trouble starting 2004

No replies to this topic
  • letter

Posted July 24, 2006 - 06:37 PM

Yesterday when I went riding, my bike, which I have owned since 8/04, started within 4 or 5 kicks when the engine was cold like usual. It ran fine all day and when I got home I washed it which included laying it down on the stand to spray underneath it. When I tried to start it, it would not start. I finally removed the seat to look at the air filter and discovered that it was wet. I installed a new air filter and attempted to start it and it still would not start. I finally got it to start by having the choke up and turning up the idle screw real high. Today I decided to change the oil and I had the same problem starting it. I was finally able to start it when cold by having the choke off and turning up the idle screw. When I started after the oil change (when the engine was warm, it popped and backfired on a few kicks before it started. I had this trouble once before after washing it (I discovered that the air filter was wet when I had trouble before, but I did not have trouble starting it on a subsequent occasion). Could it be that the engine sucked in some air filter oil or grease (I grease the lip) when the air filter got wet? Or is it some other problem. Thanks for the anticipated response.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.