- - - - -

Just finished adding an Oil Cooler for WR450

• Please sign in to reply

57 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

TT Addict

4,772 posts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 03:15 PM

Indy, Nice job as always... Keep us up to date with your findings on the cooler...

Kind of a coincidence but I finished installing my oil cooler today on my supermoto extreme bike...
She's hard to hang on to............

http://img.photobuck...Lorenze/OC1.jpg

• Dan_Lorenze

TT Addict

4,772 posts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 03:17 PM

Sheeesh, Californians :thumbsup: :cry: :ride: :ride: :crazy: :ride: ...SC

Where's the love Steve-O? :ride:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Get Help Now

6,820 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 27, 2006 - 04:16 PM

Indy, Nice job as always... Keep us up to date with your findings on the cooler...

Kind of a coincidence but I finished installing my oil cooler today on my supermoto extreme bike...
She's hard to hang on to............

http://img.photobuck...Lorenze/OC1.jpg

It does look rather "extreme". Is that one of those honda ct trail bikes?

show us the whole picture...

• Dan_Lorenze

TT Addict

4,772 posts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 05:43 PM

It does look rather "extreme". Is that one of those honda ct trail bikes?

show us the whole picture...

Trust me.. This bike is all extreme.... (yes, I'm being sarcastic)

http://img.photobuck...70Canon2038.jpg

• 300wby

TT Member

65 posts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 05:59 PM

LOL thats awesome!

• LimyWPom

TT Member

60 posts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:02 PM

Hey Dan Lorenze, quality piece of engineering on the supermoto. It doesn't look like it's touched pavement, talk about mint. :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

TT Addict

4,772 posts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:17 PM

Thanks... Yep she's got 400 miles so far.. It's a 125cc 4 speed 1970 CT70, gps'd today at 61mph, I was testing my new oil cooler... Good times....... :thumbsup:
Sorry to hijack the thread...

Back to the drama.... :ride:

• bluebike1999

TT Bronze Member

450 posts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:08 PM

wicked little bike.
just seen your shed/clinic again Dan........time for me to go put some tools away and maybe sweep the shed out.

• clark4131

TT Titanium Member

2,218 posts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:30 PM

Where's the love Steve-O? :thumbsup:

Sorry Dan, I didn't mean to make such a sweeping generalization. My bad. You know you're one of my favorites you big lug :ride:. BTW, the supermoto is beautiful. Gotta love the old school...SC

• Turismo

TT Bronze Member

177 posts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:46 PM

After I have proven out the effectivness of the new cooler I will rework the lines or add a guard extension off of the skid plate.

Why not just build an oil cooler into the skid plate? You might even be able to do away with oil in the frame. Plus have benefit of lower CG, and even more oil capacity.

Good luck with making it all work! :thumbsup:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Get Help Now

6,820 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 27, 2006 - 10:37 PM

Why not just build an oil cooler into the skid plate? You might even be able to do away with oil in the frame. Plus have benefit of lower CG, and even more oil capacity.

Good luck with making it all work! :thumbsup:

My skid plate is designed to take a little punishment. A direct hit to the oil cooler would make for a very, very, very long walk back to camp. I would think that it should be mounted in a place where it could get air flow, but not sustain direct hits from rocks, trees, debri and the more frequent pilot errors!

• Turismo

TT Bronze Member

177 posts

Posted July 27, 2006 - 11:12 PM

My skid plate is designed to take a little punishment. A direct hit to the oil cooler would make for a very, very, very long walk back to camp. I would think that it should be mounted in a place where it could get air flow, but not sustain direct hits from rocks, trees, debri and the more frequent pilot errors!

the front of the skid plate is where I would make it, I have never hit anything with the front of my skid pklate.

• Indy_WR450

Get Help Now

5,303 posts

Posted July 28, 2006 - 04:38 AM

Thanks for all the support guys! :thumbsup:

I will give a full report of the results of a week of riding in mountains of Idaho next weekend. Good thing we are having a heat wave across the country! Ideal test condtions for the new oil cooler! :ride:

• CAW

TT Newbie

16 posts

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:32 AM

What part of Idaho will you be riding?

• jbarnes

TT Newbie

18 posts

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:40 AM

How are the euro chicks at Taylor Park this year?

• GCannon

TT Gold Member

1,396 posts

Posted July 28, 2006 - 12:44 PM

Nice Work Indy Thanks for Sharing.

You have done it again. You are now tasked with gathering more empirical data on various temperatures Oil temperature data, water temperature data, clutch cover temperature data, test conditions I trust you have a plan for gathering this information.

I can't wait to see the results BTW please tell us how you gathered the temperature information.

If you don't have a plan I am sure Clark can write you up one. It should have you laughing all the way up the hill.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Get Help Now

6,820 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted July 28, 2006 - 08:11 PM

the front of the skid plate is where I would make it, I have never hit anything with the front of my skid pklate.

I haven't either, but its not for a lack of trying :thumbsup: I'd have to take a close look, but it I'd be concerned just because the skid plate is there. Afterall, that area is subject to taking a blow, that's why the plate covers is.

Behind the number plate, possibly between the forks looks like a reasonably good place.

But lets wait to see how Indy does with his test. Its like we have a front row seat.

• Indy_WR450

Get Help Now

5,303 posts

Posted July 28, 2006 - 08:12 PM

NCMountainman has the temperature thermocouple with digital readout. :thumbsup:
I have some irreversible omega labels which will indicate how hot the clutch cover gets. When I ride with NCMountainman in late August we can try to get accurate temperature readings. :ride:

I am riding in the Stanley and Baumgartner areas for 5 days of single track heaven! :ride: :cry: :ride: :ride: :crazy:

• rsj450

TT Member

41 posts

Posted July 29, 2006 - 06:45 AM

Indy, very impressive. Being a noob I have learned a great deal from this site and people like you. Thanks !

• old man dan

TT Bronze Member

381 posts

Posted July 29, 2006 - 01:29 PM

I love the idea of an oil cooler (these things run on the ragged edge of overheating in slow going) plus the bonus of more oil capacity. I think if the lines were replaced with hard metal lines you would obviously be safer but the hidden advantage would be even more cooling surface.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.