03 wr 450 water pump

7 replies to this topic
  • bigblockchevelle

Posted July 21, 2006 - 03:53 AM

Hey guys, the last few times I have started my bike cold, I get some drops of coolant from under the water pump area. This morning, there was many drops but it is like it stops when it gets warm. I thought i had a seal leaking but I got underneath it and can see it is coming from a weep hole in the pump housing? Has anyone else experienced this. It looks like it is part of that whole side cover assembly?

• djv5

Posted July 21, 2006 - 04:22 AM

I had the same problem with my 2003 WR450. It will get worse over time, especially when the weather gets colder. There are a couple of weep seals that you will need to replace on the waterpump impeller shaft. I had the seals replaced at the same time as I had the valves adjusted at a local Yamaha service dealership. Total price was $180 for valve adjustment, seal replacements, and an oil/filter change. You can probably do it yourself really cheap, the majority of the bill was labor.

If you decide to do it yourself, I can dig up my service repair receipt for part #'s. I am from Michigan as well.

• bigblockchevelle

Posted July 21, 2006 - 09:52 AM

Dealer informed me that i need to remove the entire clutch cover to install the new seal which sounds like it is the same one you had replaced. still debating on doing it myself as it is do for an oil change anyway! thanks for the reply. Where in Michigan are you?

• kskyles

Posted July 21, 2006 - 10:27 AM

it's really easy to do it yourself. Just grab your manual and check out this post by TARFELE

http://www.thumperta...ight=water pump

I did it in about 90 minutes. The part numbers are even in this post.

Use the search function to find more info. A lot of people have done this one. you have to take off the clutch cover, case cover, oil filter cover, water pump cover, and exhaust pipe.

anyone can do it :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigblockchevelle

Posted July 21, 2006 - 11:19 AM

I see there is some confusion on which way the seals face. What do you guys recommend. I didnt find anything that specified in the manual. thanks again guys

• kskyles

Posted July 21, 2006 - 12:17 PM

the oil seal has the hollow side facing the engine, and the water seal will have the hollow side facing away from the engine.

at least, that's what i understand. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 22, 2006 - 05:30 AM

the oil seal has the hollow side facing the engine, and the water seal will have the hollow side facing away from the engine.

at least, that's what i understand. someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

That is correct. The hollow side always faces the fluid side. Therefore the weep hole should be dry if the seals are both good. :thumbsup:

• kskyles

Posted July 22, 2006 - 01:19 PM

HEY!

if Indy says i'm right, then that's the way it is....

:thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.