XR650R wheels and spokes - not on the street

6 replies to this topic
  • 1Hondalover

Posted July 21, 2006 - 12:31 PM

I have heard that Buchanan stainless spokes are soft (a soft grade of stainless) and stretch excessively. I have been having difficulty getting a set of wheels to seat on my 650. I just had the spokes replaced with 8 gauge ones because the original builder used what I believe to be 9 gauge. These are both Buchanan stainless spokes.

Someone told me that RAD has a higher tensile stainless spoke that while smaller than an 8 gauge is stronger and prefers to use an alloy nipple. I'm not sure about aluminum nipples on a 300+ pound desert missle.

I am getting mixed reviews on spoke torque as well. I have been told from different walks of wheel building experience torques ranging from 48 inch pounds all the way to 75 inch pounds!

Can anyone share their experiences/knowledge/recommendations here? Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with any of the aftermarket hubs?

• Supplicate

Posted July 21, 2006 - 01:09 PM

If you have a look at the RAD site, they have stainless nipples as well:

http://radmfg.com/spokes.htm

but... I just talked to them on the phone, they don't make spokes long enough for the XR w/ OEM sized hub. Turns out they build their hubs to run a 9 gauge CR spoke.

The guy I talked to on the phone suggested getting Bulldog Spokes from the White Bros. catalogue.

• Kritter

Posted July 22, 2006 - 08:38 AM

Arent bulldog spokes made by buchanan?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Supplicate

Posted July 22, 2006 - 01:24 PM

Arent bulldog spokes made by buchanan?

:thumbsup:

The guy that I talked to from RAD said "If you can, get Bulldog spokes. They are made by the same people that make our spokes."

• mcdrz

Posted July 22, 2006 - 04:13 PM

Kind of off the spoke question, but if you are concerned about spoke strength...safety wire them wherever they cross over. Essentially cutting spoke length in half. It sounds kinda hokie, but it is an old school trick with some definate merit.

• philipstjohn

Posted July 22, 2006 - 07:47 PM

Old school or not, this is a good option for hard core riders

• motochris

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:06 AM

Kind of off the spoke question, but if you are concerned about spoke strength...safety wire them wherever they cross over. Essentially cutting spoke length in half. It sounds kinda hokie, but it is an old school trick with some definate merit.

...and required in SCORE racing.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.