06 450F valve clearance check

7 replies to this topic
  • stock510

Posted July 25, 2006 - 05:23 AM

I just checked the valve clearance on my beast and talk about a pain in the arse to get the cover back on the cams.

Its done 30hrs and the valves are just within the clearance limit.

Is there a special technique to refitting the cover once you have done your checking. I couldnt for the life of me get the cover back on........eventually did but harder than i thought it would be????

Shes a tight fit.

• Satch0922

Posted July 26, 2006 - 04:37 AM

just think....if you had a red bike you would be on your second set of valves at 30hrs...maybe third! :thumbsup:

• stock510

Posted July 26, 2006 - 04:47 AM

Its the only thing that i can winch about with the bike :ride:

• PK

Posted July 27, 2006 - 11:19 PM

Did you pull the tank off? I hadn't even looked at mine yet but I've only got 13 hours on it...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stock510

Posted July 28, 2006 - 12:35 AM

I had it all off :thumbsup:

Pulled off tank, hot start, undid the little brackets that hold the frame together above the carb and breather hose.

In the end i took the radiator hose off the front of the engine to get some more room happening.

Although my patience could use some work.

• Wyatt

Posted July 28, 2006 - 05:21 AM

I found the best way is to remove the gasket from the cover and have it sit on the head. You can then work the cover on better. Make sur ethe gasket is in its groove before you tighten it down. Also make sure all of your components are clean when you work so you dont dislodge dirt and allow it to fall into your motor.

I have checked mione twice with 30 puls hours and they are right on. No adjustments needed.

• stock510

Posted July 28, 2006 - 02:34 PM

Yeah thats what i ended up doing, leaving the gasket on the head and then trying to put the cover back on.

The clearances where all in spec so that what counts :thumbsup:

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 28, 2006 - 03:07 PM

I haven't pulled mine apart yet but if it's anything like the CRF, I just put a couple dabs of silicone on the cover to hold the seal in place before putting it back on.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.