Is a 426 a good starter bike for me?

28 replies to this topic
  • srhines67

Posted July 22, 2006 - 12:11 AM

I am not an experienced rider and I do great on an 02 426. Just remember that smooth throttle control will keep you in one piece. If you're smart with the throttle that bike will be loads of fun and will do anything you have the guts to try. Just don't start feeling to much testosterone and think you are RC and do something stupid. I dump mine every so often but have avoided any real injuries because I ride at my level and not the high-end ameture MX racer's I ride with.

• centermass

Posted July 23, 2006 - 07:42 PM

your gonna love that bike just keep an eye on the valves and change the oil she's a runner.. if you find that the throttle bogs wich you most likely will try the boyesen quickshot it cleared my bog up right away

• Kyle Prior

Posted July 23, 2006 - 08:38 PM

Well, I had my first ride on the bike today, had a blast, even though I got heat exhaustion half way through the ride, and dumped the bike once. It is so fun, but I have yet to pin the throttle open, as I do not really know the bike that well yet. I have decided to spend the $350 and get a Scott steering stabilizer once I can afford it, as I already have the mounts for it.

It does bog a little of the start, but not really bad at all. I do iwsh it had an electric start sometime, as I still occasionally stall it..

I also broke my front brake level, so I had to change that, and my grips, because one tore open. I've also decided not to get new plastics and graphics until I know the change of me laying it down is greatly reduced, which probably wont be for another month or so.

I have pictures on the bikein my garage now also, so check it out.

• GreenKLX

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:05 PM

Nice bike, your gonna love riding. I would get a case saver as soon as possible though, cheap insurance. :thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barch88

Posted July 23, 2006 - 09:36 PM

You will get used to it, I commented on it in you're garage. What kind of chain slider is that? Looks interesting, definitely not stock that's for sure. You will get a better handling feel for the bike and soon enough you won't go down once.

Have fun!

• coffee

Posted July 23, 2006 - 10:58 PM

Well, I had my first ride on the bike today, had a blast

It does bog a little of the start, but not really bad at all. I do iwsh it had an electric start sometime, as I still occasionally stall it..

I also broke my front brake level, so I had to change that, and my grips, because one tore open. I've also decided not to get new plastics and graphics until I know the change of me laying it down is greatly reduced, which probably wont be for another month or so.

I have pictures on the bikein my garage now also, so check it out.

Sounds Great!

Bark busters, and of course good riding gear are good things.
You may want to really think about how important estart might be to you before you go putting a bunch of $ into it.

"The YZF426 is one of the best built dirt bikes of all time", "but they can be hard to start" - Eric Gorrs book - 3rd edition.

• barch88

Posted July 23, 2006 - 11:04 PM

Once you get better on the bike you won't need Ez-Start because you won't fall, the bike won't stall = Profit.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted July 24, 2006 - 07:09 AM

What kind of chain slider is that?

He has a TM Designworks chain slider. The decal came off of it a while ago though. I took him out on the trail yesterday, and even though the bike gave him a bit of a hard time at first...once he got riding he was good to go. I can tell he'll be a moto-holic for life. About 426's being hard to start, towards the end of the ride when the bike would be hottest, he sat there kicking for a good ten minutes before it would fire (he even already knows the drill). He never gave up, though. :thumbsup:

Doug

• Junior426

Posted July 24, 2006 - 05:11 PM

Congrats man, sound like your having fun already. I bought an '01 426 as my first bike and havent looked back ever since, it is absolutely amazing. Being bigger I think definately helps people from crashing but crashing will never be eliminated. Just remember not to let your right hand sign a check your ass cant cash. Have fun and ride safe, good luck too :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.