May be getting 95 XR600 Need info.

2 replies to this topic
  • cuban11182

Posted July 24, 2006 - 03:51 PM

I found a good XR600 1995 with a 2004 rebuild for $1600. I have never owned anything but a crotch rocket. Now this bike is an offroad converted to a dual sport. Will I have problems getting this bike inspected with just the dual sport kit? What should I look for when I look at the bike? Where is it prone to crack? Is it just kick start? Can you add electric start? I know this is alot of questions but I am quite interested in the bike. Are there alot of upgrades available or is it good enough? My main desire to riding this bike would be for on road back and forth to work to save gas and maybe once in a while off road. Thanks in advance, Dave

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • J_T

Posted July 29, 2006 - 04:50 PM

I found a good XR600 1995 with a 2004 rebuild for $1600. I have never owned anything but a crotch rocket. Now this bike is an offroad converted to a dual sport. Will I have problems getting this bike inspected with just the dual sport kit? What should I look for when I look at the bike? Where is it prone to crack? Is it just kick start? Can you add electric start? I know this is alot of questions but I am quite interested in the bike. Are there alot of upgrades available or is it good enough? My main desire to riding this bike would be for on road back and forth to work to save gas and maybe once in a while off road. Thanks in advance, Dave

Maybe its me but with the bulletproof reputation of these bikes...9 years is not much for needing a rebuild...and the price is average for the southern states...nothing special.

Use Cycletrader as price guide and try to look in your area...out west these big thumpers hold their value better I know for sure...but that means buying one in the south, they should be cheaper.

If you want it plated and electric start and aftermarket parts galore...go XR650L it's basicly the same bike but it is dual-sported from the factory (no problem titleing or emmisions (I believe some have parts that most states don't require that can be removed like smog pump... :thumbsup:) It comes electric start. Same reliability. Tons of aftermarket and upgrades. It is heavier but alot can be shed if you wanted to.

Keep in mind though The XR650L is a dirt-bike made street legal.

hope that helps

JT

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 29, 2006 - 09:08 PM

1600 is a good price if it is cherry and in good mechanical condition. Nothing really goes wrong with the XR600R as long as it is maintained, and then even it is a great and possibly the MOST reliable bike ever produced. I would definitely choose a XR600R over the allready street legal XR650L as the 600R is faster, lighter and a REAL dirt bike and the L is a "enduro". Now if you are going to spend 90 percent of your time on the street the L is a great bike, but if you want to do ANY serious off roading get an R. They are a=easy to get a plate for and easier to be re-plated or re-registered as most states only have lax requirements for conversions. Go on the Baja Designs site and they have a post of what states need what. BTW, nothing cracks on the XR unless you do tripples all day or are a pro level racer whos hard on equipment. I have two and am allways looking for another.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.