Is it worth it??

15 replies to this topic
  • XR250_RIDER_14

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:24 AM

I am looking at buying a 2003 yz450f for 3200 asking price with some aftermarket parts already on it.

Why is the 2003 Honda worth 3800 for dealer asking price while the yamaha is only worth like 3200 in kelly bluebook? Is the 03 a bad year for the 450 yamaha? Is it the first year of the 450 yamaha? I have heard that there are ONLY FOUR GEARS. I have always had atleast five gears on a bike and my XR had 6 gears. Can you get used to it? What will it top out at? What is my best bet on what kind of 450 to buy? Is 3200 a high price to pay?

The guy told me that he bought it from a guy who went in the military and he got it for cheap and since then he has only ridden it twice.

Please tell me all you know since I am getting rid of my yz250 (badass bike) for a hopefully more powerful 450??

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:42 AM

Sounds like a deal. Hell I'm asking $3200 for my 03 250F. That and Honda's hold there value better then any other bike. I have no idea why cause they are pieces of sh!ts.

• BergArabia

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:46 AM

I think the Hondas do have a higher resale, name recognition thing and maybe a bit easier to ride until the 06 of course.
Honda were also more expensive new.
But I think that is good for you coz I think the YZ will be a more reliable and better bike.
So many 03 hondas are just plain hard to start.
your YZ250 is that a 2 smoke or a YZ250f?

• Jaycycle

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:51 AM

Do it! I believe that was the first 450 for yami but its an AWESOME bike. Yes it does only have 4 gears but I like it. I usually never have to shift at the track, 3rd gear the whole time. The only thing I don't like is the power rolls on so fast, it isn't smooth at all. The only time thats a problem for me is coming out of corners, but you get used to it. You will defiantly get and feel more power then the 250. If its in good condition 32 is a pretty good price. Mine has been very reliable and I highly recommend the bike over the Honda.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:17 AM

I am selling my 2001 yz250 2-stroke for 2300 and buying this bike for 3200. Is it worth it? Is the yzf faster than my 250 2 stroke (FAST) I have never even rode a 450. Should I ask more for my yz?

And I need to know what does the yzf 03 top out at around. I need it to go atleast 75.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:18 AM

The '03-'05 YZ450 sold poorly because of bad press. The early reports were that the engine was too snappy and powerful, even to the point that the press called it "unmanageable", "too much like a two-stroke", and "a pure, race only bike, not for mere mortals". The general take was that it wasn't something that most riders would want to use as a playbike,which, of course, is how most dirt bikes are really used. This was aggravated by the fact that it wasn't completely untrue; the '03, and to a lesser extent, the '04, was a handful.

Then, there was a general misunderstanding of how the 4 speed works. People had the mistaken impression that it was a 5 speed with no 5th, but that's not what it is. Compared with the YZ426, it had a very slightly lower 1st gear, and 4th falls in between the 426's 4th and 5th. If you go a couple of teeth higher on the rear, there's only a 3 mph theoretical difference in top speed, and a lot less shifting.

The Honda, completely ignoring its performance for a moment, was a huge sales success by contrast, and in that case, too, the press had something to do with it, because while it was and is a great motorcycle, it hasn't ever been as perfect as it was represented.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:26 AM

hey grayracer so you are saying that the 450 has a high or low top speed and you are saying that it just has 1st gear removed? does this mean that It will be hell to ride in tight woods trails? And you want to go lower in the rear for higher speed and more in the front for higher speed.

Since this is the first year of the yammi 450 does that mean it has any kind of reliability problems or glitches or anything??

• Jaycycle

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:31 AM

I am selling my 2001 yz250 2-stroke for 2300 and buying this bike for 3200. Is it worth it? Is the yzf faster than my 250 2 stroke (FAST) I have never even rode a 450. Should I ask more for my yz?

And I need to know what does the yzf 03 top out at around. I need it to go atleast 75.

Hmm I'm not sure on what it tops out but I'm sure it does 75. You could also gear it higher in the back if you wanted more top end. But if your really looking for speed I'm not sure if the 03 is what you want, I mean don't get be wrong its fast but doesn't quite top out like some other 450's I have ridden. My suggestion is just test ride it good be for you do anything and see if it suits your needs.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jaycycle

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:34 AM

Im pretty sure (correct me if im wrong) but you want to go up in the back for more top end. And I dont think their was any gliches or anything in the 03. Also I dont know the confusion above but it has 1st gear.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:41 AM

All MX bikes are tricky in the tight stuff because they all have tall first gears compared to true woods/trail bikes. The YZ426 came with a 14/49 combo on it which gave it an overall low gear of 18.21. The '03 450 came with a 14/48. When I geared mine 15/49 (same as a 14/46), I ended up with a 17.78 low gear (stock was 18.64). That setup gives me a top speed on paper of 93 mph (stock is 89). The 426 has a theoretical top speed of 92.

As far as reliability issues are concerned, the '03 did have a smaller rod bearing than the '04 and later, and you do very occasionally hear about one the breaks. But for the most part they are only slightly more troublesome than a sundial or a concrete driveway. Mine has yet to need a valve clearance adjustment.

The only other thing that was actually flawed on the '03 was the clutch; it could be grabby. Use the GYT-R clutch kit to cure this if it shows up.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:48 AM

... you want to go lower in the rear for higher speed and more in the front for higher speed.(?)

It's designed to be confusing. Smaller front and/or larger rear gives you lower gearing ( a lower low, but less top speed and closer gear spacing). Larger front and/or smaller rear gives you higher (taller) gearing (more top speed, lower cruising RPM's, but a higher first gear, and wider ratio spacing). Higher gears (wherein "high gear" is "higher") are lower numerically (i.e., 8:1 is higher than 10:1), and conversely, lower gears (where "low gear" is "lower") are higher numerically.

Fun, ain't it? :thumbsup:

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted July 23, 2006 - 03:13 PM

So if I buy this yz450 and I want it to have a higher top speed what should I do. I would only want to change the front sprocket.

• kyleyz

Posted July 23, 2006 - 03:56 PM

So if I buy this yz450 and I want it to have a higher top speed what should I do. I would only want to change the front sprocket.

Go one/two teeth up in the front.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted July 23, 2006 - 04:20 PM

And as I said is 2300 a good asking price for a 2001 yz250 2 stroke in AWSOME condition?
gnarly pipe and powercore 2 weighted flywheel and renthal bars new top end new tires sprockets chain with about 50 hours on the bike since brand new?

• Jaycycle

Posted July 23, 2006 - 05:16 PM

$2-2,300 seems like a fair price for the year of the bike. Go ahead and try $2,300.

• XR250_RIDER_14

Posted July 24, 2006 - 06:09 PM

Sold the YZ today for 2250 YESSS Looks like Ill be here all the time

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.