt aboard any previous MX bike. I work for a Kawasaki and Yamaha dealer, and all my young buddies race, so I get to try lots of newer bikes. Unfortuantely I was forced to give the bike BACK to it's owner.. :thumbsup:. The "man bike" for the most part stayed parked, (or someone was going home in a box) LOL.
To you guys that own one, I absolutely envy you to the max........
To those of you who nit-pick an '06 YZF450, take up chess, you don't belong on a motocross bike........

• 3TV

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:56 AM

You are correct. And another thing, ... I don't think its fair for dealerships to offer test rides on this bike either. I've bought a dozen bikes and ATVs from our dealership over the last few years, but at the moment I happened to be perfectly happy with my 2005 KTM 525. Then I get this wild hare up my ass and decide to just go down to the dealer to look at a 2006 YZ 450F, and the dealer goes and ask me if I want to test drive it. Well dealers NEVER offer test drives on dirt bikes, so I figure I better take the offer while I have it, even though I have no intention of buying the bike. WRONG! I test drive the bike and decide I have to have one just like it, and an hour later its sitting home in my garage. I love the bike, but that test drive was a dirty deal if you ask me, LOL.

Anyone want a lightly used KTM 525? :thumbsup:

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted July 27, 2006 - 10:07 AM

I don't like the seat cover because of it I wreaked my bike. Thats not nit-picking is it?

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 27, 2006 - 10:12 AM

I was perfectly happy with my modded 05 CRF450R until I rode my friends bone stock 06 YZ450, so I bought one the next day. :thumbsup:

• Reyndogg

Posted July 27, 2006 - 10:20 AM

I was perfectly happy with my modded 05 CRF450R until I rode my friends bone stock 06 YZ450, so I bought one the next day. :thumbsup:

My room mate did the exact same 05crf to 06 Yz after riding mine - his is the yellow one too lol

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 27, 2006 - 10:24 AM

My room mate did the exact same 05crf to 06 Yz after riding mine - his is the yellow one too lol

I'm still coming to terms with the lackluster bottom end of the YZ compared to my CRF, but it's still my favorite bike yet. :thumbsup:

Matter of fact, here's a shot of both bikes...
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • whoops dude

Posted July 27, 2006 - 10:27 AM

^^ I'm still shocked that a honda rider went blue...er umm yellow.

• Polar_Bus

Posted July 27, 2006 - 10:32 AM

I don't like the seat cover because of it I wreaked my bike. Thats not nit-picking is it?

I'll let this one slide as "not really nit-picking" this comment is more "low level anal" LOL

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 27, 2006 - 10:33 AM

^^ I'm still shocked that a honda rider went blue...er umm yellow.

I don't discriminate, I regulate! :thumbsup:

BTW - The stock seat cover does suck for seat bouncing as well, not just wheelies!

• Reyndogg

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:16 PM

I changed my 06 (room mate did too) to a 50t rear sprocket; for MX i highly reccomend this change!

• barch88

Posted July 27, 2006 - 03:31 PM

What can we say...the bikes great!

:thumbsup:

• jamiehughes

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:01 PM

i bought my 06 yz450f without ever even riding a 4 stroke bike at all, i was on a 01 yz250 that i had no problems with except that i thought the power for my big ass down low just wasn't there. it was pretty hard for me to jump big obstacles right after a corner. my buddy also on a 2 stroke rode someone else's 4 stroke and told me later that i would love the style of ride that those bikes provided so after a call to my friendly yamaha dealer and 2 faxes and 20 minutes later i was the proud owner of the newest yamaha 4 stroke. we hit the track the next day after setting the sag a little tighter(just so i could break it in) after just 3 corners on the track i was up to the same speed as my 2 stroke and i jumped everything on the track on the first lap that i was already doing on my 2 stroke. i felt totally at home on the bike after just one lap. definetely was a cornering machine. now that i've put the stiffer springs in it doesn't seem to corner as well but i'd rather have a little more stiffness for when i screw up the jumps(which happens quite often) just a pretty amazing bike and i'm glad i lucked out on my first 4 stroke and got the best one made IMO. just my 2 cents worth.

• Reyndogg

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:48 PM

did you get the valving redone w/the springs?

mine turns better w/stiffer spings and revalve front and rear than it did stock...

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.