How often do you re-grease?

4 replies to this topic
  • barch88

Posted July 22, 2006 - 07:13 PM

I greased my bike first thing when I got it home, steering stem bearings, wheel bearings, suspension linkage, etc...I used Amsoil High Speed waterproof lithium grease, it's been 20 hours so far and I took the front wheel off and looked under the dust seals, the bearings still look very packed with grease, so I put it back on, and didn't bother to take the rear wheel off, linkage apart, steering stem apart to check those because I figured they would be fine too.

The bike rolls and turns smooth as butter still, so should I not mess with the grease until my next valve check, or should I tear into it all? Just wondering when you guy's usually go through it all. Also, should I grease the kickstarter bearings? I noticed it has a dust cover behind the kick starter...

Thanks, Mike.

• stock510

Posted July 22, 2006 - 11:10 PM

I guess it depends on what sort of riding you do.

Lately ive been doing A LOT of riding in mud and water and the bike has been getting super dirty. Every few wet rides i pull the thing apart to get the bike super clean (06 450) and go through the greasing process.

If its dry then when you think it needs it??????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • David37

Posted July 22, 2006 - 11:21 PM

IMO the minimum you should be regreasing your linkage and stem bearings is once a year. Wheel bearings I would do every 3-4 months depending on how much riding you do in a month. If you ride in the mud, water and sand a lot, I would regrease every month or every other month.

• barch88

Posted July 22, 2006 - 11:24 PM

I ride in sand/dirt. Nothing like mud or anything with water though. I will just go through them the next 20 hours...:thumbsup: 20 hours for me is about a month...or maybe even less, depeding how much I ride. I usually go once a week for 5 hours or so, but I'm going to start going more often. If I get a track built I will be riding every day, but funds are killer for that... :ride:

Thanks.

• Chickenhauler

Posted July 22, 2006 - 11:48 PM

I tear down and regrease annually, part of the winter boredom killer, but I have zerks in my linkage and grease 1 pump before every ride.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.