XRR speedo question

2 replies to this topic
  • hypersthenos

Posted July 23, 2006 - 01:24 PM

When I bought my BRP the seller threw in an aftermarket speedo that he had not yet installed-still in the box that he had bought over the internet. The instructions were included but no indication of who produces it. It is an ATK mechanical speedo with OEM Honda igntion switch all set up on a nice aluminum bracket. Bolted right up I illuminates well. Problem is the speedo readings are all over the place. Impossible to regulate speed with it. The installation was straightforward-just screw the original speedo cable into the new unit & a couple screws in the original odo mounting holes on the triple clamp. There is a mild kinks in the cable as it enters the speedo because it enters very near the front of the upper triple clamp. Could this be the culprit or is this just a low quality product?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MindBlower

Posted July 23, 2006 - 06:34 PM

I have the ATK speedo and ignition key setup and it is a high quality piece IMO. I'm sure the kink is the problem, mine is dead on. You're lucky to have that, the guy that made them was only able to get a few of those speedo's before they ran out. He still sells the bracket, keyed ignition and a round speedo that goes to 160mph that isn't as nice.

• hypersthenos

Posted July 24, 2006 - 11:58 AM

Yessir, you were correct. I gently pried up on the mounting plate for a better angle for the speedo cable which helped. One other thing which I undid was to slightly loosen the locknuts which hold the speedo to the bracket. I had tightened them a little prior to mounint is which was a mistake. Once lossend, (just enough that the the nylon on the locknuts is still in full contact with the threads) I took the bike for a ride & the speedo works perfectly. One other thing I did was to mount the hi-beam indicator light, which came with to BD DSK to the speedo bracket between the keyed switch & the speedo. Its as if the bracket was designed for it. I just drilled a 31/64 hole & pressed the blue light into it. It was a bit of a snugg fit. As I broke off the little plastic mounting tabs on the light assembly when removing it from the original bracket, I simply slipped a rubber grommet on the underside, snugged it against the new bracket & put a small zip-tie tightly in the groove in the grommet & it works great!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.