Hotcam Breakin question.

6 replies to this topic
  • jimbob69

Posted July 27, 2006 - 01:14 AM

I have a question about the hotcam insructions, it says you should recheck valve clearances after the first hour of runtime.

Is this necessary, have you guys done this?

Thats the last thing i want to do all over again after half of a ride, especially if it is unneccesary :thumbsup:

All i want to do is install and riiidde :ride:

• jimbob69

Posted July 27, 2006 - 09:22 AM

Is my question unreasonable?, or does just nobody know?

I really want to know this, my cam should be in on monday..

• mikedabike

Posted July 27, 2006 - 02:53 PM

After I reassembled everything I fired it up and let it run for a couple of minutes to make sure everything was seated and checked the clearances again to make sure I was still in spec. Then I re-checked again after my first ride (which was longer than an hour) and they were still in spec. I think the one hour thing is just a recommendation, if it goes and hour I am sure it will make it a couple more but I would definitely recheck it after your first ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Drfletcherdc

Posted July 27, 2006 - 03:30 PM

I would like to know what difference the cams make if they are worth it.

• 642MX

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:07 PM

My valve clearance didn't change after the Hot Cams installation. I checked it just to be safe.

• 642MX

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:10 PM

I would like to know what difference the cams make if they are worth it.

Oh yea! :thumbsup: The Hot Cams help the mid-range and top end power a lot.

• Birdy426

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:40 PM

I wold check them. The lift on the hot cams is greater than stock, and the ramp up and ramp down angles are a bit steeper. Therefore, your valves are accelerating and decelerating faster than before. If the seats or heads are marginal (ie ready for replacement), your clearances will change rapidly when you install the more aggressive cams. Checking them in about an hour's worth of riding (two or three won't kill you!) will give you a good indication of the health of the rest of your valve train.

Yes, the hot cams do help the midrange and really help the big end!

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.