California Dual Sport plate and Green Sticker?

21 replies to this topic
  • Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:38 AM

I realize that you guys aren't DMV employees. But i was wondering, my 2004 WR450 was purchased with a license plate installed. And when i was riding Gorman last weekend, i bent it up pretty bad. I will correct the bracket and plate, but i was wondering:

Can i also apply for a green sticker for this bike, without the DMV taking my street plate away???

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 21, 2006 - 08:30 AM

Technically you're bike shouldn't even have a plate since it's a red stickered bike. I would quietly get a new plate and don't even bring up the sticker or anything else that may cause the DMV to look at it more closely and change their mind about the plate. If the DMV asks when you're getting the replacement bike say it's a street bike. Do not utter the words "off-road" at any time while at the DMV. Even if you were succesful getting it dual registered the best your going to get is a red sticker and that would really raise a flag for them.

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 21, 2006 - 09:21 AM

Thanks, i was thinking the same thing.

I guess i need a stronger license plate bracket, one that wont flop down into the knobby when i catch "big air" lol :thumbsup:

• byggd

Posted July 21, 2006 - 11:37 AM

Technically you're bike shouldn't even have a plate since it's a red stickered bike. I would quietly get a new plate and don't even bring up the sticker or anything else that may cause the DMV to look at it more closely and change their mind about the plate. If the DMV asks when you're getting the replacement bike say it's a street bike. Do not utter the words "off-road" at any time while at the DMV. Even if you were succesful getting it dual registered the best your going to get is a red sticker and that would really raise a flag for them.

I agree. Get your new plate and back away slowly :thumbsup:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 21, 2006 - 11:54 AM

I agree, I wouldn't do anything to raise a red flag. Just be happy you have a plate and a red sticker.... My bike is also dual registered but green with a plate.. :thumbsup:

• Dube2

Posted July 21, 2006 - 03:09 PM

for Gorman, plate and sparky is all you need. :thumbsup: make sure the red sticker is not on the bike, Gorman Rangers will red flag you, $ite you and send you home w/ tail between legs. :ride:

• byggd

Posted July 21, 2006 - 03:15 PM

I agree, I wouldn't do anything to raise a red flag. Just be happy you have a plate and a red sticker.... My bike is also dual registered but green with a plate.. :thumbsup:

With a plate you shouldn't even need to display the red sticker.....the plate trumps it :ride:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 21, 2006 - 04:11 PM

With a plate you shouldn't even need to display the red sticker.....the plate trumps it :thumbsup:

Well, in a perfect world you might be right.. But.... Some Rangers will question the fact that your plate (only) doesn't contribute to their OHV funds and will ask to see your green or red stickers to ride in OHV areas.. Depends on the Ranger......

• LTK300

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:30 PM

I had a ranger tell me that as long as jeeps have regular plates, plates will work on bikes. But I don't trust the #@%$ers, so all of my bikes are dual registerd. :thumbsup:

• boomman

Posted July 22, 2006 - 08:29 PM

I'm new to this forum, are you saying that the WR450 is not a green sticker bike?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • boomman

Posted July 22, 2006 - 08:32 PM

Well, in a perfect world you might be right.. But.... Some Rangers will question the fact that your plate (only) doesn't contribute to their OHV funds and will ask to see your green or red stickers to ride in OHV areas.. Depends on the Ranger......

I don't know about this. That's like saying that any plated 4x4 or car or truck would be under scrutiny.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 22, 2006 - 09:56 PM

Well first off a plated bike can go anywhere a red/green stickered bike can go but it must have all the street legal equipment on it. Any ranger that tells you different is bs'ing you. I've never been hassled about my plate but then again if you act like a jackass expect to be treated like one. And yes the 03/04 WR's are red sticker. 05's & newer are green.

• sorbs

Posted July 22, 2006 - 10:09 PM

If you have a plate you DO NOT need OHV stickers...you have an On Road Vehicle. http://www.dmv.ca.go...ohvredgreen.htm where they can throw a fit is when they inspect your VIN. If you let them get that close then you pull out your registration.

Someone behind the counter gave you a break when they issued your plate. Just keep your registration with you when you ride in a closed area to red stickers.

• JSanfilippo

Posted July 23, 2006 - 11:49 PM

Maybe this guy has a Canadian bike??? Does it have a "3" or a "C" in the 8 digit of the VIN?? If not its a Canuk bike

• byggd

Posted July 24, 2006 - 08:12 AM

Well first off a plated bike can go anywhere a red/green stickered bike can go but it must have all the street legal equipment on it. Any ranger that tells you different is bs'ing you. I've never been hassled about my plate but then again if you act like a jackass expect to be treated like one. And yes the 03/04 WR's are red sticker. 05's & newer are green.

Exactly, which means legally the mirror must be on at all times too. That being said I have been stopped by a ranger on both my KLR and XL and not having my mirror on wasn't an issue.

• tp3dxf

Posted July 24, 2006 - 10:08 AM

I realize that you guys aren't DMV employees. But i was wondering, my 2004 WR450 was purchased with a license plate installed. And when i was riding Gorman last weekend, i bent it up pretty bad. I will correct the bracket and plate, but i was wondering:

Can i also apply for a green sticker for this bike, without the DMV taking my street plate away???

I have a 01WR426 with a plate. I keep breaking plate brackets. I have been using the Baja Designs thin aluminum stamped brackets and they seem to like to crack then hit my rear tire and get ripped off. I've gone thru two this year. And they aren't cheap. What kind of plate bracket are you using?

• gdm

Posted July 24, 2006 - 10:45 AM

I have a 01WR426 with a plate. I keep breaking plate brackets. I have been using the Baja Designs thin aluminum stamped brackets and they seem to like to crack then hit my rear tire and get ripped off. I've gone thru two this year. And they aren't cheap. What kind of plate bracket are you using?

Scotts Performance license plate mount, $19.95.http://scottsperformance.com

• Thumper_Bloke

Posted July 24, 2006 - 10:53 AM

Mine is like this:
https://www.bajadesi...ItemCode=602051
And i have broken the bulb housing and bent the frame pretty bad.

I really like the Scotts Performance bracket, but there's no license plate bulb.
http://scottsperform...photos2/578.jpg

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 24, 2006 - 10:57 AM

I really like the Scotts Performance bracket, but there's no license plate bulb.
http://scottsperform...photos2/578.jpg

Do you really need one? I've never been questioned about it.

• AHRMA17L

Posted July 24, 2006 - 03:22 PM

The answer is easy, make your own out of 1/8 or 3/16 aluminum plate--I understand that liberated road signs are a good source of material for license plate brackets. I will post pictures when I get home. I make them for a number of dual sport guys.

I'll sell you one for $35.00 but I would feel bad when you can do it yourself for less than $10.00.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.