Lowering stock pegs and looking on tallseat experiences.

8 replies to this topic
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted July 26, 2006 - 11:26 AM

I can't decide on a step seat or a tall seat. I'm 6'1" and sometimes have issues with standing up because of my failing knees. I also am having issues with getting my toes stuck under the brake and shifter because I'm used to my Fastways on my Honda. Has anyone lowered the stock Ti pegs on the 06 yet? I also need help deciding on the seat. If the pegs get moved down and back quite a bit with the mod, then I might be fine with the stock height.

• SCIENCE

Posted July 26, 2006 - 11:45 AM

I can't decide on a step seat or a tall seat. I'm 6'1" and sometimes have issues with standing up because of my failing knees. I also am having issues with getting my toes stuck under the brake and shifter because I'm used to my Fastways on my Honda. Has anyone lowered the stock Ti pegs on the 06 yet? I also need help deciding on the seat. If the pegs get moved down and back quite a bit with the mod, then I might be fine with the stock height.

At 6'3", I had good luck on my YZ 250's and 250F w/the lowered pegs and tall seat.
I believe you can use your Fastway's (if you didn't sell them yet). You just need to order the YZ barrel from them. If not you can mod the stockers. I used a set of lowered 57mm wide DSP pegs and they worked great. I'm looking to go Blue/Yellow and/or White now that I've sold my CRF and think I will be in the same dilemma w/regards to the seat. I may try the higher bar mounts/lower pegs first as I really like the stock riding posistion on this bike. If you go tall, I've had great luck w/GUTS Racing foam as well. Not as big a fan of SDG's offering though.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 26, 2006 - 12:35 PM

I think I'll lower the stock pegs and give it a try. I might find that I don't need the tall seat. I'm not too tall, so the tall seat might be unnecessary. I definitely could use a grippier seat cover at the very least.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 27, 2006 - 07:36 AM

Well, I lowered the stock fottpegs on my 06 last night. The titanium can be a bitch to cut through with a hacksaw, but nothing bad. Then I found that the tab would hit on the lower peg mount bolt, so it required a little grinding, but they came out great. You can't even tell it's not factory. It definitely gave the extra room I needed for my size 13's. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SCIENCE

Posted July 27, 2006 - 09:25 AM

Well, I lowered the stock fottpegs on my 06 last night. The titanium can be a bitch to cut through with a hacksaw, but nothing bad. Then I found that the tab would hit on the lower peg mount bolt, so it required a little grinding, but they came out great. You can't even tell it's not factory. It definitely gave the extra room I needed for my size 13's. :thumbsup:

Curious to hear your ride report. Especially w/regard to the platform of the lowered stockers vs. Fastway.

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted July 27, 2006 - 05:29 PM

did you weld lower ones on or what? why would you have to cut anything?

pictures please :ride:

• yzfrider03

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:13 PM

Haha, 13's try riding with my 16's. Like wearing freaking flippers!!! :cry:

I think i can fit into some 15's tho for some extra room :ride:

• SCIENCE

Posted July 28, 2006 - 11:17 AM

did you weld lower ones on or what? why would you have to cut anything?

pictures please :thumbsup:

If you do a search, you can find some info on the Yamaha peg lowering procedure. In essence, you cut the barrel off of the bottom of the peg and place it on the top of the peg in the bracket. You don't need to weld them although some do. You must also swap the springs (right goes on left and vice versa). This lowers the peg and sets them back. Good for the tall or large footed.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 28, 2006 - 12:17 PM

The part of the peg that contacts the frame would hit the mounting bracket bolt head so I had to grind it soem to get them to sit level.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.