XR600 desert racer?!?

20 replies to this topic
  • nscmj3

Posted July 25, 2006 - 04:58 PM

So I've been looking at desert bikes lately, and really like the XR600...I know the mighty 650r is the "king" so to speak, but I like the air cooling of the 600 and to be quite honest, the extra 50cc's aren't gonna make that big of difference for the level of riding I'm at. (I'm not looking to beat Johnny Campbell or anything like that!!)
What has been everybody elses experience with the 600? I DNF'd a national event where I would have trophied due to a branch reaching out and tearing my lower radiator hose...a nice air cooled bike wouldn't have left me in such a predicament!!
I've read 59 of the 460 pages in this forum, and done an extensive search. Any thoughts? :thumbsup:

• XRidiculous

Posted July 25, 2006 - 05:59 PM

Well,

This forum has been begging to be divided for sometime-with no help from the management!

So here it is.

The 600. Always has, always will be.

The 650 is heavier, and you cant make it lighter than a 600.

I've gone head-on with a 650, and I found no benefit.

The 600 has lots of years in production, and the parts are still plentiful, and getting cheaper.

I bought mine new in '98, and still have the stock clutch, as well as piston, cam, chain.

Parts I have replaced are: Tires, Spokes, Brake Pads.

All other parts that I have added are mostly for protection. I'm relatively confident I could ride it over a cliff, and it would bounce, cartwheel, and land on the left grip of my ProTapers...then I would stand it up and find TDC, and it would start on the first kick.

I've had one dirtbike for 8 almost 9 years...and this year I'm going to START to race it...that alone is pretty ridiculous.

There are many bikes you can ride...but this one will be one of the all-time legends.

I know the 600 boys are smiling....

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted July 25, 2006 - 06:21 PM

Well 'nscmj3', knowing who you are, your size, and what I think you'll be doing with your XR I think you'd be better off with an XR400.
I love XR600's they're great. I just think if you do a 400 with a bit of work you'd go as fast (or faster) than you could on a 600 and be able to use it in more places than you could 600.
Unfortunately both those models are kinda hard to find in relatively new condition.
Keeping your CRFX?

• nscmj3

Posted July 25, 2006 - 06:49 PM

Well 'nscmj3', knowing who you are, your size, and what I think you'll be doing with your XR I think you'd be better off with an XR400.
I love XR600's they're great. I just think if you do a 400 with a bit of work you'd go as fast (or faster) than you could on a 600 and be able to use it in more places than you could 600.
Unfortunately both those models are kinda hard to find in relatively new condition.
Keeping your CRFX?

"All hail the king..."haha...glad to hear from ya Tim...yeah, I'm keeping the X. Just put a new top end in it in fact. (Note: Be sure and fully tighten the main jet when putting a bike back together. Having it fall out into the bowl is a surefire way for it to not only run waaaaaay rich, but make it run like crap!!) The X absolutely rips now!! Glad I did it.
I would agree with the XR400, but you're right, it's hard to find 'em. I don't care about shape/condition. The bike's gonna get rebuilt back to stock top to bottom. I just found a good deal on a 600 is all, and like what I've read about em so far. I think I would be able to ride a smaller bike much more aggressively than a larger, go faster, and do better overall. Like I said, I don't need a totally tricked out ride...I'm not trying to win nuthin' or even be competitive. I wanna finish and have a good time!! You racing the V2R this year?

• cleonard

Posted July 26, 2006 - 08:35 AM

I just think if you do a 400 with a bit of work you'd go as fast (or faster) than you could on a 600 and be able to use it in more places than you could 600.

I'd like to know where my 600 will not go. I'm not saying that the 600 is easier to ride, but I can go anywhere on my 600.

I've been on my 600 on
  • Snowy
  • Insane technical trails at Bean Cyn
  • More insane technical trails in the Piutes

If you know of any more technical trials let me know, I'd love to ride them.

• The_Edge

Posted July 26, 2006 - 09:46 AM

I like hearing the praise for the 600R since I just got one. I was lucky to find a 96' with less than 500 miles on it in (no joke) like new condition. I have really enjoyed riding it. Even when I get started up a hill and forget to gear down towards the top it still will get me to the top. Dry weight on mine was 271.6 lbs. and after riding my buddy's 2000 650L mine felt light as a feather. I am getting really used to it and can do a lot of things now. I think the heavier weight keeps me in check. If I were to do some of the things I do on my 600 on an MX bike, I would crash. Good luck in finding a good one. Just for a price check for you, the guy I got mine from wanted $2000 for mine in like new condition. I don't know if a more used one would go for the same price.

Ron

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted July 26, 2006 - 10:58 AM

I'd like to know where my 600 will not go. I'm not saying that the 600 is easier to ride, but I can go anywhere on my 600.
If you know of any more technical trials let me know, I'd love to ride them.

Don't take it so personal "cleonard", I never said the 600 couldn't be used in tight or technical terrain. I did say that I love 600's. And i actually wish they still made 'em.....I'd buy another!
I was merely stating that because I know who this rider is, what he normally rides, how he rides, and what he's 'likely' to be using it for then HE'D be better off with a nice 400.

• nscmj3

Posted July 26, 2006 - 12:15 PM

I'm finding all kinds of used 600's for reasonable prices, but 400's on the other hand are a different story. The prices seem higher in general and there are fewer of them around locally. Maybe less of them made, or something? Or people just want to hold onto them...

• Slim Shadetree

Posted July 26, 2006 - 01:01 PM

more people want the 400 cuz not as many can handle the 600 size and weight i'm bettin'

• cleonard

Posted July 26, 2006 - 01:33 PM

Don't take it so personal "cleonard", I never said the 600 couldn't be used in tight or technical terrain. I did say that I love 600's. And i actually wish they still made 'em.....I'd buy another!
I was merely stating that because I know who this rider is, what he normally rides, how he rides, and what he's 'likely' to be using it for then HE'D be better off with a nice 400.

I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Didn't mean to flame ya.

I'll agree XR600's aren't for everyone. At 6'1" 250+ starting it is easy and picking it up when I crash isn't too hard. If I weighed 150 things would be different.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • nscmj3

Posted July 26, 2006 - 05:46 PM

I guess I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. Didn't mean to flame ya.

I'll agree XR600's aren't for everyone. At 6'1" 250+ starting it is easy and picking it up when I crash isn't too hard. If I weighed 150 things would be different.

I would tend to agree...being on the "150" side of the scale, picking up a heavy bike a coupla times wears you out real fast. Even picking up my 250x a few times makes ya tired!! I don't NEED the speed of the 600, but if I can get one cheaper or more readily than searching all over the country for a 400, I just might do that. If anybody knows of a 400 in cali, lemme know! :thumbsup:

• xr600Lynch

Posted July 28, 2006 - 10:40 AM

I loooooooooooooooooooooooove my 6hundy... Only problem i had was choke plate breaking and sucking into the engine.. Do yourself a favor and buy the XR's only billet choke plate...TODAY.. it will save you lots of money...

• The_Edge

Posted July 28, 2006 - 11:58 AM

I loooooooooooooooooooooooove my 6hundy... Only problem i had was choke plate breaking and sucking into the engine.. Do yourself a favor and buy the XR's only billet choke plate...TODAY.. it will save you lots of money...

Definetely picking one up on payday. Do you think a pumper carb is worth buying?

• xr600Lynch

Posted July 28, 2006 - 12:09 PM

I have heard for the money ....its not worth it.. But some say they can tell that there was a little performance enhancment.. I think it will get rid of low end bog.... but... you should be able to train your wrist to hammer through any bogging...theres lots of posts on that topic...lost of that issue on 4strokes.com also

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 28, 2006 - 01:02 PM

Im getting the XRs Only mikuni carb kit for my 96, thatll solve any potential problems and give me more power for 250.00!

• nscmj3

Posted July 28, 2006 - 04:37 PM

Well, I bought a 400! Maybe someday I'll move up to the "big leagues", but for now I like the idea of riding the crap out of the 400 and not having the bike "ride me!!"

• XRidiculous

Posted July 29, 2006 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for visiting the big boys. There is a forum just for you, right above this one on the list. Have a nice day.

XR400 desert racer?!?

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted July 29, 2006 - 07:40 AM

Thanks for visiting the big boys. There is a forum just for you, right above this one on the list. Have a nice day. XR400 desert racer?!?

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize it was a tough guy contest... being tough enough to race a 600. I guess I shouldn't have ever considered racing a little wimpy 250X in the Baja 1000, afterall, it's probably too slow eh.
The simple fact is that a 400 for the fella in question is likely the best choice, regardless.

• nscmj3

Posted July 29, 2006 - 10:58 AM

I guess I shouldn't have ever considered racing a little wimpy 250X in the Baja 1000, afterall, it's probably too slow eh.

2005 Baja 1000:
1. Tim Morton, Escondido, Calif./Salvador Hernandez, Ensenada, Mexico/Jason Trubey, Bullhead City, Ariz., [COLOR=Red]Honda CRFX250[/COLOR], 18:01:38 (39.32mph)

(1st in class and 4th overall)

Boy Tim, what were you thinking. Those results are terrible. How many 600's/650's finished behind you?! haha...

I'll take skill and technique over raw, uncontrollable horsepower anyday. The fact is I respect Tim's opinion more than anybody else on this site, I mean the guy's only raced the B1k 19 times!!! (Or is it 20, 21 now?) The 400 is a better fit for me, as it only has to carry 155 lbs from start to finish unlike some of the "expert" racers out there who have to use a commercial truck spring for their rear shock!! (We've all seen you guys...the ones where the chest protector barely covers their manboobs!!) :thumbsup:

Bigger is better only if you have small man syndrome, right!?

• XRidiculous

Posted July 29, 2006 - 10:59 AM

I'd like to say "I'm sorry" if that read incorrectly.

What I meant to say is, that I, and I'm sure the other forum contributors were more than happy to share our XR600/650 information, and time, with a possible big-bore rider.

We wish him the best in his moto-adventures, and say "Your welcome" to any information we may have provided to help him decide otherwise.

A collective 'sigh of relief' was registered by many of the tough guys on the board, as well as a few tears...it was quite touching for the fellas...

Sincerely,

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.