Baja Designs lighting upgrades for a 650R

19 replies to this topic
  • philipstjohn

Posted July 26, 2006 - 12:50 PM

Has anyone upgraded their BD lighting kit to really work at night? The 35 watt set up is just not bright enough for me. BD recommends a stator rewind, and then install the PIAA 80/80 watt bulb, which they say will eliminate the dimming a low rpms, and give very good light output. Is this the "hot ticket", or is there a better option? Please give some feedback...thanks

• Supplicate

Posted July 26, 2006 - 12:57 PM

I have the BD rewound stator and Tecate headlight. Its pretty good for night riding.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 26, 2006 - 01:20 PM

Has anyone upgraded their BD lighting kit to really work at night? The 35 watt set up is just not bright enough for me. BD recommends a stator rewind, and then install the PIAA 80/80 watt bulb, which they say will eliminate the dimming a low rpms, and give very good light output. Is this the "hot ticket", or is there a better option? Please give some feedback...thanks

I plan to do the same thing and am in the same boat as you. From what I've heard it's a solid set-up if you can't go HID or to one of the big halogen race lights. I rode at night with a couple of guys on 650R's, I had the BD light with a 55/60w bulb and no rewind on the stator. They both had rewound stators with with the same bulb in one of those glass replacemet lens housing that fits in the stock shell. Theirs were quite a bit brighter. I think (and am hoping) that a rewind with the BD light will be even a bit better, especially with the 80w bulb.

• cleonard

Posted July 26, 2006 - 02:00 PM

You can never have enough lighting at night. I have a BD rewound stator on my 600. I run a 90/110 watt bulb on mine. It does dim a bit at idle, but I think it is still brighter than a 55W bulb. The nice thing is the stator has 2 coils. I still have another that is mostly unused. I'd like to put those extra watts to use as well.

I think the best would be a helmet light as the biggest issue I have is the light doesn't always go where I need it to go.

• XRidiculous

Posted July 26, 2006 - 03:54 PM

90/110 here-just dielectric'd the bulb contacts, but it has lasted forever, and lights up the darkest pine forests. I'd like HID though. Have talked with TrailTech a bit, I am thinking of putting some TT HID's on that other 100 watt leg.

I'm editing this post: You can't use the leg for HID's, they use DC Power. I can use the leg to charge a bigger battery, which in turn can power a HID longer, and after shut off (or a stall) it would suck to lose light on a downhill...

You dont need as much light for a 650, it wont go fast enough with all that weight :thumbsup:

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted July 26, 2006 - 08:38 PM

Far better light with low cost - OEM glass replacement with 55w, no rewind. Works darn good.

Better than that - Stator rewind, OEM glass replacement with 100w bulb. Sweet. This is what I use for prerunning night sections for the Baja 1000 events, I love it.

Better than that - Rewind and Baja D. "Tecate" style light. Very sweet.

Better than that - Baja D or T.Tech choices of 8" race type lights. Spend more $.

• xr650r_Maine

Posted July 26, 2006 - 09:56 PM

I had B/D`s rewind my stock stator 2x125 w/90/100 watt hid and it burns the bugs as they fly by... I installed thier ez-mount D/S lighting kit works great :thumbsup:

• hypersthenos

Posted July 26, 2006 - 11:25 PM

I just went through this on this forum. Rewound the stator myself for $25! If you're mechanicaly inclined this is the way to go. Total time spent was about 3 hrs. I have a 55/60w bulb in my Baja Designs headlight with the stator rewound & it works great on the road. I should know, I ride home from work in the dark every night. Just look for the "DIY stator rewind" post here in the first few pages. It's got all the details you will need.

• Mudshark

Posted July 27, 2006 - 12:24 PM

I have a 55/60w bulb in my Baja Designs headlight with the stator rewound & it works great on the road. I should know, I ride home from work in the dark every night.

Same here, it's great, I have a 90/110 bulb, but have not bothered to put it
in since the 55/60 is fine. One day if the current bulb dies, I'll use it.

• philipstjohn

Posted July 30, 2006 - 05:46 PM

Can you run a 55/60 bulb the BD kit without a stator rewind?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mudshark

Posted July 30, 2006 - 06:38 PM

I did for about 2 months. It seemed okay, but after the rewind the light is
brighter and the battery is very juiced up compared with the stock stator.

• hypersthenos

Posted July 30, 2006 - 06:59 PM

Yep, same here. Had a 55/60w in place with the stock stator. This will discharge the battery with prolonged riding. If your battery is low it simply will not work. I had a very scary ride home one night with the 55/60w bulb in place-by the time I got home there was just enought light to pick out the edge of my driveway. Not good.

• MindBlower

Posted July 30, 2006 - 07:30 PM

What if you replaced the turn signal and taillight bulbs with LED's. Would the battery stay charged with a 55/60w in there? My BD kit has a daytime running light bulb in the headlight. THat would save a bunch of juice during daylight hours. I'll seldom ride at night but when I do I want decent lighting. The 55 bulb with or without stator winding sounds the way to go. (for us cheapies)

• hypersthenos

Posted July 30, 2006 - 10:13 PM

LED's will undoubtedly help, the scenario previously described happened while running just the headlight. Albeit the battery had a low charge but nonetheless the stock stator didn't provide sufficient output to run just the 55/60w headlight let alone the signals! There was not enought juice to cycle the flasher unit & when I tried the headlight dimmed so much I couldn't tell it was there. Again, my battery had a low charge, but I do not consider it safe to rely on a battery for illumination on public highways. Most DS kits are sold with the intention of passing spec to make legal for public road use between trails. I consider a higher output stator to be mandatory on an XR650R which will see on road use at night. I know, I nearly learned the hard way!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 30, 2006 - 11:07 PM

You can and it works a bit better than stock. It dims just a little at idle. I have the BD kit, but also use a separate BD light for offroad when I pull the kit and there is no battery so nothing to discharge. If you are purely running the kit all the time, I think a rewind is definitely in order for better low rpm light and no battery worries.

• InternalCombustion

Posted July 31, 2006 - 08:12 AM

Far better light with low cost - OEM glass replacement with 55w, no rewind. Works darn good.

Better than that - Stator rewind, OEM glass replacement with 100w bulb. Sweet. This is what I use for prerunning night sections for the Baja 1000 events, I love it.

Better than that - Rewind and Baja D. "Tecate" style light. Very sweet.

Better than that - Baja D or T.Tech choices of 8" race type lights. Spend more $.

I have read about a "OEM glass replacement" before... where can they be ordered from?

Thanks!

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 31, 2006 - 08:42 AM

I have read about a "OEM glass replacement" before... where can they be ordered from?

Thanks!

There may be a few places to get them, maybe even through Honda, but Baja Designs carry them for sure. I believe their catalog shows them for somewhere around $40 and can be ordered in a couple of different wattages.

• philipstjohn

Posted July 31, 2006 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Lets talk about stator rewind. I have never done it, but I am mechanically inclined. Do I do it myself, have it done, or buy a new one? The XR650R I bought has a quick release BD set up with a 35/35, and a stock stator. So I upgrade the stator, then run a higher wattage bulb in the QW set up for road use, then take the stock light set up and install a 100wt OEM replacement which will give me a good light for "ocasional night off roading"? How does this sound for the low budget way to go?

• Mudshark

Posted July 31, 2006 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. Lets talk about stator rewind. I have never done it, but I am mechanically inclined. Do I do it myself, have it done, or buy a new one? The XR650R I bought has a quick release BD set up with a 35/35, and a stock stator. So I upgrade the stator, then run a higher wattage bulb in the QW set up for road use, then take the stock light set up and install a 100wt OEM replacement which will give me a good light for "ocasional night off roading"? How does this sound for the low budget way to go?

Go here... :
http://www.xr650r.us/stator/

it has everything you'll need :thumbsup:

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted August 01, 2006 - 09:18 AM

I think you will be happy with that setup. From what I've heard (and seen), the OEM glass replacement works pretty darn well with a rewind for playing at night. Good luck!

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.