thinking about the DSP power now???

5 replies to this topic
  • elcamino76

Posted July 20, 2006 - 07:04 AM

i know this has been talked about but the stupid search is downs i tried searching last night but no luck, i just havent had any time. so my question is if the power now is worth the money for the 450's or is there something else i should look into for the money??? whats a good price for these????

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2006 - 07:42 AM

The concept of the Power Now is to improve air flow into the carb at throttle openings of less than half with the intention of improving part throttle performance. In a 250F, they actually do accomplish some improvement. However, the 450's, particularly the earlier ones, are already unbelievably snappy and IMO, there isn't anything to be gained from using one. The '05 was a bit softer off the bottom, and to a lesser extent so is the '06, but that's due to differences in the ignition map, not a problem with the carb, and it can be addressed, if you want, with a programmable ignition like a Vortex.

I believe the Power Now is a waste of money on the big YZF.

• elcamino76

Posted July 20, 2006 - 07:59 AM

yeah thats what i thought, thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aford541

Posted July 20, 2006 - 09:06 PM

The concept of the Power Now is to improve air flow into the carb at throttle openings of less than half with the intention of improving part throttle performance. In a 250F, they actually do accomplish some improvement. However, the 450's, particularly the earlier ones, are already unbelievably snappy and IMO, there isn't anything to be gained from using one. The '05 was a bit softer off the bottom, and to a lesser extent so is the '06, but that's due to differences in the ignition map, not a problem with the carb, and it can be addressed, if you want, with a programmable ignition like a Vortex.

I believe the Power Now is a waste of money on the big YZF.

I have the power now plus on the front and back of the carb of my 06 and love them.
I had the same setup on my 05 which made the bike fee like all bottom and midrange even after porting the head and flowing the carb. The 06 likes it as the new ignition curve has less initial advance and has more over rev capability than the 05.
Consequently the 06 is a little more soft off the bottom but not mine!
I need the torque to get my butt off the corner.

• Premo

Posted July 20, 2006 - 09:26 PM

i know this has been talked about but the stupid search is downs i tried searching last night but no luck, i just havent had any time. so my question is if the power now is worth the money for the 450's or is there something else i should look into for the money??? whats a good price for these????

There is more than enough info here to make one for next to nothing and try it out for yourself.

My experience has been they rob a bit of top for little gain in throttle response.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:20 AM

Your 03 will get the best bang for the buck with a JD Jet kit and the JD Accell pump kit.

I have the Powernow, Quickshot, Twinair powerflow kit, JD Jet kit on my 03.
the powernow just adds some crispness to the throttle response that is all for 89/99 bucks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

BIGBORE FOR YZ450F 2006? by Taattie94

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Wilson the Blue Privateer by jetfuel

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  50 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.