YZ450 gas in oil?

15 replies to this topic
  • KJ790

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:09 PM

I have an 06 YZ450F and today when I changed the oil I noticed that the oil smelled a little like gas. I have an hour meter on the bike and it only has 4 hours on it and I change the oil every hour. The bike runs great. I have never had this on this bike before nor have I had it on my YZ250F. I can't figure out how this is even possible. Has anyone else had anything like this happen to them? I'm hoping it was a coincidence and that it was just my pan that smelled like gas.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:12 PM

Sounds strange - it should not smell of gas. Changing the oil after each hr is not necessary - go 3/4hrs from this point on :thumbsup:

• barch88

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:16 PM

Every hour is crazy! I would be changing 5 times a day. Just change every 5 hours, you're pry just smelling the gas from the float bowl or something...it shouldnt smell like gas. After your break in (done), you can change less often.

• KJ790

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:22 PM

Oil is a lot cheaper to me than an engine. I change it once a week, which is one race and a short practice, and that works out to be 1 to 1 and a half hours. I don't get to ride that much do to work and school.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:45 PM

Oil is a lot cheaper to me than an engine. I change it once a week, which is one race and a short practice, and that works out to be 1 to 1 and a half hours. I don't get to ride that much do to work and school.

if oil is at your low cost expense map and the labor to change it is free...change it as often as you want...but 3-5 hrs is good.........trust us grasshopper! It will not damage the most reliable motor out there! :thumbsup:
gas smell is another issue .... make sure this is not the case

• Markopolo400

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:01 PM

I would think that the gas smell is just a coincidence.

Aren't you an expert in D3? I think that I've seen you race before.

Changing your oil every hour may be excessive, but if you think that it's nesscesary, then go for it.

• KJ790

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:14 PM

Yeah, I am an expert in district 3. What number are you? I might have seen you before. As for oil, I come from a long line of paranoid mechanics, so I just feel better if I change my oil way too often. I am the first to admit that it is excessive, but it makes me feel better.

• mx1773

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:24 PM

If your float is to high or is stuck it will seep into your engine. Gas will sit on the top of the piston and seep through the rings. The tell tale sign is when you check your oil it gets higher on the dip stick. You probably don't notice because you change your oil so often. Check it close and make note of the place on the dipstick then let it set for a couple days check it again. Pretty simple fix adjust your float or get a new needle and seat. Could just have a small piece of trash in it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:27 PM

Thanks a lot. I'll check it out.

• Markopolo400

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:21 PM

Yeah, I am an expert in district 3. What number are you? I might have seen you before. As for oil, I come from a long line of paranoid mechanics, so I just feel better if I change my oil way too often. I am the first to admit that it is excessive, but it makes me feel better.

I am #400, and I race a yz125 in 125C, and a yz400f in 250C.

Are you going to Thunder this weekend? Or Frozen for their WNYMA race?

• Markopolo400

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:22 PM

If your float is to high or is stuck it will seep into your engine.

And it will spill all over the floor out of the carb overflow tubes.

• KJ790

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:22 PM

I'm going to Thunder sunday. How about you?

• Markopolo400

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:24 PM

I'm going to Frozen.

I went to Thunder once last year, I hated it.

I've heard that they've improved the track alot...So I don't know if I'll go back, since it's a long drive from me, for a dust bowl.

• grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2006 - 11:05 PM

If your float is to high or is stuck it will seep into your engine. Gas will sit on the top of the piston and seep through the rings. The tell tale sign is when you check your oil it gets higher on the dip stick. You probably don't notice because you change your oil so often. Check it close and make note of the place on the dipstick then let it set for a couple days check it again. Pretty simple fix adjust your float or get a new needle and seat. Could just have a small piece of trash in it.

Good call on your first post. Odds are our poster leaves his gas turned on for days at a time. Bad practice. :thumbsup:

However, the dipstick would only show a significant rise in oil level if there was a very considerable amount of fuel in the oil, and of course, only after it had been run long enough to scavenge the sump.

• KJ790

Posted July 22, 2006 - 09:16 AM

I turn off my gas when I'm not riding. That's the thing, I don't see how much gas could get to the lower end. Maybe just a small amount did, but it wa enough to smell.

• grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2006 - 12:49 PM

I turn off my gas when I'm not riding. That's the thing,

Then, does the petcock leak?

You're right, though. It takes only a small amount of fuel to stink up the crankcase. Some oils have a sort of solvent smell of their own in the first place, too.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.