Blown up 06

7 replies to this topic
  • doublecaser

Posted July 24, 2006 - 11:32 AM

On the verge of getting 06 yzf 450 so I went back 20 pages or so on this forum looking for blown engines, valves destroyed, seized motors etc. on the 06's and can't seem to find any at all. On my 250F forums you don't have to look far to find disasters on new bikes. Anybody dealt with the Los Angeles Yamaha/Aprilia in Marina Del Ray? They are selling 06's for 6300$ OTD.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 24, 2006 - 11:58 AM

You're going to LA to get a bike? Crazy guy. How much are you going to spend on gas to get there and back?

• ben_suhard

Posted July 24, 2006 - 12:12 PM

This little story should convince you. It's a bit embarrassing but I'll tell it for your benefit(I was probably going to post it anyway). Just this last weekend, I had the left hand side drain bolt go missing while trail riding. I still can't believe it, I've never had this happen before, but it seems as though I didn't tighten it enough. The bike could have been sabotaged because it was sitting outside the tent all night, but I guess I'll never know. Very strange, but most probably my fault. Anyway, we'd done about an hour and a half of sandy trail riding, and then slowed down the pace a bit when the engine started making screeching noises. I thought to myself, "The bike is only twenty hours old, surely that sound couldn't be the clutch or anything else in the engine!" I should have stopped to check the bike out, but I didn't want to get further back in the pack, and I concluded that it must be a stick rubbing on one of the brake rotors. When we got to the check point, I checked the bike over and to my surprise the drain plug was gone and a mixture of oil and sand was gathered on the frame! :thumbsup: I'd noted before that the sump plug had gotten smaller on the new model, 8mm diameter, and the seat bolts had gotten larger, also 8mm diameter, so I used the seat bolt to replace the plug and zip-tied the seat on; very handy! I asked around and even though there were about four utes at the stop, nobody had oil. The bike got loaded up onto the recovery trailer and we headed up to the lunch spot. The guy that gave me a lift in his ute asked around and one of the lead riders had a litre of oil that I could use; I was thrilled! I poured the oil in and after about three kicks she fired up with no screeching or any other unusual sounds. I don't know exactly how much oil it took to fill her up, but it was close to a litre. I rode for another couple of hours in deep sandy trails that same day and another hour on Sunday. I got a bit worried while riding on Sunday because I could smell oil and I thought my bike felt like it was starting to seize up, but I was glad when I realised it was actually the two stroker in front of me that I could smell and I must've just imagined the performance deterioration! Needless to say, I don't want to experience that little unpleasant occurence ever again! I'd say, after all that, that yes, the '06 YZ450F is very reliable.

• Baron Von Beard

Posted July 24, 2006 - 12:27 PM

Ben,

You should be utterly ashamed of yourself! :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Way Fast Whitey

Posted July 24, 2006 - 12:29 PM

good story :thumbsup:

• dbehr624

Posted July 24, 2006 - 01:33 PM

Wow, thats quite simply amazing. :thumbsup: :ride: :cry: :ride: :ride: :crazy: :ride: :busted:

• dbehr624

Posted July 24, 2006 - 01:36 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention that my friend bought an 06 450 there. He had a few fluke problems with his bike, and actually had a hard time dealing with one of the guys there. He found out the problem (hot start was stuck open) and now his bike is great. But from what I have heard, ask for a guy named Jerry.

$6300 sounds a bit steep to me though, since the 07s are out (i think).

• asbarounis

Posted July 24, 2006 - 01:40 PM

On the verge of getting 06 yzf 450 so I went back 20 pages or so on this forum looking for blown engines, valves destroyed, seized motors etc. on the 06's and can't seem to find any at all. On my 250F forums you don't have to look far to find disasters on new bikes. Anybody dealt with the Los Angeles Yamaha/Aprilia in Marina Del Ray? They are selling 06's for 6300$ OTD.

damn good price. im goin there to get mine.
i live 20 minutes from there :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.