Oil drip plus loose kickstarter - 650r

10 replies to this topic
  • Squash

Posted July 25, 2006 - 10:05 AM

Hi all,

I did an oil change on my 650R yesterday, today theres a little oil on my right boot. While poking at the bike, I found the bolt that holds the kickstart lever on the kickstart shaft was loose, and it looks like oil is coming from it. Is that even possible?

I put in 1.8qt after the oil change and the dipstick read right to the full mark after a couple minutes of warmup..

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted July 25, 2006 - 12:10 PM

The kickstart bolt is ommon (on lots of bikes) to come loose, just keep an eye on it.
Not it's not possible for oil to leak from there.
If your kickstart shaft seal is leaking it's a cheap and easy replacement.

• brichter

Posted July 25, 2006 - 02:29 PM

If your kickstart shaft seal is leaking it's a cheap and easy replacement.

+1, don't have to pull the case, you can pry the old seal out after you pull the kickstart lever off.

• zx7rye

Posted July 25, 2006 - 02:47 PM

Hi all,

I did an oil change on my 650R yesterday, today theres a little oil on my right boot. While poking at the bike, I found the bolt that holds the kickstart lever on the kickstart shaft was loose, and it looks like oil is coming from it. Is that even possible?

I put in 1.8qt after the oil change and the dipstick read right to the full mark after a couple minutes of warmup..

The kickstarter is known issue. The oil issue coulkd be coming from the oil drain plug. The 1st change I did on my bike, I went to unscrew the bolt and the head came off. It must have been overtightened when I got it, as I saw little drips on the floor every week. Had to drill out the screw and use an extractor. I threaded in a new bolt to stop the little drips but I know the threads are ****ed so I'm gonna end up cleaning it out and putting a helicoil in real soon.

• captb

Posted July 25, 2006 - 04:33 PM

Oil filter cover sweats oil after filter change, I brakekleen mine now after filter change to dry up the oil around the outside of the O-Ring and bolts.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Squash

Posted July 26, 2006 - 10:03 AM

Yeah, I didn't figure there was a way the loose kikstart could contribute to the oil. Just coincidence that I noticed both at the same time I guess.

I am still trying to track the leak down. It isn't losing noticible oil volume, but my boot has a clean spot and it looks like a brand new harley was parked in its spot instead of a honda!

I'll keep working to locate the exact location of the drip, hopefully it is something easy!

• Slamo

Posted September 20, 2008 - 07:42 PM

Mine is leaking from the actual seal that goes around the kickstart shaft. Someone said that you just pull it off??? With what? Does the case cover need to come off or is there some sort of extracting tool?

Thanks,
Lionel

• cosmophonic12

Posted September 21, 2008 - 04:59 AM

Mine is leaking from the actual seal that goes around the kickstart shaft. Someone said that you just pull it off??? With what? Does the case cover need to come off or is there some sort of extracting tool?

Thanks,
Lionel

mine dose the same, i would also like the know the answer. :excuseme:

• BWB63

Posted September 21, 2008 - 06:49 AM

You need to pull the seal. A screwdriver with a bent tip will work, then drive the new seal back in.......with a pipe the same size as the seal. Should change the counter shaft seal while you are at it.

• LT1coupe

Posted September 21, 2008 - 09:30 AM

I've had good luck using a sheet metal screw

• b737jets

Posted September 21, 2008 - 02:02 PM

you can use a u shaped dental pick get 2 of them grind off the sharp point though it will just tear through the seal.

I would just take off the cover its just as quick and easy 15 min tops if kicked starter come off easy

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.