06 YZ450 engine noise

10 replies to this topic
  • BerkshireBullet

Posted July 24, 2006 - 05:24 PM

My yz450f has always been a good runner, and is clean jetted, but for the past few weeks it has been extremely hard to start, it will fire right up when cold but after that it wont start well. I figured it was due to the valves being out of adjustment. Halfway through a two hour hare scramble yesterday, which was a complete mudfest, the bike began to overheat due to lack of airflow through the radiators and so much abuse. Any time i stalled or shut off the bike, it took 20+ feverish kicks to start. Today i rode the bike for a minute to warm up the fluids, and after riding for not even a minute the bike was already overheating and clanking. I shut it off to adjust the clutch which took a lot of abuse yesterday, and when i went to start it, it took a minute of hot starting and regular kicking to get it to fire. The clanking in what seemed like the top end was more noticeable than ever. The valve shims were all within tolerance. The oil looked clean, but there was barely a cup coolant in the system, what would cause the engine to clank so loud?
I understand that 4-strokes are hard to start, i also have a wr426, wr450, and a yz250f which dont start half as hard or inconsistent...so im pretty sure it isnt a user issue, there is something wrong, im not sure what. Any advice would be a help...~Trevor~

• matt116

Posted July 24, 2006 - 05:39 PM

The crank,connecting rod,wrist pin....

• BerkshireBullet

Posted July 24, 2006 - 05:44 PM

i was afraid of that, have another race this weekend, the noise sounded higher up in the head, what about the starting issues?...thanks

• letmein

Posted July 24, 2006 - 07:40 PM

Sounds like a head gasket.

• funtime

Posted July 24, 2006 - 11:36 PM

Your motor will sound horrible with little or no water, the water also acts as a bit of a sound insulation. I notice this when I am racing on beaches, as soon as I have been caught or stuck in a jam i can hear the difference with the loss of fluid. I would agree with the head theory possibly leaking.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BerkshireBullet

Posted July 25, 2006 - 02:43 AM

alright, i will take the cylinder off when i get home from work, could that make it hard to start also?

• BerkshireBullet

Posted July 25, 2006 - 03:16 AM

Is it still the headgasket if the engine oil was clean and without foreign materials?

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 25, 2006 - 08:26 AM

It sounds like you may just be jetted lean causing the bike to run hot. Once you puke the coolant out, things can start to get really noisy and shitty sounding. What jetting are you running and what's you elevation, temps and humidity?

• grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2006 - 06:01 PM

If your coolant was that low, there is the possiblity that the piston has been scuffed, and the noise you hear is piston slap. See what condition the skirt's in while you have it opened up.

• BerkshireBullet

Posted July 26, 2006 - 02:46 AM

I put it back together and the noise is gone, but it still is hard to start, and it seems like it is running hot. I have a 170 main, 48 pilot, clip is in the 5th slot, and the fuel screw is almost 2.5 turns out...this seems like it is jetted pretty rich to me....the temp is 70-85 degrees when i ride, and the humidity is up there....any suggestions? thanks

• quailboy

Posted July 26, 2006 - 06:50 AM

check your spark plug make sure its the right kind and that its gapped. you might also need to maybe find a different heat range for your plug. check the carb to see if the filters and such arent clogged. or you could have possible damaged something(gears or other such stuff) and so the metal shavings in the bottom of your engine could be putting more of a strain on the engine. just some suggestions these other guys probably know more of what they are talking about.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.