426 conversion finally complete!

47 replies to this topic
  • witdogg

Posted February 16, 2007 - 05:03 PM

This is my 2002 426 when I bought it a few months ago:
Posted Image Posted Image

After riding it a couple of times to make sure it was mechanically sound I did this:
Posted Image

It's now complete (I just need to clean the chain and put it back on):

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I had been saving for an '06 since I had an old smoker. I realized I really wanted a green sticker bike so this was my solution..

Awesome job.:censored:

• e30M3

Posted February 18, 2007 - 07:46 PM

Did you use a 426 exhaust or 450?

I have the stock header and the FMF Q2 is for an '02 426 (which is what the bike actually is). I have been thinking of geating a FMF header as I have been told that is what the Q2 was really designed around.

• fast426

Posted February 19, 2007 - 06:08 AM

Awesome job!:applause:

Did you paint or powdercoat the frame?

In the second finished pic it looks almost like it has a wrinkle finish.

I'm getting a 450 this spring, so I think my old 426 will be getting a summer face lift.

• e30M3

Posted February 19, 2007 - 07:55 AM

Awesome job!:applause:

Did you paint or powdercoat the frame?

In the second finished pic it looks almost like it has a wrinkle finish.

I'm getting a 450 this spring, so I think my old 426 will be getting a summer face lift.

You have a pretty good eye. I went with a semi gloss black when I powder coated the frame but that isn't what you see in that picture. If you look at the airbox I covered it with a "clear" bumpy material that is supposed to help you keep traction between your legs and the bike. Several companies make similar stuff but I just got the brand my local Yami dealer had in stock. Anyway, I used some of that to cover the frame rails on each side of the bike.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • weston24s

Posted February 19, 2007 - 01:57 PM

how did you get a black gas tank???????

• e30M3

Posted February 19, 2007 - 05:13 PM

how did you get a black gas tank???????

Clarke makes takes that are the stock size but come in different colors. I bought mine from these guys:

http://www.cyclebuy....aha_4stroke.htm

• Zique

Posted May 06, 2007 - 09:33 PM

Is a YZ airbox and a WR airbox the same on the 03-05 450's?

• BergArabia

Posted May 07, 2007 - 10:19 AM

That is a nice looking bike.. :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.