Just bought a used 02 426/ oil dripping from PCV hose

8 replies to this topic
  • tx426

Posted July 23, 2006 - 05:48 AM

Just bought a 02 426 and have noticed that oil is spraying on my frame and looks like it is coming from the PCV tube. Did I buy a lemon needing a top end? Am I getting ring blow by?

• Ranger18

Posted July 23, 2006 - 08:34 AM

Clean the bike up, then fire it up and pay close attention to where the oil is comming from. When My brother bought his bike I noticed oil everywere. It turned out that it was just the countershaft seal. (the seal behind the front sprocket) The oil came out of there and was flung all over by the sprocket. If in fact the oil is comming from the pcv hose, it could be that the guy overfilled the oil, in which case that is wher it is going to come out. So don't sweat it just yet.
And if it is blow by, and the enging has ner been rebuilt then it's still not the end of the world. The 426 is practically bullet proof.
good luck

• hedpi

Posted July 23, 2006 - 08:41 AM

what tube? the breather tube on the cam cover? then you must have too much oil..
to check oil level idle the bike for 3minutes or so, then while straight, kill the engine and check the oil level (right after shuting her down, not 5 minutes later)

• barch88

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:09 AM

It just may be overfilled. I would drain the oil, change oil filter and oil anyways if it was used. Go through it, clean it all up, make sure everything is tight, greased, etc...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Terrain Rider 4z

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:20 AM

My bike always blows a little oil on my skid plate, always has. My buddies have the same issue, it is no biggy.

• yogist

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:42 AM

A few drips, some oil on the frame at the end of the tube............Normal..

• tx426

Posted July 24, 2006 - 03:35 AM

Thanks guys for the responses. It is definitely coming from the PVC tube. I mean the bike is STRONG on pulling and definitely has compression, but after an hour or so of riding, I have a lot of dirt built up right behind the exit for the tube and will get a drip or two after shutdown.

• jwcrf05

Posted July 24, 2006 - 05:49 AM

a drip or two is fine especially if you are rididing aggressively, if there is a puddle under it after you ride it then it is either too full, or you need to look at some new rings.

• YZ426F Rider

Posted July 24, 2006 - 08:47 AM

I get the same thing on my '02 426. The bike runs strong and fires up 1st kick 95% of the time. I don't have any oil drip from there after shutting down but when I get done riding there is dirt stuck to oil on my shifter, etc.

Also, like an earlier poster said...run the bike for a few minutes and then check your oil level right away to get an accurate reading.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.