XR600 questions

2 replies to this topic
  • JGalt

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:50 AM

'94 XR600, U.S. model, dual sported, stock piston, cam, compression

1. What are octane requirements?

2. What is the redline of this engine?

3. What is the rpm range you want to stay in when cruising?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cleonard

Posted July 21, 2006 - 09:33 AM

'94 XR600, U.S. model, dual sported, stock piston, cam, compression

1. What are octane requirements?

2. What is the redline of this engine?

3. What is the rpm range you want to stay in when cruising?

The owners manual seems to indicate that regular (87) is OK. I have run regular when I had no other choice and I had no issues. However, I normally run premium. In some situations the bike will ping even on premium. Since it's an air cooled engine, it gets real hot in slow going full throttle conditions, like sand dunes. That's when it will ping on premium, high temps, slow speed, and lots of throttle.

Since there is no tach, knowing the rpm numbers is not of that much use. The 600 has a rev limiter. I think it is set to a relatively low 7500 or so rpm, but I'm not sure. I'm a trail rider, and I find it does it's best work at low revs. It's all about the low end torque for me.

When you say cruising, I'm thinking that you are talking about the street. A lot of people who ride XR600s on the street gear, the bike out for lower revs. With the stock 14/48 gearing, it's revving pretty high at 65-70 mph speeds. A simple first step it to get a 15 tooth front sprocket. That lowers the revs a bit, but is easy to swap the 14 back in for trail riding.

• JGalt

Posted July 21, 2006 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I'm kind of new to the bike. A friend induced me to buy it go with a group for trips to Copper Canyon, Mexico and trips in New Mexico and Colorado. I'm sorting things out now and am trying to figure out its habits and strengths. I have a 50 tooth rear sprocket, but I haven't counted the front spocket yet. I have knobbies now but will be switching to a compromise dual sport type of tire in the future. The question about revs was to figure out how high it was turning at highway speeds. It sound like I may need to change one or both sprockets if I want to be able to do 70-75mph. I have kust learned that Trail Tech now sells a combo speedometer-odometer-tachometer lus it apparently has a temperaure guage. My next goal is to try to find a mirror that is functional and can tolerate trips off road.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.