250f to 450f.... Do it?

18 replies to this topic
  • Hitch22

Posted July 23, 2006 - 03:23 PM

Hey guys I'm thinking about making the switch to a 450. I want to get an 06 and im leaning towards the 450. What do you guys suggest? I like the 250f alot but im looking for a little more. Are you guys satisfied with new 450? Any one regret doing so? Thanks for the help. Im selling the 250f thats in my garage so check it out!

• barch88

Posted July 23, 2006 - 04:14 PM

Not one regret at all, the bikes perfect, not one problem. Go for it man! You will love this bike.

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted July 23, 2006 - 05:34 PM

I love my 450. I rode my 450 for about a month and I decided to ride my 250F and it felt like a lawn mower went faster. I don't think I will ever own a 250F again.

• Hitch22

Posted July 23, 2006 - 05:47 PM

I love my 450. I rode my 450 for about a month and I decided to ride my 250F and it felt like a lawn mower went faster. I don't think I will ever own a 250F again.

How did you compare the handling between the two?

• Way Fast Whitey

Posted July 23, 2006 - 06:04 PM

i asked that before, and they all said night and day, the 2006 is way better, feels lighter and feels flickable. :thumbsup:

• KK2

Posted July 23, 2006 - 06:53 PM

how much are you asking?

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted July 23, 2006 - 07:00 PM

Day and night. You can just lay the 450 on its side and rail threw burms.

• centermass

Posted July 23, 2006 - 07:54 PM

you will love this bike :thumbsup:

• ben_suhard

Posted July 23, 2006 - 08:48 PM

Have a go at the 450 for a while, if you don't like it you can always go back to the 250. The 250 is a fun and easy to ride bike, but you'll enjoy the challenge and rush of the 450. Just this last weekend I was on a trail ride camp and had a neighbour telling me how much better his KX250F is compared to the '03 YZ450f he used to own. He said he had a ride on his friend's '06 YZ450F (which is what I've got), but his KX250F was still better. Well, out of about ninety riders, we got to ride together for a bit, now there should be no doubt in his mind which bike is better after my 450 blew him away, he didn't say much after that. Most of the tracks were very sandy and tight, but this guy on an XR650 with a big long range fuel tank was flying. I was so surprised how fast he got that thing through the tight stuff; definitely opened my eyes to how fast you can get a big pig to go!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barch88

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:44 PM

Have a go at the 450 for a while, if you don't like it you can always go back to the 250. The 250 is a fun and easy to ride bike, but you'll enjoy the challenge and rush of the 450. Just this last weekend I was on a trail ride camp and had a neighbour telling me how much better his KX250F is compared to the '03 YZ450f he used to own. He said he had a ride on his friend's '06 YZ450F (which is what I've got), but his KX250F was still better. Well, out of about ninety riders, we got to ride together for a bit, now there should be no doubt in his mind which bike is better after my 450 blew him away, he didn't say much after that. Most of the tracks were very sandy and tight, but this guy on an XR650 with a big long range fuel tank was flying. I was so surprised how fast he got that thing through the tight stuff; definitely opened my eyes to how fast you can get a big pig to go!

Sound's like he just is jealous :thumbsup:

• Hitch22

Posted July 24, 2006 - 06:45 AM

how much are you asking?

I have it up in the TT classifieds. Here is the link to it.
http://www.thumperta...p?product=15135

Any questions just email me.

• grayracer513

Posted July 24, 2006 - 07:47 AM

My son just went from his 250F to an '06. He was fast enough on the little bike that people we met often though it was a 426. He's considerably faster on the '06, though. Looks like he's adapting well:
Looks like he's adapting...

Our 250's for sale, too. Look in the classifieds or PM.

• ben_suhard

Posted July 24, 2006 - 10:30 AM

Sound's like he just is jealous :thumbsup:

Yeah, maybe, but I think he was actually serious. It fired me up a bit when he said that his bike was better, and even if it killed me, I had to prove him wrong. His girlfriend(who also rides) saw my step seat and was interested in doing the same to her seat, but in private he told her that those kind of things were only used by people who can't ride. She's still interested, we were discussing it while waiting for him to get back to camp. I told her to tell him that Ricky uses one and if he can use one, anyone can!

• barch88

Posted July 24, 2006 - 02:29 PM

My son just went from his 250F to an '06. He was fast enough on the little bike that people we met often though it was a 426. He's considerably faster on the '06, though. Looks like he's adapting well:
Looks like he's adapting...

Our 250's for sale, too. Look in the classifieds or PM.

Nice pic man, do you have a '06 to yourself, or is it your kids ride? You just ride the '03?

Yeah, maybe, but I think he was actually serious. It fired me up a bit when he said that his bike was better, and even if it killed me, I had to prove him wrong. His girlfriend(who also rides) saw my step seat and was interested in doing the same to her seat, but in private he told her that those kind of things were only used by people who can't ride. She's still interested, we were discussing it while waiting for him to get back to camp. I told her to tell him that Ricky uses one and if he can use one, anyone can!

:thumbsup: He sounds like a *******.

• grumper thumper

Posted July 24, 2006 - 08:49 PM

I've owned a 06/yz450f for about 15 hours of riding, but find I'm having
an overheating problem when I work the bike at low speed, deep mud ect.
I also have a popping at mid rpm, that even the dealer can't stop.
Other then that, I love the pwr&handling.

• jwcrf05

Posted July 24, 2006 - 09:04 PM

I've owned a 06/yz450f for about 15 hours of riding, but find I'm having
an overheating problem when I work the bike at low speed, deep mud ect.
I also have a popping at mid rpm, that even the dealer can't stop.
Other then that, I love the pwr&handling.

you are most certainly lean, forget about the dealer, I have been to dealers and have asked for jets for my bike and they look at me like what, a 170 thats huge, you want something way smaller, then I proceed to say well thats one size bigger than stock so yeah, i'm gonna need that 170. anyway get yourself a larger pilot jet, if you are stock now, then go up to a 48, get a 170 main and while your at it buy an adjustable fuel screw. you should not be overheating or popping once you get it dialed in perfect.

• barch88

Posted July 24, 2006 - 10:24 PM

you are most certainly lean, forget about the dealer, I have been to dealers and have asked for jets for my bike and they look at me like what, a 170 thats huge, you want something way smaller, then I proceed to say well thats one size bigger than stock so yeah, i'm gonna need that 170. anyway get yourself a larger pilot jet, if you are stock now, then go up to a 48, get a 170 main and while your at it buy an adjustable fuel screw. you should not be overheating or popping once you get it dialed in perfect.

Most dealers are complete idiots. I went to a 48 Pilot, kept the 165 Main. You're bike should have came with a 170 and 160 Mains in a little bag, along with the spark plug tool, jetting needle tool, etc...

• blue450frider

Posted July 25, 2006 - 04:58 PM

the bike is mint nothing wrong just make sure u hang on

• grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2006 - 05:23 PM

Nice pic man, do you have a '06 to yourself, or is it your kids ride? You just ride the '03?

Yeah, the kid gets the '06 and I'm "stuck with" my '03....but I'm working on that. :thumbsup:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.