426 conversion finally complete!

47 replies to this topic
  • e30M3

Posted July 22, 2006 - 01:54 PM

This is my 2002 426 when I bought it a few months ago:
Posted Image Posted Image

After riding it a couple of times to make sure it was mechanically sound I did this:
Posted Image

It's now complete (I just need to clean the chain and put it back on):

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

I had been saving for an '06 since I had an old smoker. I realized I really wanted a green sticker bike so this was my solution..

• jr_vw2

Posted July 22, 2006 - 02:12 PM

Dude that is so sweet. It makes me sick, I just went through my bike and it doesn't look anywhere close to that clean.

Posted Image

I love the hurricane kit. where did you find all the yellow plastic, and graphics, is that a yellow tank or a black tank. Did you paint or powdercoat your frame.

Awesome ride man

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted July 22, 2006 - 02:20 PM

That bike looks awesome! Really, that is the best conversion I have ever seen. C L E A N!

You will want to get a glide/skid plate to cover those oil lines, though.

Doug

• foxz

Posted July 22, 2006 - 02:22 PM

what fmf pipe is that??

• e30M3

Posted July 22, 2006 - 02:25 PM

Since I wasn't getting the '06 like a really wanted I decided to completely go through this one, after all I intend to have it a while. Everything was stripped down and I had the frame powder coated black. The Hurricane kit from One industries comes with all the yellow plastics. Since I was doing the conversion to the 450 plastics I just bought the hurricane kit for that year. The tank is a black Clarke tank. Clarke offers different colors in the "stock" size and shape. While I was at it I put in a 450 cam, stainless brake line, and got some power pegz too. I am looking forward to riding it " for the first time".

The pipe is a FMF Q2. About the same size as the stock pipe and much short than the original FMF Q.

Glide plate, oh ya, I knew I forgot something, it's sitting in the corner of my garage!

• yamahacrazy_310

Posted July 22, 2006 - 02:56 PM

Where are you guys getting the different colored gas tanks???

• yamaharider324

Posted July 22, 2006 - 03:05 PM

i would have never thought that was a 426. if anything a 05 450!!!

• e30M3

Posted July 22, 2006 - 03:05 PM

Where are you guys getting the different colored gas tanks???

I had a huge list of things I needed (stuff that wasn't offered on ThumperTalk). I was going to give my business to a local Cycle Gear shop. I stood there waiting over 30 minutes while the guy tried to help me and several other customers. The boss come out of the back to ask a question then went back to his office. I left after that and got everything I needed on line (a few parts come from a local Yami dealer that I will continue to use in the future in addition to ThumperTalk). The tank come from www.cyclebuy.com. I had never ordered through them before but I got an almost instant email confirmation of my order and had the tank a couple of days later.

• e30M3

Posted July 22, 2006 - 03:13 PM

i would have never thought that was a 426. if anything a 05 450!!!

Do you like the carbon fiber fork guides (usually a plastic piece to keep the fork guard from rubbing on the fork). I am actually not all that into bling but they were a lot less then the plastic pieces from an '05. I was afraid they would look like crap after a while so I took some clear 3m sticker material and covered them...details, details.

Ride engineering only showed those pieces for an '05 and newer (which wouldn't fit an '02 without trimming). I when to order them knowing I would need to shave them down and found out that they do have them available for the older bikes...

I also wasn't into the short vent lines that some guys run on the gas tank. After putting the stock line on the bike it just didn't look as clean as I wanted. So I bought a short line and after putting it on I think I am slowly getting use to it.

• jr_vw2

Posted July 22, 2006 - 03:57 PM

How hard was it to fit the 05 450 plastic and air box...etc on the 02 426?? did you have to fab anything??

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • e30M3

Posted July 22, 2006 - 04:09 PM

How hard was it to fit the 05 450 plastic and air box...etc on the 02 426?? did you have to fab anything??

Not very hard-You need the subframe, seat, rear master, airbox, tank, and all the plastics. Most everything bolts right up except the frame/subframe need some trimming and you need to fab a bracket for the tank (or not run one at all). There is a thread on it that gives more info but feel free to send me a private message.

• Satch0922

Posted July 23, 2006 - 04:07 AM

excellent job! Very impressive :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2006 - 12:44 PM

Nice job, e30 :thumbsup: (you know you no longer need the lower brake line guard, right? I discarded mine when I converted the brake line on my '03 because it gets in the way of the axle nut)

There's a very detailed thread on the 450 plastics conversion...Satch did it. :ride:

• XriderR00

Posted July 23, 2006 - 01:26 PM

Did you notice the handling/ergo differences?

• e30M3

Posted July 23, 2006 - 02:13 PM

(you know you no longer need the lower brake line guard, right? I discarded mine when I converted the brake line on my '03 because it gets in the way of the axle nut)

I actually wasn't sure about that. I stuck it on figuring it wouldn't hurt to have a little protection down there, I will probably take it off. I should get a full disk guard since I ride out in Ocotilla (pretty rocky) sometimes.

From everything I have read I anticipate the handling/ergonomics will be a little better but I haven't ridden it yet-hoping to get a chance to ride it next weekend.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2006 - 08:20 PM

Ocotillo Wells? One of my favorite places, too, except for the world's biggest whoops on the Crossover Trail (damn quads). That and Superstiton.

• aford541

Posted July 23, 2006 - 08:47 PM

Very Nice, good work.

• renthal1

Posted July 23, 2006 - 08:48 PM

That is an insanely awesome conversion man! I hate the looks of the 426 they just look like a heavy tank, but that 426 looks like a dangerous full blown MX bike. Like the other guy said looks like a trick 05 450. :thumbsup:

VERY CLEAN! :ride:

• GreenKLX

Posted July 23, 2006 - 08:55 PM

Looks great, nice job. :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:50 PM

Looks like everyone is trying to be like us SE owners :thumbsup: Looks very clean man, looked great when you got it too! Where do you live in California?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.