Electric Start stoped working! Please Help

13 replies to this topic
  • TheSacrament588

Posted July 18, 2006 - 06:54 PM

i have a 06 wr450 and the electric start stople working, one night i left the power on and it killed the batery, i kick startewd the bike the next day and charged the battery and now the electric start just wont work i push the button and nothing happend and advice? thanks :thumbsup: :ride: :cry:

• EatDirt5

Posted July 18, 2006 - 07:00 PM

OH GOD!!!!!!! I can't help u but wat if u can't fix it, u can't go without a happy button...this isn't good, we need serious help here FAST!!!!!!!

• TheSacrament588

Posted July 18, 2006 - 07:08 PM

yea thats right i cant go with out my happy button..UMMM NO! maybe it's because it's a new bike like 2 months old and u dont want shit goin wrong with it and when something does go wrong u want 2 fix it

• djv5

Posted July 19, 2006 - 04:09 AM

The stock battery is very weak, check the archives for the AutoZone replacement battery. It is more powerful and comes with a warranty. Cost was about $35. I made the switch and am very happy.

• GCannon

Posted July 19, 2006 - 08:42 AM

Lets do some testing first. What is the battery voltage with ignition off what is the battery voltage with ignition on ? what is the battery voltage with starter button on?
did you charge the battery with a battery charger? Don't fry it thay don't like heavy charges (hi amprage) it is not a car battery. Lets find the problem before we start buying stuff.

• kskyles

Posted July 19, 2006 - 09:34 AM

I'd get a Battery Tender and give it a good charge before trying anything else.

Then I agree with the previous post to start checking your voltages.

• mtrablue

Posted July 19, 2006 - 10:58 AM

the wr battery doesn't last to long if the switch is left on and the charging system will have a tough time getting it back to 100%. get a battery tender (or other low amp trickle charger). most have some sort of plug in the line that allows you to leave the wires attached to the battery. just stick the plug into the top of the air box and you can get to it by taking off the air filter cover. no need to remove the seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RichBaker

Posted July 19, 2006 - 05:52 PM

The battery is a quality item, just too many people leave the switch on....I still have the original battery in my 03....

• ttr225ttr

Posted July 19, 2006 - 06:57 PM

Ive done this a few times, after taking out the battery and charging it I put it back in without tightening down the terminal screws all the way. Make sure that all your connections are tight or else it wont be getting all the power of the battery.

• Moto5

Posted July 20, 2006 - 05:10 AM

Buy a good mutimeter, they are very handy to have around. I also agree a Battery Tender will save you from a lot of hassles.

• drtbk4ever

Posted July 20, 2006 - 07:20 AM

Been there and done that.

Late one night I went through the garage to let the Dog out and there was a little red glow coming from the corner of the garage. It took me a little bit to figure out what was going on. I hooked up my battery tender for a few hours the next day and it was good as new. And this is on an 04.

• Beejay

Posted July 22, 2006 - 06:39 AM

My 06 sometimes gets stuck & won't turn the motort over, I have on an occasion or two left my ignition on. I thought the sprag gear or similar was packing in, maybe I just need to recharge the battery from what I read here.

• PBDBLUE

Posted July 22, 2006 - 06:57 AM

My 06 sometimes gets stuck & won't turn the motort over, I have on an occasion or two left my ignition on. I thought the sprag gear or similar was packing in, maybe I just need to recharge the battery from what I read here.

Most likely there is nothing wrong with your battery. Occasionally the engine will stop on the compression stroke and the starter motor does not have enough force to turn it over and engage the auto-decomp. Just put the bike in gear and rock it a bit to move the engine past TDC. Happens occasionally to both my WR's. A slight design flaw but no big deal.

• Beejay

Posted July 22, 2006 - 07:04 AM

Thanks, PBDBLUE that is exactly what I do rock it in gear & all is okay after that. :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.