Street - Legal 4- wheeler? Anybody make one?

15 replies to this topic
  • Pit_Man

Posted July 20, 2006 - 05:08 PM

A friend at work asked me and I don't know.
Would it be possible to make a 4-wheeler legal for the road?
I.E. a 400EX or something similar?

• seehenry

Posted July 20, 2006 - 06:12 PM

I have seen plated quads in the mountain town east of here. There is an understanding that the quad is not really legal but they hand out the plates to people interested in linking trails and crossing some of the county dirt roads in the hills. I can't imagine it would be legal to go riding around the city on one.

• RLthumper

Posted July 20, 2006 - 06:28 PM

ya i have a street legal 4-wheeler. :ride:

its called a mustang :thumbsup:

• x2468

Posted July 20, 2006 - 06:32 PM

they are street legal in spain and some places in europe. but no where in the states. in order to street legalize it, you have to get a custom swingarm in the rear that makes it a 3-wheeler (2 wheels infront, 1 in back). now TRIKES, those unbeleivably safe inventions are street legal.

• Tilson51

Posted July 20, 2006 - 06:34 PM

theres no legal 4 wheeler in the states lol :thumbsup:

• XR75_Racer

Posted July 20, 2006 - 07:16 PM

This is a joke yes they can be plated around here half the four wheelers sold are plated for the street and never even see dirt, and they are very popular for cruising around in town with... its just a brake light, horn, mirror, and a headlight, turn signals are optional

• jjcmx05

Posted July 20, 2006 - 07:29 PM

Bike week in daytona theres a guy with a 400ex with 20 in chrome spinners on it... he has his plated in ny some how??

• AHerm87

Posted July 20, 2006 - 07:36 PM

I know a guy who has a plated 400EX here in South Carolina. But he lives in a dinky town and he said the police probably wouldn't pull him over even if he wasn't plated.
I think it'd be a waste unless you used it to travel to your riding spots. Knobbies get eaten fast on the road. Especially with a torque machine like the 400EX. Every time you downshift you'll leave a skid mark.

• HawkGT

Posted July 20, 2006 - 09:05 PM

It varies state to state. I've got a buddy with a plated Raptor700. Quads don't make very good road machines though...

• Chickenhauler

Posted July 21, 2006 - 03:13 AM

To truly be legal, you'd have to ditch the ATV tires and install a tire that has "Highway Use" molded in the sidewall, install a steel tank, if not already equipped (that's the dumbest thing I ever heard of, but :thumbsup: ), have brake and turn signals, reflectors as prescribed by your state, a battery, horn and mirrors.

Oh, next comes the fun part, liability insurance. Finding an underwriter to issue a highway use liability policy might be a challenge.

Now to get a state to issue a plate might be really fun.

• Matt2105

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:13 AM

Since it has four wheels would you not need any type of safety restraints such as a seatbelt?

• Dodger

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:34 AM

A friend at work asked me and I don't know.
Would it be possible to make a 4-wheeler legal for the road?
I.E. a 400EX or something similar?

You can plate them in S. Dakota.

• Triple B

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:53 AM

This one is plated in AZ
http://www.exriders....threadid=243351

• CRF100biker

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:14 AM

And I thought they were bad off-road. :thumbsup: But my friend's Blaster somehow has a plate on it and I saw this guy's Banshee with a plate on it. I think it was just something he took off another ATV and put it on that so he could just ride to the gas station to fill it up.

• Kev_XR

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:33 AM

Ford, GM, Crysler, Toyota, Honda...

I think you can plate a golf cart, but not a quad in most states.

Maybe the Feds need more crash test dummies for testing quads. :thumbsup:

• RiverRat

Posted July 21, 2006 - 06:56 AM

I was driving 78 east to Havasu (via glamis) and a quad passed me going around 90mph!

I've seen plated quads in az.

Related Content

Wiki
Motocross Cylinder Head Quiz by Fastheads.com - last post by Fastheads (BK)

Motocross Cylinder Head Quiz by Fastheads.com

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Ride 2015 CRF450 by Hillguitar

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF450R
  • 19 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 crf250 fork seal leak by cr250-04

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250R
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

the all ***new*** YZ250FX by SUnruh

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR/YZ 250F
  • Hot  112 replies
Forums
Photo

Adventure Mods XR650R -02 by petermonsler

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.