When Does break-IN end??

4 replies to this topic
  • Lit_Dueler

Posted July 26, 2006 - 06:21 AM

:thumbsup: I only have 300 km's om my WR450. It is a 2005.
I was wondering at how many KM'S does a normal break-In period officially end??
I am taking one more ride today, then I will change my oil!
So by the amount people saying I should check all orifices( HEHEHE) and drain the bike completely.
Any ideas??
Lit_dueler

• Dube2

Posted July 26, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Hey lit_D,

Not sure what the difference is KM's to Miles are, however when new, I changed my oil after the first 8-10 hours, that's 2- rides. I figure that covers the idle factor and low speeds. Now I change the oil and filter after every three rides, usually works out to about 15-20 hours :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • face_plant

Posted July 26, 2006 - 07:02 AM

i figure mine is pretty well broke in by now about 450 miles... km to miles 100km is 60 miles. first oil change 79 miles recomend 1/2 tank of fuel(mine was on the highway so low rpm crusing) changed filter but did not check screen (only 1 person i met has ever had junk in the screen until 15-30 tanks of fuel. as far as changing the coolant WHY? green lasts 2 years and nothing contacts it but the pipes and water pump.

2nd oil change 279 more miles no filter
from there i will do 500 and see what it looks like but you have to do oil changes frequently

• SUnruh

Posted July 26, 2006 - 08:38 AM

while i can't say exactly on a wr450, i can comment with complete accuracy on a 06yz250f.
dump the original oil before the 1 hour mark.
dump it again every 3-4 hours.
at 16 hours of motor time (that should include spirited riding and all rpm ranges ie. a race) you will find that the wear metals in the oil have now stabilized.
and yes, i have multiple oil analysis to back this up.

that would the the *true* defination of "when is the motor broken in".

• 06WR450FSM

Posted July 28, 2006 - 11:45 AM

while i can't say exactly on a wr450, i can comment with complete accuracy on a 06yz250f.
dump the original oil before the 1 hour mark.
dump it again every 3-4 hours.
at 16 hours of motor time (that should include spirited riding and all rpm ranges ie. a race) you will find that the wear metals in the oil have now stabilized.
and yes, i have multiple oil analysis to back this up.

that would the the *true* defination of "when is the motor broken in".

I saw your posts on the oildrop forum a few weeks ago. Not too many people here are very lubrication savvy technically. The UOA's I saw from you were from racing with some cheap oils, right? Are you going to experiment with synthetics with the intent of extending your drain interval and slowing viscosity shear-down?

I'll go back and keep an eye on your UOA's. I plan to do one soon with those purposes for my application, which is 90% supermoto commuting.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.