NEED some help (SORRY ABOUT THE KAWASAKI SIGN)

7 replies to this topic
  • KLXFOOL

Posted July 26, 2006 - 07:15 AM

Ok i am from the kawasaki forum but i decided to come and ask a quick question if i may.right now i have a klx300r and i am loving it but when i get some money i am thinking of considering at getting a XR650R. i would kinda like to know all the Pro's and cons about and how well it would do as a dirt bike and some dual sporting just to fart around on the street some times any advice would be appriciated. thnx's chris

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 26, 2006 - 12:13 PM

The 650R is built for wide open desert and 100mph. It will do just about anything good (except MX), but won't excell at anything other than wide open desert.

My 650R is street legal, and I ride LOT'S of dirt/gravel roads and lots of jeep trails/forest service roads in the woods. Single track is rare in my area, but when I find some I don't hesitate to ride it. In my mind, with a comfy seat and bigger gas tank the 650R is about the perfect dual sport for me. It's more dirt bike than other dual sports, and it's 100mph top end, and grunt to pull taller gearing means it has no problem on the street/highways where 450cc or less dual sports don't do so well.

I do lots of riding with guys on 650L's, that have been stripped and made more dirt worthy. They have no problems doing everything that my 650R does and vice versa. The L weighs a bit more and has a bit less HP, BUT it's got E-start and it's street legal from the factory.

However, if you are planning to do mostly trails and not much high speed street riding, then I would look more closely at 400-450cc dirt bikes. Like CRF's, WR's, etc... Also, be aware that '06 Huskys are street legal, and '07 KTM's are supposed to be street legal.

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 26, 2006 - 06:15 PM

Ok i am from the kawasaki forum but i decided to come and ask a quick question if i may.right now i have a klx300r and i am loving it but when i get some money i am thinking of considering at getting a XR650R. i would kinda like to know all the Pro's and cons about and how well it would do as a dirt bike and some dual sporting just to fart around on the street some times any advice would be appriciated. thnx's chris

Yep, wide open spaces and some street, and you will be in hog heaven on the 650R. Single track, not so much, but I came from a '96 KLX650R and as close as the two bikes are powerwise, the XR feels like a 250 in the handling department compared to the green beast so the tight and twisty does not bother me too much. But if you are coming from a KLX300, that's likely a much less tiring maching to ride in the single track. The 650R likes to stretch its legs and so requires a long leash. Stone reliability is a plus as well. The jury is still out on the TE's and soon to be released KTM's on the street, however off road they are weapons.

• goblin127

Posted July 26, 2006 - 06:37 PM

The 650R is built for wide open desert and 100mph. It will do just about anything good (except MX), but won't excell at anything other than wide open desert.

My 650R is street legal, and I ride LOT'S of dirt/gravel roads and lots of jeep trails/forest service roads in the woods. Single track is rare in my area, but when I find some I don't hesitate to ride it. In my mind, with a comfy seat and bigger gas tank the 650R is about the perfect dual sport for me. It's more dirt bike than other dual sports, and it's 100mph top end, and grunt to pull taller gearing means it has no problem on the street/highways where 450cc or less dual sports don't do so well.

I do lots of riding with guys on 650L's, that have been stripped and made more dirt worthy. They have no problems doing everything that my 650R does and vice versa. The L weighs a bit more and has a bit less HP, BUT it's got E-start and it's street legal from the factory.

However, if you are planning to do mostly trails and not much high speed street riding, then I would look more closely at 400-450cc dirt bikes. Like CRF's, WR's, etc... Also, be aware that '06 Huskys are street legal, and '07 KTM's are supposed to be street legal.

Thats a very fair opinion.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • captb

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:59 AM

I would agree with others comments on the 650R, mines as reliable as my 600Rs were but more power, lighter, faster and better overall than my 650L and pulls taller hiway gearing, parts are reasonable and can be found on Ebay in case of a ooops, once jetted correctly starts easy, mine startes first kick cold or hot, that's better than my last 600R 1997, seat is uncomfortable for long hiway trips but that's my only complaint, I ride a 100 miles one way on the interstate to go to new riding areas so being able to cruise at 75 mph and still have passing power is nice...without beating on the engine, that rules out all the bikes under 600CC, they just don't have the torque to pull tall gearing. Mines 4 years old all it's had is chain and sprockets and alot of rear tires, Maxxis IT has held up well even thou I ride on the road with knobs 50% of the time. Bang for the buck :thumbsup:

• KLXFOOL

Posted July 29, 2006 - 07:50 PM

thankyou for all the advice i will take that into considerration does it make a difference that i am 6'2" and weight 280lbs thnks again.

• motochris

Posted July 29, 2006 - 08:36 PM

Geeeez, you're a bigun. I don't see how you COULDN'T consider a bigger bike. The extra torque would make most things SOOOO much easier. I had a KLX300 a number of years ago. Just not enough power period. I went to a Stroker 340 kit with all the bells and whistles.....the bike was WAYYYYY better.....but still I was never really happy with it.
I'de think the 650 would be a great bike for someone your size. Just do some bar-risers or new top clamps and tall bars.

• KLXFOOL

Posted July 30, 2006 - 11:43 AM

lololol thank you i will take that into hand in the future.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.