06 450 trans trouble?

10 replies to this topic
  • ellis269

Posted July 25, 2006 - 01:22 PM

I was told by a pro yamaha rider that they were having trouble with 2nd and 3rd gear busting .Has anyone on here had trouble with theres.Mine seems to be ok, but I only have around 10 hrs on it.

• 02YZ426

Posted July 25, 2006 - 01:58 PM

No trouble here.. knock on wood. I am surprised to hear this actually since Yamaha has been known for there good transmissions. Its definatley not a common problem, and I wouldn't really worry.

• 642MX

Posted July 25, 2006 - 03:42 PM

Real pros can tear up an anvil. I wouldn't worry about it.

• mobius

Posted July 25, 2006 - 04:22 PM

I had to replace 3rd and 5th gears.

• grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2006 - 05:34 PM

When we got our 250F, I had a CR500. I thought at the time that the trans on the YZF was notchy and hard to shift by comparison to the Honda. Having lived with a YZF day to day since then, I now find that the trans on the '06 is much easier shifting than earlier YZF's, which is good, but it could be bad, too. The older bikes required a fairly deliberate attempt be made in order to move from one gear to the next, so accidental shifts almost never happened. The smoothness and ease of shifting is good in so far as allowing the rider to more often make a good gear change with minimal effort, but it could also lead to accidental clutchless shifts, or shifting under more power than you might intend, which in turn could lead to worn or broken gear dogs. May not be an issue once you get used to the bike.

Real pros can tear up an anvil. I wouldn't worry about it.

How true. They all ride extremely hard, and many are totally insulated from feeling any monetary pain when they break something. That, and a good many of them, as good a rider as they may be, have the mechanical sense of a bucket of hammers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mitocross

Posted July 25, 2006 - 11:03 PM

Two races ago I heard a noise and a kick in the frame like when two teeth from the opposite gear wheels bang into each other. I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd in the air. In 14 years of racing I haven't heard such bad noise. I thought that was it for the transmission. But the bike works ok since then. We will see :thumbsup:

• bigred455

Posted July 26, 2006 - 09:28 AM

[quote name='grayracer513']When we got our 250F, I had a CR500. I thought at the time that the trans on the YZF was notchy and hard to shift by comparison to the Honda. Having lived with a YZF day to day since then, I now find that the trans on the '06 is much easier shifting than earlier YZF's, which is good, but it could be bad, too.

I never thought I would be on a Yami,because of there shifting.YZ 250'S YZ250F'S I never cared for there previous gearboxes.You are correct about the Yami's gearboxes that is what kept me away from them,You must be very deliberate especially in the upper revs.The mags never mention this,but I alway's thought the shifting was very undesireable on the Yami's. I own a 06 YZ250F, new a month ago ,it shifted from the get go very smooth and very consistent,infact My 05 RMZ450 GEARBOX can take a little lesson.Power on, stab of the clutch, the 06 YZ glides right in. :thumbsup:

• mxracer957

Posted July 27, 2006 - 07:50 PM

i didnt actually have my bust and explode but i did have a couple of teeth break off

• o-ring

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:35 PM

I rounded the dog pins in 5th(somehow!!! I hardly evere use 5th) And after opening up the box we found wear on 2 other gears and had to replace them....Very dissapointing for a 10 hr old machine...

• Crash 2006

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:41 PM

I rounded the dog pins in 5th(somehow!!! I hardly evere use 5th) And after opening up the box we found wear on 2 other gears and had to replace them....Very dissapointing for a 10 hr old machine...

:ride: :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted August 09, 2006 - 09:53 PM

Mines fine with over 50 hours so far.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.