Honda 650XL

7 replies to this topic
  • Don123

Posted July 19, 2006 - 12:49 PM

I am having a high speed wobble, this after replacing the front tire.
All the spokes are tight, both front and back wheels are true. The
wobble starts about 70 mph (Fwy) ???????? Help

• SniperTeamBravo

Posted July 19, 2006 - 01:24 PM

Tyre is out of ballance, or out of round. Either have the tyre ballanced or take it back to the place you bought it from and have it replaced. That or the tube may be squirley in the tyre...take to tyre off the rim if you installed it and reinstall it or take it somewhere to have it ballanced.

• HondaXR650L

Posted July 19, 2006 - 03:20 PM

Just because the spokes are tight, does not mean that the rim is true. :thumbsup: I've had that happen to me, easiest way to fix that is take it to a shop and have them adjust it.

• R3508

Posted July 19, 2006 - 05:33 PM

Check to be sure that the tire is beaded on the wheel properly. I just put a new front on my 83 XL600R and had trouble seating the bead. The effort paid off and I can cruise @ 70mph. No need to balance or have my wheel trued, be sure to use lots of tire soap!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motomonte

Posted July 20, 2006 - 02:49 AM

You should really adress that problem SOON,I had the same problem and it led to a very painfull tankslapper at high speed.Same problem:wheel improperly mounted/defective(what can you expect from a $36 tire?)and chassis set up to low up front.Get that wobble fixed and get a steering damper.Wobbles/tankslapers hurt.

• motomonte

Posted July 20, 2006 - 02:58 AM

Forgot to mention,check the wheel bearings for looseness and check your stem bearings too.Good luck,be safe.

• Motosprtman

Posted July 20, 2006 - 10:34 AM

I must be just lucky! always change my own tires and no problems. I use the tire black stuff and spray that on the bead and the tube (in fact I massage the tube with it prior to installation, then lip the tube into the tire casing , push the stem up through the rim and them push the bead onto the rim. Most times I can get 3/4 of teh tire onto the rim by hand / knee pressure (use carpenter knee pads), last 1/4 of tire I spoon on. check the tire to make sure the bead is set deep into the rim and then inflate - slight pop - pop as the bead is set upon inflation. then I roll em a bit to make sure they are true, check pressure, let set for an hour and check again (never install right away - should you have a leaky one). works for me! I did my Dunlop 606's that way and they are good to go!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted July 21, 2006 - 07:51 AM

The XRL is wobble-prone- I can feel my bike wanting to, the front feels a bit loose at speed, but it doesn't wobble on its own.

What tire did you mount up?

Dave

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.