Rear brake height tall rider

1 reply to this topic
  • YZPilot

Posted July 22, 2006 - 02:53 PM

I'm a pretty new rider and I just bought a 2000 YZ 426 and I've ridden it probably 5 or 6 times.

I have adjusted the rear brake lever to its lowest position and it still lines up at the top of my foot when I'm sitting on the bike. To apply rear brake I have to lift my whole leg and place it on the rear brake lever. It's not as simple as rotating my foot like I'm used to on a road bike.

I'm 6'3" and my knees are forward of the air scoop holes when I'm on the bike, so I think my height just gives my lower leg a pretty extreme angle and the little Japanese guys at Yamaha just never designed it to be adjusted that low.

So two questions:
1. I am supposed to have the rear brake lever under my foot so I don't have to lift my leg to apply rear brake aren't I? A guy at the track the other day told me you don't want your rear brake under your foot because it's too easy to accidentally apply it. That seemed like strange advise to me.

2. What do I need to do to get this brake lever in the right position. I'm sure I'm not the first tall guy to run in to this problem. Again, I've adjusted the pedal to it's lowest position per the Yamaha owners manual.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted July 22, 2006 - 04:52 PM

You do not want your brake pedal to go lower than your footpeg when you press it b/c if you are in a rut it can catch the pedal and rip it off (and often injur your ankle in the process). I'm 6'1'' and I run my pedal just above the height of my footpeg. You should have to take your foot off the peg to hit the brake when you are sitting down.

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.