Fcr Carb

6 replies to this topic
  • xr650r_Maine

Posted July 23, 2006 - 01:40 AM

Hey has anybody tryed or used a FCR41-MX carb on the 650r? I am looking for a good hp carb some time soon to go with a Hot-cam stage 1. These are the 3 I`m looking at,
Keihin FCR41-MX
Mikuni tm40-6
Edelbrock
I wonder if these 3 carbs will fit in the stock boots etc... :thumbsup:

What engine company is good for mods etc that does relialable work on the 650r`s, How`s four stroke tech?

• snaggleXR650

Posted July 23, 2006 - 03:26 AM

Hey,
The FCR is the most expensive and the fit is questionable. It will go on, but I think the tank has to be dented in on the bottom to fit.

The Edlebrock is the most popular choice, and the easiest to tune, the fit is fine. Get one at Barnums.

The Mikuni fits fine also, and works great (I use one). Like the FCR, it's very tunable so it's not so easy to setup. However, I've had lots of practice with mine so I can help you get jetted. Get your XR650R kit at Sudco.com.

Did you never get your stock carb sorted?

• xr650r_Maine

Posted July 23, 2006 - 04:08 AM

Hey,
The FCR is the most expensive and the fit is questionable. It will go on, but I think the tank has to be dented in on the bottom to fit.

The Edlebrock is the most popular choice, and the easiest to tune, the fit is fine. Get one at Barnums.

The Mikuni fits fine also, and works great (I use one). Like the FCR, it's very tunable so it's not so easy to setup. However, I've had lots of practice with mine so I can help you get jetted. Get your XR650R kit at Sudco.com.

Did you never get your stock carb sorted?

Snaggle :thumbsup:
Yeah I posted on my findings with my carb problem, easy fix and runs sweet now,Thanks.
What you pay for the Mikuni tm40-6 at Sudco? I see they have a bolt-on kit #001-238 just for the 650r.I e-mailed them(Sudco) waiting for a reply.It`s a toss up between the Edlebrock and the Mikuni tm40-6 but I really like the idea you have it all set-up and dialed in, that might be the leading factor for me.Do you have a performance cam in? I want to later when it`s broken in to go with the carb, either a Hot-cam stage 1 or Burnums mid cam profile.I need more research on what cam is good :ride: . Cool Gene :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • snaggleXR650

Posted July 23, 2006 - 06:26 AM

Actually, I bought it off Ebay, the Sudco XR650R kit. I think it was like $350 or so, but that was almost 4 years ago. Sudco says that it comes pre jetted, but don't believe them, it will need work when you get it. I can help you with that. However, there are LOTS more people with the Edlebrock, so lots more help available. Plus, with the Edlebrock, the bike will run laying on it's side.

To be honest though, these aftermarket carbs are not really a very good bang for the buck, especially if you have your stock carb sorted. The cam (Hot Cams stage 1 is good) is a real good bang for your buck. Also, handlebars, better seat, suspension mods, oversized gas tank etc... will make a much bigger difference than a carb. Choices, choices...

• BWB63

Posted July 23, 2006 - 07:40 AM

I have ran all three plus the HSR 42 Mikuni and the TMZ 40 Mikuni; The TM40 Mikuni was the best for me. It took some time to tune to what I liked but, once tuned was the smoothest with no bad spots. The FCR was to hard to fit but, was even better then the Mikuni. Like I said, to hard to fit. I am running a Edelbrock bored to 42mm right now it has a little spot around 2800 rpm that I just can't get to respond right.
http://xr650r.borynack.com/

• rmhrc630

Posted July 23, 2006 - 12:15 PM

Not that its the same bike but I'm installing an MXFCR on my XR628.

Honda has a fairly standard inlet diameter of 55mm so that helps alot.

I am seeking much improved throttle response, much lighter feel throttle and just a few more HP than the stock XR carby

I beleive the FCRMX does all this. There's also a reason that all the DRZ guys are swithcing to the FCRMX - burned recommends them above most other carbs. There's also a reason all modern 4 strokes come with FCRMXs and not edlebrocks or miks

• BWB63

Posted July 23, 2006 - 12:26 PM

With the FCR you will have to heat the tank and bend a lot of room, grind most of the timing chain tensioner housing away. It will fit but, it takes a lot of work.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.