LED bulb for XR650R tail light

15 replies to this topic
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 24, 2006 - 08:48 PM

Does anyone know of a source for led tail light bulbs. Need one for an XR, but does not look like the 1156/1157 variety. Kind of a funky little wedge type bulb that I've never seen before. I definitely don't want to swap out the tail light itself though. Thanks.

• captb

Posted July 24, 2006 - 09:02 PM

May want to call before you order and make sure they will work, keep us posted, I want to upgrade mine I run 2 wedge base (stock 194s I think) in my stock t/lamp and would like it brighter on the street.
http://www.superbrig...mini-wedge.html

• thouk

Posted July 25, 2006 - 03:47 AM

Outer,
Use this link:
http://www.wheelingc...egory&cat_id=72
Go down to the bottom and order the one for the Led tail light inner kit. Make sure that you get the one for the Xr250. It is the same as the one for the BRP. I hope that helps. It is a brake light/ running light combo. Or you can just wire the two light together and have one bright running light. Hope that is what you are looking for. Tony

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 25, 2006 - 07:00 AM

Thanks mates, both look like pretty good sources. The first looks plug and play and the second might require some wiring, but looks like it would be brighter. I think I better take a second look at the housing to be sure. Thanks again.

• pburke

Posted July 25, 2006 - 07:40 AM

Traditional LEDs don't run on 12V, which either requires a little resistor work (voltage divider) or a regulator that drops the 12V to about 3 volts. LEDs are about $0.10 a piece, the parts to make the voltage divider are even cheaper. All you need to worry about is the installation and keeping everything water tight and insulated.

you can also get some automotive bulb replacement LEDs that go right into the existing sockets from an electronics parts source. Check this article about how much power you can save in a car:

http://www.theherd.c...cles/bulbs.html

Here's a link to an LED that replaces what the Baja Designs kit appears to be using in the turn signals (have to double check on the bike):

http://www.digikey.com and search for item # 441-1011-ND - $4.18 a piece

those are bulb type 1156 replacement LEDs that should be plug and play in the BD kit signals. They use 0.11 amps (incandescent bulbs of this type are about 8 watts) These are a time saver over hacking up some LEDs with regulators yourself, plus they are cheaper than those kits linked above. Also a clean install - just swap the bulbs. Same true for brake and tail light bulbs. See the catalog page at digikey for the whole line, including brake/tail light combo LEDs.

http://dkc3.digikey....F/T062/1824.pdf

Note that Digikey has a $25 minimum order (below you pay a handling fee). I think I am gonna go for the turn signals and a really bright white one for the running light in the BD headlight shell. I need some turn signal indicators and I bet I can wire up a third pair of LEDs for a custom dash by using these LEDs. Power draw is a fraction of incandescents.

Blue LEDs are $$$ - a replacement for the high-beam indicator light would be $8.93 (see part # L1037-ND for example)

Peter

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 25, 2006 - 08:15 AM

I have also heard about potential voltage problems with LED's so that's a concern as well. The link that Captb sent looks to show the correct wedge type bulb and mentions that it works on 12v as it's an automotive style replacement. It's cheap so I can afford to be wrong. I'll look into it a bit more, but definitely appreciate the feedback. Not trying to be high tech, just want a bulb that I don't have to worry about burning out or being killed by vibration. I wish it was the 1156 type though, as that looks like it will be quite a bit brighter than the 4-6 led wedge bulbs. Thanks all! :thumbsup:

• thouk

Posted July 25, 2006 - 09:25 AM

The link I provided is for a insert for the bulbs that replace the stock bulbs. They are wired for twelve volts already. Yes you have to either splice the wires into the stock wiring or buy some of the bullet connectors to let it plug into the stock wiring. I bought the insert and I already had the bullet connectors so it was an easy upgrade. It wasn't too hard to do this upgrade. Have fun, Tony

• pburke

Posted July 25, 2006 - 09:48 AM

I I wish it was the 1156 type though, as that looks like it will be quite a bit brighter than the 4-6 led wedge bulbs. Thanks all! :thumbsup:

for some reason I was thinking turn signals. Anyway - digikey has the 192 type you'll probably need as well - but the price isn't any better than the other source ($5.85 each I think)

http://rocky.digikey... Series LED.pdf

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 25, 2006 - 11:30 AM

The link I provided is for a insert for the bulbs that replace the stock bulbs. They are wired for twelve volts already. Yes you have to either splice the wires into the stock wiring or buy some of the bullet connectors to let it plug into the stock wiring. I bought the insert and I already had the bullet connectors so it was an easy upgrade. It wasn't too hard to do this upgrade. Have fun, Tony

Tony, how is the light output on this? I'm hoping for something similar to stock, but it does not really need to outperform the stock bulb, just don't want it real dim.
Thx

• thouk

Posted July 25, 2006 - 12:10 PM

The light inseret that I linked to is a lot brighter even in the running light mode. When you put the brake light on it is very bright. Remember that it is a led insert so the viewing angle is not like the miny bulb that comes with the stock bike. I just had to go back to your signature to make sure that you have the Xr650r and not the L. If you go the way of the insert I am sure that you will be very satisfied. Tony
p.s. here is the link to the last writeup:
http://www.thumperta...0&parentpage=10

• OUTERLIMITS

Posted July 25, 2006 - 04:54 PM

The light inseret that I linked to is a lot brighter even in the running light mode. When you put the brake light on it is very bright. Remember that it is a led insert so the viewing angle is not like the miny bulb that comes with the stock bike. I just had to go back to your signature to make sure that you have the Xr650r and not the L. If you go the way of the insert I am sure that you will be very satisfied. Tony
p.s. here is the link to the last writeup:
http://www.thumperta...0&parentpage=10

That be the one then. Thank you.

• MindBlower

Posted July 26, 2006 - 10:35 AM

Taking some polish and and a rag and spending 1/2 hour polishing the stock plastic cover will help a great deal to brightening any light.

• jwriott

Posted July 26, 2006 - 12:16 PM

I'm very happy with the setup so far. It's plenty bright and fit nicely.

• bork

Posted July 27, 2006 - 04:50 AM

I'm very happy with the setup so far. It's plenty bright and fit nicely.

Sorry for my slowness, but did you say those leds/mount/plate, directly plugs into existing rubber holder that the old 194 bulb plugs into ? Then two small fasteners to hold assembly from flopping around in lens well. right?

• thouk

Posted July 27, 2006 - 06:23 AM

Bork,
I have the same setup. The new led light will be routed through the grommet for the old light. It comes with the bullet connectors so that you just have to cut the wires to the length you want and then crimp them on. From there you just plug the wires into the harness that is from the bike. If you have a brake light set up then you can use the led as a brake/running light combo. There is a mount that comes with the led to mount the led to the fender. You have to remove the old bulb holder and mount the new light mount with the supplied bolts, nuts and washers. I hope that helps, Tony

• jwriott

Posted July 27, 2006 - 07:02 AM

Sorry for my slowness, but did you say those leds/mount/plate, directly plugs into existing rubber holder that the old 194 bulb plugs into ? Then two small fasteners to hold assembly from flopping around in lens well. right?

You remove the rubber holder and install the LED/Plate. The link on the previous page shows how it mounts.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.