What are you AZ guys running for jetting?

23 replies to this topic
  • Baron Von Beard

Posted July 25, 2006 - 11:33 AM

I did search and read a lot, but I'm still not happy with the jetting of my 06. It just feels sluggish out of turns.

I'm at 168 main, 48 pilot stock needle on the 3rd clip, fuel screw at 1.75 turns out. What's it take to get this thing to clean up off the bottom? Any leaner on the pilot/fuel screw and the thing sounds like a popcorn maker, but it just feels rich the way it is. Does the stock needle suck on the 06 or what? Maybe I'm being too finicky, but what gives?

• WFOracer

Posted July 25, 2006 - 11:44 AM

I am at 165 main, 48 pilot, stock needle position and about 2 turns out pilot screw. Mine sounds like a popcorn maker when it's really hot and humid, otherwise it rips. I go to 170 main when its cooler. I just got used to the popping. :thumbsup:

Sorry, I know I am not an Arizonian, but its been 90+ degrees and 80+% humidity.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 25, 2006 - 11:49 AM

I'm going to stick a needle from an 06 CRF450R in it and see how it runs. I'll let you guys know.

• WFOracer

Posted July 25, 2006 - 11:54 AM

Have you found an easy way to tinker with the carb yet.....it usually turns into a 2 hours job for me to take that little bastard completely out... :thumbsup:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 25, 2006 - 12:13 PM

Pull the seat and tank (6 bolts), pull the upper motor mounts (5 bolts), loosen carb clamps (2 allens), pull hot start, turn carb and remove top (2 allens), remove MSR fuel screw, remove float bowl (4 allens). This will allow me to change every fuel jet in the carb, I don't normally mess with the air jets, and takes about 15 minutes. On the Honda you had to pull the tank and seat (8 bolts), loosen carb clamps (2 Phillips), remove carb top (2 allens), remove float bowl drain plug. This would allow me to change all the fuel jets and woudl normally take about 10 minutes.

• grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2006 - 05:58 PM

Doug Dubach has recommended an NFLR needle in the 4th spot. See how close the Honda needle is to that. The Yamaha pn for the NFLR is 5TA-14916-LR-00

• TAC

Posted July 26, 2006 - 07:52 AM

stock on jetting 48 pilot, try a 50 or 51 tooth rear sprocket. gearing will
probably make more bottom than you will get out of jetting.

or maybe a blue plastic kit will make it faster

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 26, 2006 - 08:03 AM

stock on jetting 48 pilot, try a 50 or 51 tooth rear sprocket. gearing will
probably make more bottom than you will get out of jetting.

or maybe a blue plastic kit will make it faster

What up Terrance!
I threw my stock 05 CRF450R needle in to see how it runs. We'll see. I will also be putting a 50 tooth rear sprocket on. I hate gearing bikes down, but this bike could use just a little more mechanical advantage IMO.

• TAC

Posted July 26, 2006 - 08:18 AM

FIGURED ME OUT QUICK. In my experience you will get more out of gearing
by reducing engine load than you can find with jetting changes. On the track you will never top out 5th gear.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 26, 2006 - 08:21 AM

FIGURED ME OUT QUICK. In my experience you will get more out of gearing
by reducing engine load than you can find with jetting changes. On the track you will never top out 5th gear.

I just hate shortening up the power on any bike, but I don't think one tooth will do much to ruin the power. I'm doing some experimenting with the jetting to get it nice and clean without popping and then I'll throw on a 50 toother.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • eazrider

Posted July 26, 2006 - 11:22 AM

'06 450....stock jetting...no pinging, 14T CS, 50T rear...Adjustable air screw gets tweaked if I ride above 2500'. Altitude here in Phx is about 1500' at Pima and Dynamite...runs like a raped ape from DC to Daylight...best scooter I've ever owned.........

• grayracer513

Posted July 26, 2006 - 11:27 AM

I tried a 48 on ours, and in combination with the Dr.D exhaust, it pulls harder out of the same corner in the same gear as before by making the engine work against a bigger gear. Another thing I like about it is that it spreads out the transmission a little more, too.

• Pukeballs

Posted July 26, 2006 - 04:24 PM

This is offtopic but somehow made me laugh.
The ad banner at the bottom of the page is for popcorn machines and supplies. LOL.

• WFOracer

Posted July 27, 2006 - 01:01 PM

RB, have you had a chance to try the CRF needle?

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 27, 2006 - 01:07 PM

RB, have you had a chance to try the CRF needle?

I threw the needle from my 05 CRF in it and it wasn't good. The bike rips when you twist the throttle, but it was really choppy when you held the throttle steady. I had a 45 pilot and 165 main in and started at the 4th spot and it was cutting out, so I went down two clip spots to see if it wanted more fuel and it got much worse. So I went to the #2 spot and it cut out less but was popping under decel. I think if I go with a 48 pilot and 168 main with the needle it might work well, but I'm going to have to experiment. The needle looks liek a richer needle, but I don;t have the needle specs to compare so it's hard to tell.

• jjgixxer

Posted July 27, 2006 - 02:09 PM

I threw the needle from my 05 CRF in it and it wasn't good. The bike rips when you twist the throttle, but it was really choppy when you held the throttle steady. I had a 45 pilot and 165 main in and started at the 4th spot and it was cutting out, so I went down two clip spots to see if it wanted more fuel and it got much worse. So I went to the #2 spot and it cut out less but was popping under decel. I think if I go with a 48 pilot and 168 main with the needle it might work well, but I'm going to have to experiment. The needle looks liek a richer needle, but I don;t have the needle specs to compare so it's hard to tell.

and the tinkering starts... :thumbsup:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 27, 2006 - 02:23 PM

and the tinkering starts... :ride:

HEY!!! Get out of here! :thumbsup:

• jjgixxer

Posted July 27, 2006 - 02:24 PM

HEY!!! Get out of here! :thumbsup:

I'm allowed too be in here I own a Yamaha :ride:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 27, 2006 - 02:26 PM

I'm allowed too be in here I own a Yamaha :ride:

Keyboards don't count! :thumbsup:

• jjgixxer

Posted July 27, 2006 - 02:28 PM

Keyboards don't count! :thumbsup:

I'm not talking about my keyboard... I got me a new scoooter.. :ride:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.