Front Sprocket nut wont stay tight

10 replies to this topic
  • 2001YZF426Rider

Posted July 23, 2006 - 02:36 PM

On my 2001 426, the front sprocket nut wont stay tight, it always comes loose while we are riding, but it never comes off... Anyone have any ideas... Actually now that i think about it, i dont think there is the washer between the nut and sprocket, that could be the reason right? If so, where can i get a washer for that?

• mpl239

Posted July 23, 2006 - 04:23 PM

My 01 426 has an eared washer, that bends over a flat on the nut. A stock item, kinda like safety wire. See the dealer.

• Zique

Posted July 23, 2006 - 04:56 PM

Yes, there is supposed to be a lock washer that fits over the teeth of the drive shaft then bends on one side to prevent the nut from backing out.

Yamaha OEM Part #90215-21001-00
Approximately $2.52 at your local dealer.

• 02YZ426

Posted July 23, 2006 - 05:55 PM

You definatley need to get that washer... thats why its there, to keep the nut from backing off.

• hedpi

Posted July 23, 2006 - 07:21 PM

yeah i had that problem on my YZFR6 because the washer wasnt there, i got the washer, problem gone..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2001YZF426Rider

Posted July 25, 2006 - 06:00 PM

Well the dumbass that i am, when i put on a new front sprocket, forgot to put that washer back on, so i put it on and made sure it was folded over the nut, not going anywhere now! Right after i made the post i remembered i didnt put the washer on and went out in the garage, found it and put it on. Thanks for the help!

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted July 29, 2006 - 02:16 PM

Well guys, i bent the washer over the nut, but not on every side, and it still came loose, should i bend it over the nut everywhere so then it cant come loose?

• yogist

Posted July 29, 2006 - 03:03 PM

This is the reason you need a manual....Buy the manual , please.......

• Diode663

Posted July 30, 2006 - 09:06 AM

You need to tighten the nut more, the washer is only there to keep the nut from backing off completely if it does come loose.

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted July 31, 2006 - 03:34 PM

This is the reason you need a manual....Buy the manual , please.......

I already have the manual, i know what i am doing. I am baffled why The damn thing isnt staying tight.. We put a socket wrench on it and then hit the wrench with a hammer to get it tighter, havent rode it since we did that so i dont know how it will hold up.

• Blue4Ever

Posted July 31, 2006 - 03:47 PM

You will need to hold the back brake on while you thighten the nut, i beleive it should be thightened to approx. 54 ft.lbs. Then flod the washer over one of the flat sides(not on one of the pointed ones.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.