2001 YZ426 is it a good bike??

22 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted January 19, 2007 - 09:04 AM

You will need to use the Yamaha "DRILL" to start it but other than that GET IT.

Not if you upgrade to the '03-'05 exhaust cam.

In the strictest sense, they are less reliable than an XR, but it's like comparing bricks made of two different steel alloys and debating which one is tougher. They need attention, but not much, and even an anvil can be broken.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 30-A rider

Posted January 19, 2007 - 01:20 PM

Not if you upgrade to the '03-'05 exhaust cam.

In the strictest sense, they are less reliable than an XR, but it's like comparing bricks made of two different steel alloys and debating which one is tougher. They need attention, but not much, and even an anvil can be broken.

Great info above. To elaborate: The XR250 motor is the indestructable motor for the enduro class. While far as MX thumpers the YZF's have proven to be most reliable but need more care than the Xr and will require a rebuild faster than the XR...not that either need a rebuild quickly. The deciding difference between the two is the YZ motor turns high rpms, works harder with more aggressive cam profiles...therefore its just a faster running motor. Faster running motors require more maintenance.

With that being said the power differnce between the two motors is night and day! The XR250 motor is solid and delivers good performance for what it was intended to be used for...but the YZ is just way faster due to the CC's, the cams, the carb etc.

I have a 2000 426, adjusted the valves once and have remained in spec..change the oil every ride, filter every other, and air filter every ride and its never been anything but great to me. You get a 426 and you will not miss your XR one bit.

• TotallyMetal

Posted January 23, 2007 - 11:05 AM

I've had my 01 for 3 yrs and love it. My biggest complaint is that the rear tire keeps getting tore up!

http://i83.photobuck...ke/yz426004.jpg

Have Fun!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

05 yz450f not fast enough by RedeyeYZ

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

• Hot  30 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.