Just bought a like new 96' XR600R (Pics) 56K Beware!!

52 replies to this topic
  • The_Edge

Posted July 25, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Looks great, nice score, I wouldn't worry about the heat, I ran all my XR's in AZ with no problem, just jetted correctly and Mobil 1 Syn changed frequently in summer, have fun. My L seemed to run hotter than my 600Rs, it gets so fooking hot you want to drive into a lake but then the waters 120 deg.

Thanks! Since so many people are saying not to worry about the heat, I guess I won't. Az definetely gets hot. I feel for ya! :ride:

White Bros E-Series does the same thing as a SuperTrapp, although I have a larger Headpipe.

You need to Rejet that puppy. You also need a Scott Summers Fork Brace, and the right Fork Springs are a good investment. You dont need to worry about the Heat, although if it really bothers you, you should wrap the header pipes with Thermalwrap, to prevent the pipe heat from effecting the Cylinder Head temps.

In the interest of longevity, you should change the oil regularly, AND install Magnetic Drain Plugs-they get metal fragments out of the oil, and help you understand if the motor is having issues.

Also, a good skid plate is really necessary.

There are 1000 other mods you could do, but focus on handling. The big bike doesn't care if your on it, unless you tune the Suspension a little.

My 21" IMAC loves your pictures-they opened fast and big.

Have fun.

Cool! Good advice:) Next payday I will get the mag. drain plugs and an oil temp gauge dip stick. Future improvements are: A top triple clamp with pro taper handle bars, New springs front and back (I weigh 215 lbs.), dual sport kit, skid plate, and a header. I do want to rejet but I don't have experience with jetting so I don't know what to jet to. I will do some asking. I will look into a fork brace also. Thanks a lot for the advice and I am glad the pics came out good. :thumbsup:

Nice bike I registered a brand new 96 xr600 when I lived in Nevada with a baja kit and a little speedo, they gave me a plate and I rode it for almost a year. When I was getting ready to sell it the dmv wanted the plate back because it had no odometer to track the mileage. I sold it and I dont know what the guy did but you might want to get a speedo with an odometer.

This helps a bunch, thanks! I looked at the requirements for nevada and found out that it isn't to difficult. I wasn't planning on getting a speedo/odo but I think I will anyways. I hope it connects and works off the tripmeter that is on the bike now. Does NV give the huge motorcycle plate or is it small? Thanks for the info:)

Ron

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 26, 2006 - 06:59 AM

Thanks guys!!

I am really happy with it. It's my first air cooled machine. I just am worried about heat. Now all I need is some riding partners.

I fixed the image sizes too 640x480.

Yes it does look like new. I spent a couple of hours with a tooth brush getting in all the nooks and cranny's cleaning the grimm out. I am like a kid with a new toy. Spend hours looking at it and tinkering. Thanks for the praise!

Ron

Well, since the XR600R is designed as a desert race machine and it is undenyably THE most reliable motorcycle ever built no worries mate! Id do what the people who do do an oil cooler do and slap on a XR250 Oil cooler and never worry about it getting to hot. Just like you I live in the desert but in New Mexico. It gets as hot here as it does there but I just change my oil every 1000 miles of sooner and make sure it stays topped up.

I am working on designing an oil cooler for the XR which will wount on the front frame rail if you want to wait a month or so.....itll be great.

Also, the XR650 is a great bike but Id personally keep the XR600R and plate it, you wont be disappointed......

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 26, 2006 - 07:06 AM

I do want to rejet but I don't have experience with jetting so I don't know what to jet to.

XR600Rs are not picky to jetting, whats your altitude? People who live at around 3000ft above sea level don;t have to rejet a stock bike when they put on a slip on. Plus, if you run under 6 discs you don't have to re-jet either at that altitude since the thinner air and altitude offsets the need for more fuel in the mixture. I live at 7420ft and am at one step richer pilot, stock main, and one clip richer on the needle and I have a more free flowing pipe, an aftermarket air filter, and a 610cc kit. So, don;t worry about jetting until you do some more mods! Just go to 6 discs on the trapper.

• Few

Posted July 26, 2006 - 07:51 AM

I do want to rejet but I don't have experience with jetting so I don't know what to jet to.

XR600Rs are not picky to jetting, whats your altitude? People who live at around 3000ft above sea level don;t have to rejet a stock bike when they put on a slip on. Plus, if you run under 6 discs you don't have to re-jet either at that altitude since the thinner air and altitude offsets the need for more fuel in the mixture. I live at 7420ft and am at one step richer pilot, stock main, and one clip richer on the needle and I have a more free flowing pipe, an aftermarket air filter, and a 610cc kit. So, don;t worry about jetting until you do some more mods! Just go to 6 discs on the trapper.

Very nice find!
Sorry, I don't mean to High Jack the thread.
I have a '93 with the Trapp, stock jetting, BD Kit.
I just checked and I have 7 discs which ran great at 3000-4000ft.
I am now near sea level and its to rich, I seem to be getting more black carbon on the discs and fender than I like to see.
Should I be pulling the carb for a rejet? What would you suggest to lean it out a little? 2 less discs?
The bike likes mornings, but when temps are 100+ It does get hot and ping the valves when the throtle is cracked open on a hill.
Thanks.

• The_Edge

Posted July 26, 2006 - 09:02 AM

Well, since the XR600R is designed as a desert race machine and it is undenyably THE most reliable motorcycle ever built no worries mate! Id do what the people who do do an oil cooler do and slap on a XR250 Oil cooler and never worry about it getting to hot. Just like you I live in the desert but in New Mexico. It gets as hot here as it does there but I just change my oil every 1000 miles of sooner and make sure it stays topped up.

I am working on designing an oil cooler for the XR which will wount on the front frame rail if you want to wait a month or so.....itll be great.

Also, the XR650 is a great bike but Id personally keep the XR600R and plate it, you wont be disappointed......

I feel a lot better about the heat thing since all of you are giving the 600 such good praise. The oil cooler sounds like my best bet. It's worth waiting to see what you come up with. Please give me a shout when you get them going. :thumbsup: Thanks!

Great info SniperTeamBravo! I live around 5000 ft. I currently have 6 discs in my trapp. The bike doesn't seem to have any running problems other then a bog when I quickly gas it from idle for the first 7 minutes of running. But after reading through some post, it seemed normal. I figured a pumper carb would fix that.

• MindBlower

Posted July 26, 2006 - 10:15 AM

I thought I had a 96, but it had purple graphics? What year did I have?

• xr600Lynch

Posted July 28, 2006 - 10:46 AM

Dude i wrote you on another thread.. GET THE XR'S ONLY BILLEY CHOKE PLATE ToDAY... Mine broke and sucked through to the engine!!!! I have anodized front forks for strenght, white bros E series pipe. white bros also tuned my suspension. I have the big tank and gps mounted on the bars.. I would like to get the Trail Tech computer in the next few weeks..

• The_Edge

Posted July 28, 2006 - 11:51 AM

Dude i wrote you on another thread.. GET THE XR'S ONLY BILLEY CHOKE PLATE ToDAY... Mine broke and sucked through to the engine!!!! I have anodized front forks for strenght, white bros E series pipe. white bros also tuned my suspension. I have the big tank and gps mounted on the bars.. I would like to get the Trail Tech computer in the next few weeks..

I am definetely picking one up on payday. I hope you didn't do too much damage:)

• xr600Lynch

Posted July 28, 2006 - 12:00 PM

when i opened up the engine i looked like someone took a hammer to a screwdriver and made twothousand divits, I had the hat repaired and looked at and there was no damage to the walls or the rings and and then i put it back togethor. When i put it back to togethor i forgot the wrist pin C clip!!!!!!!! The wrist pin worked it way out on my 3rd ride and there was more smoke than a 2 acre forest fire...Then i spent about 1000 to get it all re honed ,new sleeve piston, and all the other goodies....I blame the shop for not giving me the clip back.. I should have realized it wasnt there..Working in my 130 degree AZ garage can get to you....i should have slowed down

• The_Edge

Posted July 28, 2006 - 12:05 PM

when i opened up the engine i looked like someone took a hammer to a screwdriver and made twothousand divits, I had the hat repaired and looked at and there was no damage to the walls or the rings and and then i put it back togethor. When i put it back to togethor i forgot the wrist pin C clip!!!!!!!! The wrist pin worked it way out on my 3rd ride and there was more smoke than a 2 acre forest fire...Then i spent about 1000 to get it all re honed ,new sleeve piston, and all the other goodies....I blame the shop for not giving me the clip back.. I should have realized it wasnt there..Working in my 130 degree AZ garage can get to you....i should have slowed down

YIKES! Lots of money comming out of your pockets. It should run like new when you get it done.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr600Lynch

Posted July 28, 2006 - 12:42 PM

Its been done for about 6 or 7 months now..Back in the saddle again... Haa anyone seen www.aloop.com ... looks like a cool kit..500 bucks! check it out

• don87xr600

Posted July 28, 2006 - 01:49 PM

White Bros E-Series does the same thing as a SuperTrapp, although I have a larger Headpipe.

You need to Rejet that puppy. You also need a Scott Summers Fork Brace, and the right Fork Springs are a good investment. You dont need to worry about the Heat, although if it really bothers you, you should wrap the header pipes with Thermalwrap, to prevent the pipe heat from effecting the Cylinder Head temps.

In the interest of longevity, you should change the oil regularly, AND install Magnetic Drain Plugs-they get metal fragments out of the oil, and help you understand if the motor is having issues.

Also, a good skid plate is really necessary.

There are 1000 other mods you could do, but focus on handling. The big bike doesn't care if your on it, unless you tune the Suspension a little.

My 21" IMAC loves your pictures-they opened fast and big.

Have fun.

How can you tell a bike needs to be re-jetted by looking at it? How do you know the person that installed the supertrapp hasn't re-jetted it already?

• The_Edge

Posted July 28, 2006 - 02:04 PM

How can you tell a bike needs to be re-jetted by looking at it? How do you know the person that installed the supertrapp hasn't re-jetted it already?

You bring up a good point! Although the original owner (the guy I bought it from) hasn't done anything to it other than the supertrapp. So I know that it hasn't been rejeted. There are a lot of things that I want to do to it but I am not sure if I want to spend that much money. I may just do rider comfort mods (new springs, handle bars, etc.) and just ride it. No matter what I do there will always be a faster bike than mine so I don't think I want to get in the mindset of conitinueously improving my bike to keep up. I am bad for that and have spent way too much money in my other hobby (Nitro powered RC Car racing). Or maybe a little money here and there wont hurt. (I know I am going to end up dumping a lot of money her) I just can't help it LOL it's like a bad habbit.

Thanks for all of your posts! :thumbsup:

Ron

• The_Edge

Posted September 07, 2006 - 01:43 PM

Well everyone! I brought back this thread so anyone intersted in this bike can see it. I am going to sell it for $2000 I will put a thread up in the for sale section soon.

Thanks,
Ron

• texsurfer

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:40 AM

why ya selling it?

• atkxr600

Posted September 08, 2006 - 05:43 AM

If you veiw his other posts, you'll see he bought 07CRF450. Now he feels he doesn't need both.

I would keep both, but thats just me. Sure is a clean looking XR.

• The_Edge

Posted September 08, 2006 - 06:35 AM

atkxr600 is correct! I am selling it to help pay for the CRF450R. The XR would just be sitting around because I wouldn't have time to ride both.

Thanks for the posts guys!:thumbsup:

Ron

• texsurfer

Posted September 08, 2006 - 07:31 AM

i read thru from post one and didnt see a post about buying the crf. i did see his signature on post one that had the CRF so i assumed he had the crf when he bought it. nice bike, too bad you gotta let it go...

• Big Red Paul

Posted September 08, 2006 - 08:37 PM

Beautiful bike, but, god those suppertapp pipes are ugly. Nearly as ugly as the original bulky mat black muffler. Even if a suppertrapp improved performance on a bike by 20%, I would be loath to install one.
There has to be a balance between, performance and aesthetics.

Even the name reminds me of a 1970's British art rock band. Enjoy your Breakfast in America, but change that muffler !!!!!

Hope the bike finds a super owner that it deserves.

• Huffa 2

Posted September 09, 2006 - 02:36 AM

Beautiful bike, but, god those suppertapp pipes are ugly. Nearly as ugly as the original bulky mat black muffler. Even if a suppertrapp improved performance on a bike by 20%, I would be loath to install one.
There has to be a balance between, performance and aesthetics.

Even the name reminds me of a 1970's British art rock band. Enjoy your Breakfast in America, but change that muffler !!!!!

Hope the bike finds a super owner that it deserves.

I doubt that many will agree with you on the ugliness factor as they are great sellers and have great tune-ability also. I see them on tons of XR's. I have one on a 3 wheeler and one (whole system) on a 85 Nighthawk. They are also nice that you can tone the sound where others your stuck with what you get.

Man that bike is SAAAAWEEEEET! I love older bikes that look almost brand new.

Really nice! :thumbsup:

I don't recall seeing that color scheme and on my screen the purple parts, well, :applause: look purple, is that so?

BTW ...........even if it does just collect dust and if you can afford it, :applause: DON'T SELL IT !!!!!!!!! It would be ashame if it gets in the wrong hands and gets beat to hell. I'll bet a year or two down the road you will be saying "I never should have sold that bike". With gas being so expensive why don't you street legal it and keep it for just on road excursions? In a few years if you use it alot, it will pay itself off!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.