Is a 426 a good starter bike for me?

28 replies to this topic
  • Kyle Prior

Posted July 20, 2006 - 10:10 PM

Hi, this is my first post here, and I have been doing a bit of reading about different bikes. I found a '00 YZ426 for $1700, and was wondering if this is too much for me to handle as a first bike? I am 5'9, 190 lbs, mostly muscle, not a fatass. Will I be fine on this bike, and not kill myself with the power it makes? I think I should be fine, but I want a few opinions.

• SRT426

Posted July 20, 2006 - 10:21 PM

First off - Why is that bike so cheap? Should be worth at least another $500, depending on condition maybe even a little more. Second, it's a pretty powerfull bike but since your close to 200lbs you would really grow out of anything smaller pretty quick. Just don't twist the grip to hard until your ready and you'll be fine. Not to mention you are getting a really reliable bike with that motor. Also do a search on this site, i believe there was a tranny problem or something with that particular year that you may want to look in to.

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2006 - 10:58 PM

It's so cheap because it's not in California, and because the owner wanted to sell it during the same year he placed the ad.

It's a lot of bike to start out with, but tractable and controllable. Be prudent.

• barch88

Posted July 20, 2006 - 11:15 PM

You will be fine.

• ovrrdrive

Posted July 21, 2006 - 01:27 AM

You'll be perfectly fine with it to learn riding. You'll probably bust your ass a lot, but if you can handle that it is a great, fast bike.

That said, you would have probably twice the fun learning on a smaller bike like a 250f. Especially if you ride at the track. I kick myself sometimes for buying a 450 with my given skill level.

But of course then I do a few throttled up 3rd gear wheelies and all is good. :thumbsup:

• Schreckles

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:43 AM

I'd say go with it...just make sure you realize you're gonna get hurt...that's what I'm startin out with...3 concussions, bruised ribs, etc, etc....and I'm still fine....but I can now pull a 50 footer after only 3 weeks of ridin...you should get used to it quickly

• Terrain Rider 4z

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:58 AM

Just ride within your ability range, it is guys that try to ride above their ability that get hurt seriously and have a short-lived riding experience. :thumbsup:

• coffee

Posted July 21, 2006 - 08:28 AM

Would not be my first choice but if anyone could handle it you can.
On Bumpy off camber trails it is sometimes difficult to keep the throttle where you want it. At least that is my weak point.

Have you been on any bike? This is going to sound lame but my kids took an off road MSF course and they had a variety of bikes to ride. Any chance you are in the Reno area?

• BergArabia

Posted July 21, 2006 - 08:42 AM

If I can hand a YZ450 then you can probably handle a 426.
It is a lot of fun.
I am a long way from experienced and I love my YZ..

• Kyle Prior

Posted July 21, 2006 - 10:46 AM

Cool, my friends assured me its the right bike, and I wanted some more opinions, and it seems the general concensus. I am actually about to go look at it right now. From what I understand, it has Pro Taper bars, along with many other extras.

I actually live in the Las Vegas area...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • barch88

Posted July 21, 2006 - 10:52 AM

I'd say go with it...just make sure you realize you're gonna get hurt...that's what I'm startin out with...3 concussions, bruised ribs, etc, etc....and I'm still fine....but I can now pull a 50 footer after only 3 weeks of ridin...you should get used to it quickly

Don't scare the kid away from riding. I'm sure he knows injuries can happen in this sport, but I havent been hurt bad, other than brusies with my 450f. I think most of the injuries are from how you ride...trying to push your limits when you're not ready.

• Thrash1

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:50 PM

Yz426 First Bike.. Let Me tell Ya... :ride: I'm 5'11" 225.. So were about the same size.

Posted Image

Go for it.. Just remember to not outride your right wrist like others said. :thumbsup:

• centermass

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:53 PM

alot depends on your skill level.. if you have never riden before i'd say be very respectful of the 426 it can bite you in the ass.. nevertheless it's agreat bike i have one myself . i also have an 06 450 and i love them both.. have fun and watch that throttle...

• Ga426owner

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:07 PM

Hi, this is my first post here, and I have been doing a bit of reading about different bikes. I found a '00 YZ426 for $1700, and was wondering if this is too much for me to handle as a first bike? I am 5'9, 190 lbs, mostly muscle, not a fatass. Will I be fine on this bike, and not kill myself with the power it makes? I think I should be fine, but I want a few opinions.

you will be fine as long as you do not get frustrated with the starting technique.... :thumbsup:

• Kyle Prior

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:31 PM

Well, I bought the bike, and got all of my riding gear today. Its a 2000 426 w/ Pro Taper bars, Pro Circuit suspension set for desert and my weight, and a DID chain. It also has radiator guards, a shark fin I guess its called, and half of the plastic is black.

I am nervous about learning, and do realize just by the sound that it can very easily bite me in the ass. ONLY4STROKES from this site is actually taking me out and teaching me how to ride on Sunday, and he was there to look over the bike when I bought it. It starts on the first kick, and sounds amazing... I'm excited and nervous all at the same time...

• barch88

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:44 PM

Sweet, how bout some pics? When riding a thumper stay on the gas all the way off the jump until both wheels leave it.

• Kyle Prior

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:49 PM

Sweet, how bout some pics? When riding a thumper stay on the gas all the way off the jump until both wheels leave it.

I know, but that wont be for a while. Isnt it because the compression will slow it down considerably?

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted July 21, 2006 - 08:29 PM

I know, but that wont be for a while. Isnt it because the compression will slow it down considerably?

Yeah you've got it right, Kyle. Four-strokes are a lot like diesel engines that way, once you let off the gas...the compression braking slows the bike down. So when you're going off of a jump, if you let off before the rear tire clears the lip, the back end of the bike will slow down causing you to do an instant endo over the bars. Not good. You're probably familiar with two-strokes and how they coast when you let off the gas. Well thumpers are the complete opposite of that.

I'll call you tomorrow night to setup whatever time you want to go riding.

Doug

• barch88

Posted July 21, 2006 - 09:02 PM

Yep, ONLY4STROKES, and you are both correct, Engine Braking slows it down.

Have fun with the new bike man!

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted July 21, 2006 - 09:21 PM

Have fun with the new bike man!

Yeah I know he will because he can't stop talking about it on AIM right now. :thumbsup:

Doug

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.