650L diet and exercise

17 replies to this topic
  • desert4seat

Posted July 25, 2006 - 09:46 AM

My L has an eating disorder. :thumbsup:

Well actually, it’s kind of a weight obsession… And it’s all my fault.
I can’t stop thinking about dieting…dropping those unneeded pounds…slimming her down.
Don’t get me wrong, she looks great!
I guess she was just born that way…you know… she’s a “big boned” type of girl. :cry:

Eventually I plan on doing all the diet mods on her, plus some.
I know I should set an example for her…but I can’t stop drinking beer. :ride:

Anyway, question is: After all the extensive dieting, what number can I expect? Any of you guys actually have a final weight?
thanks!

• pigryder

Posted July 25, 2006 - 10:37 AM

372lbs.

• desert4seat

Posted July 25, 2006 - 01:06 PM

372? wow.
so by trimming the fat, you actually get fatter... :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 26, 2006 - 07:47 AM

I've heard that you can get 20lbs off the L.

That gets into stuff like aluminum bars, losing the stock taillight (for a lighter one) and ditching the rear fender brace, aftermarket exhaust, plastic tank, and a new (lighter) headlight assembly.

The obvious stuff is losing the buddy-pegs and the smog crap.

Dave

• desert4seat

Posted July 26, 2006 - 11:46 AM

thanks Dave,
thats what i was thinking...
So, how accurate is the factory spec on the L?
I think they say its something like 325lbs (dry).

• philipstjohn

Posted July 26, 2006 - 12:38 PM

On the 4 strokes only site there is an article on how much weight each piece you could shed off the L weighs...add up all the parts you could shed off this bike and I believe it is around 40lbs. :thumbsup:

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:18 AM

On the 4 strokes only site there is an article on how much weight each piece you could shed off the L weighs...add up all the parts you could shed off this bike and I believe it is around 40lbs. :thumbsup:

Yeah, but I was computing for the weight of a terrorflex...

desert, the factory specs for weight for all bikes is a bald-faced lie.

Dave

• desert4seat

Posted July 27, 2006 - 09:31 AM

XR650L_Dave,
yeah, I kinda figured it was a LIE.
I never weighed my L when it was bone stock – so it’s impossible for me to tell how much the spec is actually off.
As far as the 4-strokes only article…I’m not too sure what that is…but did find the article @ dirtrodders (http://www.dirtrodde...650l/specs.html), and I’m taking it above and beyond what they’ve done. I’m changing/adding quite a few more things than they have on their list. I also noticed they are under the assumption that the factory spec is correct.

Well anyways, it’ll be quite a while until I’m done with my diet mods.
But I’ll definitely inform you guys of the final weight.
I’m hoping to break 300… :ride:
But that might be a little optimistic! And like I said earlier…I have no starting weight! So who knows? Does anyone?
:thumbsup:

• elrontx

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:49 PM

does 20lbs make that much of a difference on a bike like this, is it really noticeable when you ride it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wheelnut46

Posted July 27, 2006 - 07:28 PM

does 20lbs make that much of a difference on a bike like this, is it really noticeable when you ride it?

I'll bet it would make a bigger difference if I was the one losing 20 lbs and getting some exercise. :thumbsup:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 27, 2006 - 08:17 PM

I bet you could get 40 off her....but that would be gettin into aluminum battery box and what not...

What is the point of that rear fender brace any way? does it actually do anything? I remember I had mine off at one point and saw no need for it.

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 28, 2006 - 03:23 AM

I bet you could get 40 off her....but that would be gettin into aluminum battery box and what not...

What is the point of that rear fender brace any way? does it actually do anything? I remember I had mine off at one point and saw no need for it.

Have you ever seen an XR650R's rear fender while the bike is running? It flaps around like a flag...

• lhark

Posted July 29, 2006 - 07:45 AM

It takes some work, but I was able to knock 25-30 lbs off, without having to go to titanium. Stock headlight, speedometer (with associated parts, cable, drive, etc) taillight, turn signals, stock mirrors, handlebars, rear steel spocket, stock front fender (replaced with supermoto), ignition switch, side stand switch,and all the steel spacers in the wheel assys, stock fuel tank, exhaust can.....there's still a way to go. And yes, it makes a difference in how the thing works, especially on dirt. One more thing, too, I saved a couple of pounds by replacing the stock battery, with a smaller one. I had to bend up a different mount strap, to hold it in the box. That's next on the list, to build up an aluminum battery box holder. Of course, the list never really ends.....

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 29, 2006 - 06:06 PM

Have you ever seen an XR650R's rear fender while the bike is running? It flaps around like a flag...

Yes, but the 10 pound solid steel support could easily be replaced by a feather weight aluminum support.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 31, 2006 - 08:17 AM

Yes, but the 10 pound solid steel support could easily be replaced by a feather weight aluminum support.

On an XRR, perhaps, but the stock taillight of the XRL is too heavy, and sticks out there too far.

D

• lhark

Posted August 01, 2006 - 03:58 PM

That's why you throw the stock taillight away, and get something lighter...
Didn't Summer's Racing, or someone, make an aluminum fender support for the XR600's. I wonder if that would work on the L, without too much BS.

• desert4seat

Posted August 03, 2006 - 03:44 PM

I’d really be interested in a actual number off a scale… Everyone says the factory weight spec is BS, and I agree - but is there anyone that has gone out and put their lightly modified piggy on a scale?

• Wheels up

Posted August 03, 2006 - 04:18 PM

Im gonna put my 650 l that's been shaved of all UGLY stock stuff with an after market tank.All plastics including headlight are aftermarket. So if someone else would care to have a stocker weighed we would really know. I will do it with a half tank because it's a 4 gallon tank. I will post the weight of the bike. I know she's heavy..........

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.