yz 426 freeze up!

6 replies to this topic
  • BrokenTheory101

Posted July 22, 2006 - 03:39 PM

My yz 426 recently froze up while I was riding it in the sand. The bike has oil and coolant, but the kick starter just wont seem to move. There is too much compression. Please tell me what you think is wrong with it.

• 642MX

Posted July 22, 2006 - 03:52 PM

The first step is to check the timing.

• obxnc

Posted July 24, 2006 - 05:09 AM

Same thing happened to me at the beginning of the summer... My kickstarter wouldn't budge. My son was riding it and it just locked up. Couldn't even budge the kickstarter. Turned out to be a frozen connecting rod bearing. The bad news is that you have to completely disassemble the motor and replace the crankshaft assembly (about the same cost as having a new bearing pressed on). The good news is that if you use your manual and take your time and have lots of baggies and tables, you can do it in a day with relatively no experience (must have some mechanical ability though). By doing it myself, I spent around $500, including a HotCams exhaust cam. If I would have taken it in, it would have run over $1000 to rebuild the motor.
Good luck and don't forget to post your results. You'll get her going again...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JJHayesIII

Posted July 24, 2006 - 03:03 PM

Same thing as obxnc happened to me on my wr, symptoms were as you described...hopefully it's not as severe as us, and you just jumped timing or something (assuming nothing got eaten)...

• 1rkcooper

Posted July 24, 2006 - 07:57 PM

Try turnng the crank backwards with a socket. If it turns it isn't a siezed bearing. Did it make any bad noises when it quit? I broke a valve and had the same symptoms. The valve was standing vertical in the cylinder jammed between the piston and head. Messed up everything from the connecting rod to the head. $$$$$$ hope this isn't what yours has done.

• offthewall

Posted July 27, 2006 - 02:11 PM

Well, your first problem is that it's a 426. Which means it's old. Which means it's heavy, fouls plugs, has probably never had its valves checked, and was most likely a waste of money. Unless you have red hair, in which case it's AWESOME.

• CRFThumper

Posted July 27, 2006 - 02:16 PM

Well, your first problem is that it's a 426. Which means it's old. Which means it's heavy, fouls plugs, has probably never had its valves checked, and was most likely a waste of money. Unless you have red hair, in which case it's AWESOME.

NICE POST! :thumbsup: :ride: :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.