Tires for 3/4 ton truck????

18 replies to this topic
  • rpt50

Posted July 24, 2006 - 02:26 AM

Does anybody have suggestions for E load range tires for a Ford SD 250? This truck is road only. The only dirt it sees is the parking lot at MX tracks. I want a tire that will last. It came with General tires ( size 235/85/16) which lasted about 40k. The last set was Uniroyal, which only lasted about 30k! So far, I'm leaning towards the Pep Boys Futura (a Cooper tire I think) for about $500 a set out the door, and it comes with a 60k warrenty, which is pretty unusual in a load range E tire. Dunlop, Firestone, and BF Goodrich tires are about $650-700 out the door, and have no treadwear warrenty. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

• rush2112

Posted July 24, 2006 - 11:30 AM

I was in the tire business and I have to say that I wouldn't put anything from Pep Boys on a 250. I sold Firestone, Bridgestone, and Michelin and I would recommend going up to a 265/75/16 and looking at the Bridgestone Dualer AT with Uni-T or step up and get the best, the Michelin LTX-MS in the 265 load range E. I currently run the 285's on my truck in the Firestone Destination AT and love it but not a load range E.

• snowxdadx3

Posted July 24, 2006 - 12:46 PM

I agree. Michelin LTX MS. Round, balance out better than any other brand I hace mounted/sold, quiet, great traction wet/snow too.

• SMD

Posted July 24, 2006 - 02:04 PM

Another vote for the LTX MS, quiet, smooth and easy to get 60 to 70k. :thumbsup:

• don87xr600

Posted July 24, 2006 - 02:56 PM

Firestone Transforce HT , don't buy anything from a French company.

• rpt50

Posted July 25, 2006 - 03:30 AM

I don't think I could bring myself to buy another Michelin product after that F1 fiasco at Indy last year! Tire Rack seems to really be pushing the Yokahama tire. Anybody tried that?

• Chickenhauler

Posted July 25, 2006 - 05:05 AM

I don't think I could bring myself to buy another Michelin product after that F1 fiasco at Indy last year! Tire Rack seems to really be pushing the Yokahama tire. Anybody tried that?

F1 and F250 are very different uses.

I also cast my vote for Michelin LTX M&S, some of the "roundest" tires I have ever mounted and balanced, and good treadwear life, I have seen 70k+ miles. Dunlops are the worst at out of round(also known as DO-HOPS). Usually, but not always, when it comes to tires, you get what you pay for.

I know Yokohama makes an excellent wearing semi truck tire, but since the compound is so hard it is not good on ice/snow, but have never had them on a PU.

• MTshirt

Posted July 25, 2006 - 07:22 AM

I run a tire store
We have less problems with michelin than all the other tire brands put together
The BFG commercial 2nd choice
Cooper discoverer 3rd

• adventure rider

Posted July 25, 2006 - 08:28 AM

I've run Bridgestone Duelers HL the last two sets. Now have Bridgestone Dueler AT revos. If you want a tire that gives you a tight and responsive ride, you can't go wrong with the Duelers.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hossy

Posted July 26, 2006 - 05:42 PM

Just put bfg all terrains on my 2500hd, like them so far. Love the look of them, much more aggressive looking than the michelin ltx (no offense, great tire).

• dirtyriders110

Posted July 26, 2006 - 06:33 PM

We have Toyo All Terrains on the Yukon Xl. They're pretty good, great traction.

• frankiewhipit

Posted July 27, 2006 - 01:37 PM

COOPER SRM II IS A VERY DURABLE TIRE WITH AN ALL SEASON TREAD (NO KNOBS) :thumbsup:

• Valerie Wilson

Posted July 28, 2006 - 11:50 AM

I've run Bridgestone Duelers HL the last two sets. Now have Bridgestone Dueler AT revos. If you want a tire that gives you a tight and responsive ride, you can't go wrong with the Duelers.

We have the bridgestone duellers on our excursion and love them!!!!!!

:thumbsup: :ride: :cry:

• Bryan Bosch

Posted July 28, 2006 - 12:30 PM

BFG KO All Terrains. On the quiet side for an aggressive all-terrain tire, they balance well, they wear well and they look great. A bit pricey, but in my experience, it's a do-it-all tire that you can't go wrong with. Don't sweat any lack of tread warranty. When I sold my last suv with KO's, they had over 70k on them I bet I could have squeazed and easy 5k (summer driving). Even when well worn, no hum or excessive tire noise.

• Chickenhauler

Posted July 29, 2006 - 12:40 AM

BFG KO All Terrains. On the quiet side for an aggressive all-terrain tire, they balance well, they wear well and they look great. A bit pricey, but in my experience, it's a do-it-all tire that you can't go wrong with. Don't sweat any lack of tread warranty. When I sold my last suv with KO's, they had over 70k on them I bet I could have squeazed and easy 5k (summer driving). Even when well worn, no hum or excessive tire noise.

Wasn't he in search of a mostly road tire? In Georgia?

The BFG's tend to cup if you neglect regular balancing and rotation, but if you keep up on that and keep the vehicle properly aligned they are a great AT tire, thats what I have on my jeep. Their load rating is a little light, but not a bad tire.

The LTX AS or the BFG long trail might be more suited for his uses though.

• RiverRat

Posted July 29, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Just put bfg all terrains on my 2500hd, like them so far. Love the look of them, much more aggressive looking than the michelin ltx (no offense, great tire).

Same here. They look so much better than a highway tread tire.
:thumbsup:

• Bryan Bosch

Posted July 30, 2006 - 06:54 PM

Wasn't he in search of a mostly road tire? In Georgia?

The BFG's tend to cup if you neglect regular balancing and rotation, but if you keep up on that and keep the vehicle properly aligned they are a great AT tire, thats what I have on my jeep. Their load rating is a little light, but not a bad tire.

The LTX AS or the BFG long trail might be more suited for his uses though.

The BFG KO is a great tire, even if you drive only road. I put over 100,000 on two sets, driving mostly highway. It performed well when dry, excellent on wet roads and gives you more flexibility that a highway only tread, should you encounter any snow or light mud. I don't know where in Georgia he's at, but I know they get plenty of rain and N. Georgia gets some snow from time to time. Also, I've heard southern clay can be slick as hell, so an all terrain tire might be a good choice. Of course, some of this is assumptions, based upon what I know about the guy and where he lives.

BFGs can cup, but mostly on the wider tires (from what I've seen). I ran 245/75-16 and had no cupping issues. I did rotate, but not religously. Maybe ever 7-10k at best. I also drive hard, so I was extremely pleased with the wear. I seriously torture tires. :ride:

I now have LTX's on my rig (came with them) and they ride nice & quiet, but I don't like the car tire looks. To me, the BFG KOs is a true do it all tire (excluding serious muddin') that actually looks good on your rig, while offering excellent performance that lasts.

Go here:
http://www.thumperta...um/sponsors.php and click on the TireRack banner. They have excellent reviews that are great and making a decision ont what tire to buy.
:thumbsup:

• dmp437

Posted July 31, 2006 - 10:12 AM

Toyo Open Country A/T's on this SuperDuty. I ran Goodyear Wrangler ATS's for six years before the Toyo's and the Toyo is superior in every way. They balance easier, cost less, and have better traction.

• Bryan Bosch

Posted July 31, 2006 - 12:25 PM

I have heard good things about those Toyos as well. Good suggestion.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.