Would you like a 6th gear in the Yamaha WR's?

11 replies to this topic
  • hartzpad

Posted July 25, 2006 - 08:08 PM

Am I the only one that wants a 6th gear for my WR? I have found a great compromise in gearing for street and dirt use (14/47), but I wish that these bikes had a 6th gear like the KTM's so that I could have lower than stock gearing (like 14/53 or 13/50) and still be able to cruise above 60 mph regularly. I have to ride 55-65 for a few miles to get to my favorite single track trails and when I get there, my gearing is just a little too high while on teh road, it is just a little too low. It's too bad these bikes aren't like the KTM's which can be retrofitted for a few hundred dollars from 4 speeds to 6 speed trannies. Am I alone in wanting a 6th gear? It would make the almost perfect WR series the absolute perfect dual sport and performance trailbike ever offered in the market.

• Turismo

Posted July 25, 2006 - 10:01 PM

Yeah, a 6th gear would be nice. Even a 7th would be sweet. Who cares if the cases would be an inch wider?

• 06WR450FSM

Posted July 25, 2006 - 10:38 PM

I use mine for street and dirt and find the same problem. A sixth gear would be nice... I'd like to have the low gears a little close spaced for woods riding, but the wide ratio is a must for a 5-speed dual sport.

A YZ's tranny ratios are so tight that even if you could make it street legal, it would be impractical to ride it any distance.

• ARin

Posted July 25, 2006 - 11:24 PM

i have mixed feelings on this subject...my bike already goes WAY faster than my angels can fly...and i feel like if i had a 6th gear, it would tempt me to go even FASTER...

• johnnyjeep

Posted July 26, 2006 - 12:44 AM

I like the idea of a 6 speed, but I do think that they could have done better on the gearing on the 5. 5th gear is ok for me, but 1st is too high. I got a 13 tooth front but I havent been able to find the time to install it. I am dreaddind to find out what it will do to the top end.

John in Vegas

• silverlakerider

Posted July 26, 2006 - 04:55 AM

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted July 26, 2006 - 05:28 AM

If you dual sport like I do 6th speed would be great! :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 26, 2006 - 05:52 AM

I would like a 6 speed if it were a close ratio transmission. The wide ratio is real nice offroad but with a close ratio I could have a better time on a track.

• face_plant

Posted July 26, 2006 - 05:54 AM

YES i run mine on the highway most of the time but play on the way home and the weekends. i think the stock gearing works best for both but it seems a little close to the rev limiter doing 85 mph ) now where can i get a CHEAP 3.1 gal tank?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 26, 2006 - 08:13 AM

now where can i get a CHEAP 3.1 gal tank?

The TT store.... :thumbsup:

• hartzpad

Posted July 26, 2006 - 08:34 AM

I would like a 6 speed if it were a close ratio transmission. The wide ratio is real nice offroad but with a close ratio I could have a better time on a track.

When would you ever get into 6th gear (even with a close ratio) on a track? Are you racing at the Bonneville Salt Flats?

• hartzpad

Posted July 26, 2006 - 08:36 AM

YES i run mine on the highway most of the time but play on the way home and the weekends. i think the stock gearing works best for both but it seems a little close to the rev limiter doing 85 mph ) now where can i get a CHEAP 3.1 gal tank?

Just buy a WR426, that is a really easy way to get a 3.1 gal tank and it comes already installed!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.