Need Help with my 600

7 replies to this topic
  • xr500_89

Posted July 23, 2006 - 06:07 PM

i finally got my xr600 put back togethor after purchasing the thing in a total of 6 boxes and am having a hard time getting it started and keeping it running i have a mikuni flatslide pumper on there do any of you have any ideas on making it easier to start and to keep it running it runs for about 15 seconds then bogs when i give it throttle after it starts to run for a bit really tired of kicking please give me a hand.

• surfnride

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:35 PM

put the stock carb on.

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 24, 2006 - 07:08 AM

put the stock carb on.

if you have the stock carb reinstall it like surfnride says. It probably is jetted incorrectly or has another problem with the mikuni. Plus the mikuni may be the wrong carb for a four stroke. Is the mikuni a TM flatrslide? and what size is it in mm of bore? Also, what year is the bike?

• xr500_89

Posted July 30, 2006 - 08:10 PM

sorry been away, stock carb is trashed no way its goin neer that bike second i had the TMP-40 mikuni flatslide there is nothing wrong with the carb i had it runnig breefly, any tips for tuning, cause im about to leave it in the garage, and besides the tmp is made for 4 strokes i have never seen it on anything other than a four stroke.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 31, 2006 - 12:35 PM

sorry been away, stock carb is trashed no way its goin neer that bike second i had the TMP-40 mikuni flatslide there is nothing wrong with the carb i had it runnig breefly, any tips for tuning, cause im about to leave it in the garage, and besides the tmp is made for 4 strokes i have never seen it on anything other than a four stroke.

Good, then lets start from the get go, itll start but won;t keep running right? If itll start does it start easy, or do you have to kick the crap out of it first, also, when it starts, does it run ok then quit, or what happens when you throttle in on? Does it need the choke to start on a warm day or to keep running. see where I am going with this? It is all related to jetting so far. Answer these questions and we'll go from there. I feel you should have about a 168 main, a 65 pilot, and the needle in the second or third clip up from the pointy end, but this is a baseline, I don;t know what the mikuni needs from there. I also need to know what mods you have and what general condition you feel the motor is in, like compression, it should have about 128psi warmed up....that kinda stuff. Oh and since this is an 89, didn;t it have dual carbs on it stock? If so what manifold is on it now to handle the single carb...???

• xr500_89

Posted August 10, 2006 - 12:43 PM

sorry been away again no 89 was the single carbe setup, i finally decided after all this time to take it to a shop and have it jetted if i had time i woulda done it but between my day job and going to the dojo to teach i have no time thanks for all your guy's responses

• snaggleXR650

Posted August 10, 2006 - 03:59 PM

XR500, I use a Mikuni TM40 pumper on my XR650R. I've had TONS of practice jetting it b/c they come jetted real goofy. If you still have problems, let me know...

• xr500_89

Posted August 11, 2006 - 07:50 AM

well the shop i took it to is a reputable shop in my area and i doubt i'll have any problems afterwards but if you could email me any help info you have to xpeder89@earthlink.net i would greatly appreciate it

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  159 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.