Respraying crankcase

11 replies to this topic
  • NEW2XR

Posted July 24, 2006 - 02:16 AM

Anyone tried respraying crankcase to get back 'original' look. If so what paint gives best match to OEM, or better still can you but the exact Honda stuff over the counter. Mines got the usual boot rub, and was going to respray to give it a new look to freshen up incase I put it up for sale.

Ta

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 24, 2006 - 07:05 AM

Which model and year is yours? There were basically two finishes, the early ones had a kind os anthricite grey on the magnisium cases, the later ones had the basic black, kind of a satin black on the aluminum cases. I gather some of the crossover machines had black on the mag cases. I personally like the early grey look but have two XR600Rs with the black cases, so I painted the later one, the 96 grey. The 92 has black magnisium cases. I used Krylon and it stayed on and looked great till I changed the oil then it came off the right side under the filter housing, now it looks like crap so Im going to remove the cases, and beadblast them, prep them correctly and paint them with an automotive brade base coat clear coat and be done with it. Hope this helps.

I have a pic if you want to email me at sniperx@netscape.com

• NEW2XR

Posted July 24, 2006 - 07:52 AM

Hi, should have said, mine's on '03 650R - it looks to me more like a metallic green/grey though I'm sure there's a more accurate way of putting it!!

Cheers

• captb

Posted July 24, 2006 - 07:57 AM

I did my 1150ES engine when I rebuilt in 1986 using Kalgaurd and then baking the parts in the oven, it held up excellent very tough stuff.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 24, 2006 - 09:38 AM

Hi, should have said, mine's on '03 650R - it looks to me more like a metallic green/grey though I'm sure there's a more accurate way of putting it!!

Cheers

That sounds like the nice older finish they put on the mag cases in the 80s on the XR600R, it was very similar to what they call Anthricite Grey go to PEP boys and look at the paint caps on the car paints. They have it.

• sorenlaf

Posted July 24, 2006 - 11:17 AM

Anyone tried respraying crankcase to get back 'original' look. If so what paint gives best match to OEM, or better still can you but the exact Honda stuff over the counter. Mines got the usual boot rub, and was going to respray to give it a new look to freshen up incase I put it up for sale.

Ta

I think the only thing I'd try painting a case with would be POR-15.

http://www.por15.com/

Probably won't get an exact match, but it should last a while.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 24, 2006 - 11:20 AM

I may have mine powdercoated or even anodized. I found a place here in town that said about $35.00 each for a coloure anodizing would do it. I think thats a steal for being able to anodize them! How bout red anodized for the cases on my 1996 XR600R street tard! seems pretty trick...

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 24, 2006 - 11:26 AM

Actually, I would recommend buffing the rest of the color out and going with a natural metallic buffed/brushed finish. If you don't like it, you can always go ahead and paint/powercoat etc...

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 24, 2006 - 12:28 PM

Actually, I would recommend buffing the rest of the color out and going with a natural metallic buffed/brushed finish. If you don't like it, you can always go ahead and paint/powercoat etc...

I was thinking about that too, I know how to polish aluminum, use to work at a foundry and did finishing, but I wondered how it would look on a street tard...thats street legal SuperMoto to those of you who don;t know! HA! I bet itll look kinda bling which isn;t all that bad for a street legal dirt bike!

• 767driver

Posted July 25, 2006 - 07:42 AM

Well you got my curiosity up. How do you polish aluminum? I suppose I could google it but nah that would be too easy.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 25, 2006 - 07:52 AM

Well you got my curiosity up. How do you polish aluminum? I suppose I could google it but nah that would be too easy.

Go to Harbour freight, buy a bench grinder/polisher made for polishing 1800rpm? . Also get some rouge made for aluminum, a big sewn buff, and a flapper wheel in about 200 grit. Put the flapper wheel on one side of the motor, the buff on the other. Get a dust mask and face sheild too, and some leather gloves that fit tight. Flapper wheel the parts AFTER either bead blasting or removing the paint or other finish, then put some rouge on the buff while it is running and start to with medium presure buff out the parts. Itll only cost about $150.00 for all the necessary stuff to do this but having the parts done would be more and you would not be able to say "yeah, i did it myself" when people admire your bling!

• AlbinoPig

Posted July 25, 2006 - 01:13 PM

I have done quite a bit of polishing on my street bikes. Here's some of what I have learned:

First sand the part to be polished with 400 grit wet-or dry sandpaper.
Next sand with 1000 grit wet-or-dry sandpaper.

The 400 grit should be used to remove any deep scratches and all paint.
the 1000 grit will smooth the surfaces to a dull shine and make it a lot easier to get the final shine with a buffer.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.