Yamaha parts gurus, PLZ help

10 replies to this topic
  • johnnyjeep

Posted July 19, 2006 - 04:08 PM

My sons TTR90 fuel tank cracked and Yamaha wants $280 for one. I only paid $600 for the bike. Anyone know of a used parts place. You guys have helped with my WR, so I washoping someone could pull through with this one.

John in Vegas

• firezwr426

Posted July 19, 2006 - 05:42 PM

keep your eye on ebay... it will turn up... :thumbsup:

• Bamster

Posted July 20, 2006 - 05:20 AM

Try placing an ad here. It is a vintage MX swap meet but I have seen some late model stuff go through. I placed an ad a few years back for a YZ 400 seat and tank and got both for 50 bucks.
http://www.vintagemx...in/swapmeet.cgi

• Premo

Posted July 20, 2006 - 02:15 PM

Just repair it. If you find a second hand one, great, but repairing it is sufficiant.

• johnnyjeep

Posted July 20, 2006 - 08:03 PM

Just repair it. If you find a second hand one, great, but repairing it is sufficiant.

whats the best way to repair it?
John in Vegas

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Premo

Posted July 20, 2006 - 08:28 PM

You can get gas tank repair kit to do that job.
Just google it.

I have seen everything from epoxy glue to jb weld used to fix leaks, with great success too.

Seeing as it's your sons, I shouldn't get too hard of time, the repairs I have seen and done were on "big" bikes.

• Fryboy

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:46 AM

I don't know if it's just me but.....

I'd never f***** fix a gas tank. Sure there may be some crap out there to fill in the cracks and perhaps offer a temporary fix. Do you really want to take the chance? Let me ask you, how much is your son worth? I sure hope more than 3 hund. I mean no offense but it just amazes me what some people will do. I'd say, if it was your bike, and you felt comfortable with the likeliness of your crotch getting a petrolium bath, and perhaps getting engulfed in flames then feel free, but I would NEVER PUT MY CHILD in harms way.

Hope you make the right decision

• Valerie Wilson

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:06 AM

Shoot the TT Store an email or call. Maybe we can hunt an aftermarket one down for you.

• 642MX

Posted July 21, 2006 - 03:49 PM

My sons TTR90 fuel tank cracked and Yamaha wants $280 for one. I only paid $600 for the bike. Anyone know of a used parts place. You guys have helped with my WR, so I washoping someone could pull through with this one.

John in Vegas

Surf the net. There are always cheaper prices out there besides your dealer. I looked the tank up on this web site and it was $185.

• johnnyjeep

Posted July 21, 2006 - 04:59 PM

Shoot the TT Store an email or call. Maybe we can hunt an aftermarket one down for you.

Unless they offer me o/t, im off on mon. If I am ill just stop by, Brian (i think it was him) said he wanted to see my bike after I get that 6.6 gal tank on.
I found a web site that will email your parts request to bike salvage yaerds accross the country and they came up with 2 of them. I need to call them when I get the time to see what they want for them.

John in Vegas

• johnnyjeep

Posted July 21, 2006 - 05:03 PM

I don't know if it's just me but.....

I'd never f***** fix a gas tank. Sure there may be some crap out there to fill in the cracks and perhaps offer a temporary fix. Do you really want to take the chance? Let me ask you, how much is your son worth? I sure hope more than 3 hund. I mean no offense but it just amazes me what some people will do. I'd say, if it was your bike, and you felt comfortable with the likeliness of your crotch getting a petrolium bath, and perhaps getting engulfed in flames then feel free, but I would NEVER PUT MY CHILD in harms way.

Hope you make the right decision

It would have had to have been one hell of a permanant fix for me to do it.
My point wasnt that Jr wasnt worth 3 bills, it just kind of chaps my ass to have to pay $280 for a piece of plastic for a bike thats only worth $600.

John in Vegas

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.