what p.s.i should i run for sand with a paddle tire

7 replies to this topic
  • dirtrider042

Posted July 26, 2006 - 05:15 PM

I'm going to pismo and not to sure what p.s.i i should run on the front and rear with a paddle ? I ride a 05 Wr450F...Thanks

• jimbob69

Posted July 26, 2006 - 11:59 PM

Your average, 13-15 should be fine. I don't think it would matter as much for sand riding, because sand is such a forgiving surface.

I would imagine you could run low pressures, ie 10psi and under, because pinch flats wont be a problem in sand.

Experiment!, see what you like best, try different pressures!

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:06 AM

I dont have a paddle tire, but most vehicle tires need to have LOW tire pressure in the sand. My truck wont go 2 feet into the sand unless i air the tires down to 15 psi. So, for a paddle, you could start out with standard 15 psi pressure, and slightly drop it until it feels good.

Ever try a fresh knobby in the dunes?

• wes_scooter

Posted July 27, 2006 - 03:32 PM

i've run a paddle tire in sand dunes for a few years now and run as little air as possiable. i'd say 8psi or so. when i sit on the bike i want it to really squat when on the pavement. it hooks up way better than the 15 your suposed to run. run with the valve stem lock nuts so they don't tough the rim and you can tell if the tire starts to spin on the rim. if so add more air or check rim locks. hope this helps. enjoy much better than a knobbie tire on the sand.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrBill1

Posted July 27, 2006 - 03:36 PM

when you going to pismo????? this weekend or August 5th? i ride a 06 WR and i leave mine at 15 and its fine

• briter

Posted July 28, 2006 - 06:57 AM

I run 11 psi at the Emperial Dunes outside of Yuma AZ, It has worked fine for years

• ARin

Posted July 28, 2006 - 01:04 PM

10-11 psi for me.

Posted Image

• BigRichard

Posted July 28, 2006 - 01:17 PM

I don't know how much clearance you have on the WR, but on my CRF the paddle grows and hits the swing arm if I go below 10 psi. I've had all different brands of paddle tires. They don't seem to hook any better with them aired down.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.