Dave

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:59 AM

probably in the neighborhood of 450mph.

that'd be around 200m/s...

...if you jump it out of an airplane.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted July 21, 2006 - 08:04 AM

which would actually be faster than an R, as it would likely fall faster as the mass is greater.

so :thumbsup:

• captb

Posted July 21, 2006 - 10:38 AM

My 93 L did about 87 actual MPH, the last 4 MPH took awhile, but I think on the Bonneville Salt Flats I could have got 88 MPH, if it wasn't for the altitude :thumbsup:

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted July 21, 2006 - 11:02 AM

I had mine up around 85ish once, that was enough to make my pucker string start to lose it's usefulness. :thumbsup: I really have no desire to try to beat that personnel record again. Thing was starting to bob like a cork in the perfect storm.

• HawkGT

Posted July 21, 2006 - 11:53 AM

which would actually be faster than an R, as it would likely fall faster as the mass is greater.

I know you're kidding....BUT, objects fall at the same speed regardless of their mass.

• Muddin

Posted July 21, 2006 - 01:13 PM

:cry: I can get 150+km (93+mph) on the highway but wouldn't want to run it like that for long :thumbsup: :ride:

• justicedone

Posted July 21, 2006 - 02:11 PM

Actually Sir Issac Newton disproved that theory hundreds of years ago.

I made $20 on a bet with a friend dropping a pencil and a brick that they would hit the floor at the same time. He was sure the brick would win...and I made a quick $20...ha ha ha

btw, my stock 650L would hit a good 90mph but I lost about 5mph on top end going to 14/48 gears

but it was well worth it closing that 1-2 gap.

• cleonard

Posted July 21, 2006 - 02:20 PM

I know you're kidding....BUT, objects fall at the same speed regardless of their mass.

In a vacuum. In air things change. Compare a block of styrofoam to the same mass in a lead ball. If they only fall 1 foot, they will be real close. If the distance is far enough that the objects build some air speed, the lead ball has less drag and will go quite a bit faster.

I'd bet the terminal velocity of a XR650L would be less than 250mph. I'd guess 150 to 200 mph.

I think that 85 kind of sucks. I had a 78 XL250S and it did 75 when clocked with a friend in a car. My piece of crap 80 CM400T does 85 relatively easily.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Supplicate

Posted July 21, 2006 - 02:44 PM

In air things change.

between an R and an L the air resistance (drag coefficient) would likely be the same, so they would both still fall at the same speed. And you are correct about terminal velocity.

• Wheels up

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:38 PM

With 15/48 gearing my bike will go 102 mph wide open
With 15/45 gearing it did 109 mph wide open.

Both were done against another vehicle to verify speed and it was within 2-3 mph so I figure it close to being exact.

When the bike was stock I never went 100 mph + with it. 95 mph or so wrapped it up. Good air here also.

Happy trails

• LotsOfBikes

Posted July 21, 2006 - 11:23 PM

Take your 650L to a long steep downhill and you can get it to go about 115 mph. Even though the bike could go faster, the rev limiter prevents the engine from going any faster.

To prove this, when you've reached your top speed, and you know that the engine can't go any faster, pull in the clutch with the throttle wide open. If the engine doesn't rev up any higher, then you are already at the rev limiter.

And no, you wont hurt it.

• 2000 xr650r

Posted July 22, 2006 - 11:11 AM

As you can see i own a xr650r. It has stock 14/48 gearing and according to my speedometer the rev limiter is at 100/102mph. Someone said with their 650L, and 15/48 it tops at 102mph. Does this mean the R revs more, or the L is short in the power department? Just curious.

• HappyCurmudgeon

Posted July 24, 2006 - 04:10 AM

Yup, i was of course kidding. The last time i went skydiving (read as dumb-assed military mandated stunt) Someone said the top speed of a human in free-fall going straight down like a spear was around 250mph. So i figured with a rider, going straight down, i would embellish a bit and pulled a number out of my a...errr... i picked a number at random.

What i really had intended by my post, was to poke a stick at the R pilots to see what i could stir up. :ride:
I really didn't intend this to start a discussion on Sir Isaac Newton. :thumbsup:

Yes, in a vacuum, or in a very short distance where there is not enough time/distance for atmospheric resistance to become a factor, then yes; a pencil and a bowlingball (or brick) will hit the ground at the same time. Take them both to 12,000ft and the pencil will flip and flutter around long after the bowling ball has crashed through someone's roof. A combination of mass and aerodynamics will get the bowling ball to Tera firma first every time.

I am keenly aware that air resistance changes free-fall speeds. Anyone that doesn't know that, or doesn't want to believe it, go jump out of an airplane. You'll get firsthand knowledge of that indisputable fact very, very quickly. If i am right, you would have a nice panoramic view of the landscape as you float calmly down to earth, if i am wrong, you would impact the ground screaming like a 50cal round hitting 24" of plate steel armor, and that'd fecker up the rest of your riding day!

If air resistance didn't effect free-fall, parachutes would fall at the same rate as a rock. (I.E. YOU)

• Supplicate

Posted July 24, 2006 - 06:25 AM

As you can see i own a xr650r. It has stock 14/48 gearing and according to my speedometer the rev limiter is at 100/102mph.

I had my R in stock trim logged on GPS at 109.9 :thumbsup: :ride:

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 24, 2006 - 06:45 AM

I had my R in stock trim logged on GPS at 109.9 :thumbsup: :ride:

Mine is an R, and at that a 600R, but with 15-42 it goes 102, but it isn't at the rev limiter. Maybe I should explain, it isn't stock and this was up at my house on a long streight but at 7420 feet above sea level. Down in town it may pull top gear on the rev limiter, that is only a mile high at 5280ft where Im going to try it. Ill take my GPS along to see if the Endurance by Trail tech is accurate.

• ACMoodz

Posted July 24, 2006 - 07:42 AM

I'm not sure of the accuracy of my speedo, but on a ride to Okeechobee Florida, I passed a car at 100+ when my L was 100% stock. Scared the S*** out of me when I looked down at the speedo. Was the speedo wrong? I regularly do 85 - 90mph.

• motomonte

Posted July 24, 2006 - 09:10 AM

Oh yeah but the one with the greater mass will reach that speed first (terminal speed)hence hitting the ground first.The 650L simply wins this time. :thumbsup:

• sorenlaf

Posted July 24, 2006 - 11:24 AM

Oh yeah but the one with the greater mass will reach that speed first (terminal speed)hence hitting the ground first.The 650L simply wins this time. :thumbsup:

Just the opposite.

Almost.

Initially, the speeds will be the same.

The one with the lower normalized drag (drag/mass) will reach terminal velocity last and will have a higher terminal velocity.

Given the same drag, the L would reach terminal velocity last due to its higher mass and that velocity would be greater than the R's.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.